Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 10 das post op an like you i had real problems with the gas in the shoulder but it does ease and i think i felt so rotten at day 3 because of the effects of the anesthestic , hold on in there things do improve

I am so glad to read that other people have had this same pain I have. At my daughters birthday party two days ago, I had to get up and leave because my shoulder and ribs were hurting so bad. And this was 8 days after surgery. I can't figure out exactly when it's going to hit me, after I eat, before I eat, if I eat, or whether or not I am walking or not. It is

frustrating!

Oh Deanna, you took the words right out of my mouth! No one warned me, lol!

Today at work I had to walk over a mile! I guess that is God's way of telling me to get busy!!

Thanks for everyone who replied and offered suggestions or just shared the misery :D It is day 6 and today was horrible. I am not getting my liquids in nor my protien. I finally called the Dr today but was told just to take something for nausea. I didnt make it through the whole day at work...close..had to quit at 3:30 instead of 5. Maybe tomorrow will be better but right now I am wondering if I made the right decision. My stomach is so swollen......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Thanks for listening to me complain.

Susan

Remember, your diaphragm was stretched in this surgery. It is not ONLY gas. Your doctor did quite a bit of digging around in the area and it will take time for some things to heal. Think of your diaphragm as a stretched out T-shirt. It doesn't just snap right back. It will take time. Are you using the incentive spirometer to breathe into? Are you walking every single time you think of it? The shoulder pain could come and go for weeks after your surgery. Some of us even had instant pain in the shoulder or lower rib area while eating too quickly or getting to that 'stop' sign time of eating. Your body will be talking a whole new language to you, but I promise, this too will pass. Keep walking!

Thanks for the kick in the butt Leatha. I was doing those things but maybe not to the extent of what I should be. So I changed my stinking thinking last night and got up facing a whole new day with a new attitude. I really want to get better and get used to the band, learning how to work with it. Thanks again

Susan

Susan- it seems that we are at opposite ends! I am not really in pain anymore, but I AM HUNGRY! I did weigh today and I am down 10lbs for the first week. I am supposed to be on liquids or anything that will fit through a straw. I don't cook, so I really don't know what to try to eat. I am really upset that I am so hungry. I guess I will go drink more Soup, LOL!

My attitude stinks today. I think it is just from working with 60 women who love to complain!!!

Ok, thanks for letting me vent!!

Was talking to a friend tonight who said that when she drinks Crystal Light she gets gas...Susan

One thing to watch.....sorbitol. Sorbitol can be a HUGE offender and cause gas (and potentially diarreah). I have to read all labels avoid sorbitol in everything (my innaugeral experience with sorbitol was "Velamints"....brrrrrrr....it was NOT FUN).

Day 4 for me. Right shoulder KILLING me. Anybody try the doggie cure? Did it help?

Today was a lot better. I was up at 4:30 (not by choice) and got my expense reports done (always a good thing) and then took the dog for a walk, went grocery shopping, did some laundry, worked more in the office, did some drive by house hunting, took the dog for another walk, changed the bedding, another walk with the pooch, fixed dinner and only had one episode where the pain was bad enough to lay down for about 15 mins. Oh I did talk an hr out to watch Dr Phil LOL.

Part of my problem is that I am not a cook either. So I really dont know what to fix. I did cut back to more clear things today instead of creamy which seemed to help. My weight is down quite a bit but wont report that until I see the Dr on Monday for the offical weigh in (just to make sure my scales are right). I have been hungry these last few days but trying to deal with that. Its amazing when you cant eat real food what kind of smells you can pick up. I swear I can smell what the neighbors are cooking LOL.

Thanks for the advice on the Sorbitol. Not sure what it is but I will start looking for it Kacee. 4RE4ME- I tried the doggie thing...I guess it probably did help but I think its truely the moving around and walking a lot that really gets it going. Try walking then the doggie thing.

Ginger-I think its a good thing when we reconize that our attitude stinks but we also have to get out of the funk. I felt so bad yesterday and as embarrassed as I am to say, I truely walked around like I was an invalid. Heck sat in my outdoor lounger, with a blanket and a book. Which is fine....but not when I need to be up moving and trying to get better! So lets keep kicking each other along....we cant really move to the next step if we dont work on getting through this phase. Hang in there!! You also have 3 little ones, dont know how you do it...whewwwww.

Have a great weekend and Happy Mothers Day to all the moms. Talk with you soon

Susan

Susan- sounds like you did a lot today! After one week, I am down 10lbs according to my scale. Today was taxing at work, then I slept for 4 solid hours! I needed that nap! Shoulder is improving today. I watched dr. phil after work too! My kids have been great. They have so many people wanting to care for them (we are truly blessed) that they are ok when I am down. Our biggest problem tonight is that they napped with me for a while, lol, now they are wide awake at bedtime!

I am thinking of trying to sleep in my bed tonight. I'll let you all know how that goes!

okay people...how are you guys doing?? just wondering if you are all feeling better. keeping you in my thoughts

susan

Syrah, Funny you should say that... I did go to work Friday for a few hrs and had not taken any pain med since the night before. After I worked alittle I went to refill the pain med and after I left the store I was so tired I had ran in to the back of a very nice guy. LOL It wasn't bad and didn't do any damage to his truck but I have a nice little hitch reciever square on my bumper. I knew I didn't feel like trying to work. So if any one reads this you know how you feel and don't try to do any thing till you feel you are ready. Thanks for your concern Syrah. And Today I feel wonderful and things are great! Happy Mother's Day too All! Randaree