Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight training and cals

Hi there,

I'm over a year, lost 96lb, and weigh 165. I'm bouncing with 3lbs now and want to loose fat now and tone. I'm starting with a trainer next week and we had the assessment last week. He wants me to eat more. I'm having a hard time putting on muscle and he says it's because I'm not eating enough. My cals are 1000-1100 and exercising everyday. He wants me eating 1400 and every 2 hrs, and more whole foods. I'm excited to try this WOE in combo with weight training. I'm hoping to see how much I can tighten up without surgery.

I wish there was an exercise forum.

Does the trainer know you had surgery for weight loss? Does he/she have experience with that? Before you increase calories, talk with your doctor and nut to be sure this is ok. It probably is but I would check with them first.

I used to work with a personal trainer but he wouldn't have had a clue about how to adapt to people with surgery. BUT, working with a personal trainer can be really good. Having an appointment makes me actually show up to work out. Actually, he came to my house which was even harder to avoid! lol. It's awesome to have someone guide you through a workout. It makes it more fun and more of a workout which gives you better benefits.

We SHOULD be talking about exercise!

I'm not getting surgery until next month but I am dead set on muscle training as I lose weight after surgery. I don't want to bulk up by any means. I just want to avoid that "skinny fat" look I've seen on people that lose 100+ pounds without exercise.

I've been exploring options, like getting a trainer. When I was thin (8 years back), I did Pilate's. I wonder if that would give me the muscle definition I'm seeking without getting bulky. I've thought about home fitness equipment, but it would be too expensive and I have no idea what equip. would target all areas.

You are right, there should be more talk about fitness/weight training. I think it would be important to do weight training short after surgery. Not sure how long you have to wait, however.

Good for you!

I started working with a trainer about 8 weeks post-op (I'm 2 years post-op now) and the first thing he did was work with my nutritionist to up my calories...and yes, my carbs, too! I was afraid to do it and thought it was impossible but after a few weeks was able to get in around 1100-1200 calories, 70 gm Protein and 115 gm healthy carbs a day...he also got me up to 3 liters of Water a day. It made a huge difference in my workouts, overall energy and weight loss!

One thing he's always insisted on is Protein within 30 min after working out to build muscle. I always have a Protein Drink ready to go for after my workout. Sometimes I'll eat actual food but in case I don't have time I always have my drink.

I've been at goal for quite a while now and find it very easy to maintain. I am still working with my trainer 4 days a week...love it! I do still eat 5-6 times a day and eat very clean because I just feel better but I also don't beat myself up over a piece of bday cake either. ????

Good luck and please keep us posted!