Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Surgery Date

All of you are right. I take care of my mom and I'd do whatever for her. I have always put everyone before myself. And you're right it's time to look out for myself. My mom used to tell me that "you can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself", because you won't have the energy. She was another reason I decided to go ahead with the surgery. She would say "I wish you would lose a little of that weight". So now the time is here. So thanks with the first day nerves.

I agree don't test the juicing until later on . Best to be safe that sorry.

HI Megan, welcome to the October group.

Yes, karenAllen was having exactly the same problem and her NUT told her to drink more fluids. I think she was up to 94 oz which I thought was an incredible amount since I struggle drinking 64 oz per day but it worked for her. Drink plenty of Water. How much is plenty? 94 oz apparently! How much are you drinking?

I drink 2-3 Nalgene bottles of Water a day - it's 32oz big, and knowing that I need to get through at least two makes it easy. I've been doing it for months and my skin looks so much better. Somehow the big bottle is easier than a bunch of little ones that I will lose track off. :) I like my system so I hope it works after surgery too!

OMG,

I remembered a friend of mine (she's a nurse) talking about ketoacidosis and leg cramps with high Protein low carb diets. I looked it up and the ketone excretion process is such that it dehydrates you. More Water is indeed the solution for the leg cramps. Assuming I read this correctly on my research. Obviously, I am not a medical doctor but it is very interesting. They even sell ketone test strips for urine in the pharmacy. Diabetics use them as I found out.

My surgery is about 12 days. It's the middle of the night in the UK and I am wide awake because my stomach is gnawing at itself. I have been on the liquid diet for 2 days and am really struggling. Does it get easier? Any suggestions to help with the horrible cramps and exhaustion?

My surgeon has put me on 4 slimfast shakes a day and nothing else. I keep having low calorie cordial drinks too because I'm so empty feeling. is that bad? I'm so exhausted but I can't sleep bevause of the stomach ache. I just took a sleeping pill and hoping it doesnt make me sick.

I know it will be worth it in the long run, and I am already losing weight. I won't risk fucking up my surgery. but is there anything I can do to help me thru this part? Advice hugely appreciated. x

I have not gone through that phase yet but, I understand drinking plenty of Water - over 64 oz helps. I must say yours is the most drastic 12 day diet I have seen on the boards. But it seems there is a lot of variety when it comes to pre-diet.

Well, shoot!! I'm actually looking forward to the liquid diet, LOL.. I know, I'm nuts. But I love that totally cleaned out, no bloating feeling. And to see the scale actually drop will be a miracle for me. Mine has been stuck for so long! LOL.

Of course, feeling like I'm dying of starvation for the first several days isn't all that fun.

Is it 2 weeks you have to do? We're here for you!

I looked forward to the liquid diet just because it meant surgery was only 2 weeks away. I am on day 4. chicken broth has been a life saver. I have not been hungry. Start of small headache if I go too long between Protein shakes. I am good as long as there is no more than 3 hours.

Good luck to you all. 10 days to surgery!! Super excited.

Just found out yesterday, my surgery is tentatively set for Oct. 22nd, (pending insurance approval) I will have to do a 2 week pre-op diet. 4 sugar free carnation instant Breakfast shakes a day mixed with....water (ugh). Well I can have 1 cup of skim milk a day, so I might put 1/4 C Water in all four. Not looking forward to that part but ready (I think for surgery)! I can have two sugar free jello's and two sugar free popcycles a day also Whoop! Whoop! lol!

Hi everyone, now that some of us have started to buy and drink Protein Shakes are there any favorites as far as taste. I think vanilla and chocolate is were I'll start. I went GNC but was not sure which to buy.

Congrats brown eyed gal, that's so great.

Hurray for Jello and popsicles. I too am going down that road. My bypass is Oct 28th.

My surgery is October 22 in Bellevue Wa. Meeting with surgeon and dietician on October1. Thanks for all your posts. Helping me!

GNC had some ok Protein powders but I'm also really picky about ingredients. For that reason I'll be sticking to unflavored Protein powder. However, I've heard good things about Isopure powder which you can get at GNC and on Amazon and unjury chocolate Splendor is good.

Edited by JerzyTomato74

My surgery is October 22 in Bellevue Wa. Meeting with surgeon and dietician on October1. Thanks for all your posts. Helping me!

Hey grammajake I am in WA too. Good luck to you. Mine is Oct. 7th.

Ok, so I posted in the nutrition section but I bought some fair life milk which has 13 g of Protein per serving, they come in skim, 2% regular and choclate. I mixed it with nectar protein powder(23 g protein). So I did 12 oz milk and the protein packet 2 days ago. I drank it right before bed and it seriously lasted me until noon. It was insane. I think it might have been a little too much protein at one time (43 g all together) because I felt seriously bloated. I was not hungry at all! I feel that if I happen to get really hungry on my self induced liquid diet phase that I will do that same thing again. I maintained my Water intake so I wasn't dehydrated at all. I got about 90 oz in that day.