Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal?? Please help!

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while, but I felt the need to post today. I was banded on 4/30 (a week ago today) and am doing quite well. The question is, up until day 5 (Saturday) I had to sip all liquids s-l-o-w-l-y or I'd feel like it was backing up. Even Water. Suddenly, on Sunday I was able to drink much faster. Today, I can practically gulp my ensure (relatively thick) without any issue. Could my band have slipped already? I'm starving all the time and nothing in my liquid diet arsenal seems to help.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!

Hey. I was also banded on 4/30 and have been able to gulp Water the whole time with no problems. I called my doctor because I was worried about that and he said everything was fine and that everyone was different. My doctor only required a 1 week liquid diet so I am in mashed potato heaven today. Where were you banded?

I hope this helped.

Banded 4/30/07

Dr. Clifton Thomas

Renassaince Hospital-Houston

Surgery Weight-237

Current Weight-223

Goal Weight-145

weight.png

Hi, I was banded on 4/10 and experienced the same thing as you. I had to sip my Water otherwise I would feel like my stomach was filling up with air. That eventually went away and I can now drink liquids w/out a problem. As for the hunger, it gets better. Remember that your band really isn't working until you've had your first fill so all the liquids you drink go right through to your lower stomach. As we all know, chicken broth just doesn't fill you up. The positive is the liquid diet does help you lose a little weight pre-fill. Good luck!

Thanks for the reassurances. It just seemed to happen so suddenly (literally overnight) going from tiny sips to larger gulps. I'm self-pay so I want to make sure everything is normal! I got my band "installed" by Dr. Robert Alleyn in McAllen, Texas. So far things are going well. I've been hungry since day 5, but I know I need to get more Protein. I've been holding my nose while drinking isopure--the most revolting beverage ever made. But t $4 a bottle (I bought 3), I figure I should get it down any way possible. I started full liquids on day 6 (one day early) and I do feel better. I've been drinking chocolate ensure 1-2 times a day--despite knowing it is too high in sugar. It is probably adding to the hunger! Anyway, it's nice to meet a couple recent "bandsters!" Best of luck in your journeys!!

Hi. I was banded on May 1st in Denver. I feel hunger coming on and it scares me a little. I'm afraid to over do it and think about band slippage as well. I sounds like we all are thinking the same thing. It's nice to hear all of you. Be well.

PS-Still on the liquid diet; is the only way to get Protein through those shakes? I need food ideas.

Hey Everyone,

My name is Valerie. I had my lap band on 5/4/07:clap2: My insurance did not pay so I had to pay cash. My first day after surgery was not all that great. But I want to tell any one that needs the advice to walk, walk, and walk some more. I love all the helpful hints. I wish I would have seen this forum prior to surgery date. I was not given postop advice. I am talking about 1st days after surgery. Today is a better day.

Thanks for making me feel much better,

Valerie

I am SO nerveous, anxious, excited etc... It was nice to hear of some other people "self-paying." I am also a self pay patient - using our savings - ALL of it - and that's the scary part....what if something goes wrong.....what if I am miserable......Please tell me you had the same emotional roller coaster ride.:phanvan Thanks for sharing.

I am SO nerveous, anxious, excited etc... It was nice to hear of some other people "self-paying." I am also a self pay patient - using our savings - ALL of it - and that's the scary part....what if something goes wrong.....what if I am miserable......Please tell me you had the same emotional roller coaster ride.:phanvan Thanks for sharing.

The emotional roller coaster will likely get worse before better..Not saying that for any other reason but experience. I was a self pay too and I was scared nervous the whole nine yards...then after surgery I was fine UNTIL the next day on the way home..I fell apart!!! I couldnt for the life of me figure out what I had just done to myself and why I couldnt just be one of the skinny girls....BUT that pasted too. It is quite a ride but not one that you cant handle. This site is the BEST and if I hadnt of been on here before being banded I probably would of thought I was dying!! But I knew to walk walk walk and thats what I did...I was up and peeing as soon as they put me in my room and I wanted to walk and they wouldnt let me...TOO SOOn they said..I said...OH NO IT ISNT...I am walking NOW!!! Everyone on this site is very well informed, some even though they are not banded yet too!! Everyone is so willing to help you through and answer questions, and its like a mini family...home away from home....lets just say..soon you wont be able to leave this site to even go to bed!!! :notagree :notagree I eat sleep and LOVE lap band talk forum!! Good luck to you and just cry if you have too...even if you dont know why you are crying...it sure helps and you will feel much better!! Deanna

One thing I can tell you is after surgery walk, walk, and walk. I am still trying to remember no pain no gain. I had the emotional roller coaster ride after the surgery. Thinking what have I done to my self. I will let you know I feel better today. Where are you having this done? It will be okay. Keep your chin up and I will too.

Val