Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SEPTEMBER 2014 POST-OP SLEEVERS CHECKING IN!

I was sleeved on 9/17. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. Everything went well. I had no nausea thank god. I did have some pain right out of the OR, but they got it under control quick. I still can't get all my Protein or fluids in. It takes me for ever to finish anything. My only issue is the tiredness. Omg, I walk and I feel like I ran a marathon. I hope everyone has a speedy and uneventful recovery. =)

I was sleeved on the 17th as well and I know what you mean about the tiredness. After my walks I actually feel energized so I'll run a couple errands, but after about 2 hours or so I have to come home to rest/nap and my doctor wants me to go back to work Thursday. :-(

I was sleeved on 9/17. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. Everything went well. I had no nausea thank god. I did have some pain right out of the OR, but they got it under control quick. I still can't get all my Protein or fluids in. It takes me for ever to finish anything. My only issue is the tiredness. Omg, I walk and I feel like I ran a marathon. I hope everyone has a speedy and uneventful recovery. =)

I was sleeved on 9/3 and I still have trouble getting in all my protein. I just keep pushing and will eventually get it. Although I hate the taste, Isopure RTD has been the best option for me. I drink half the bottle before lunch and the other half after lunch. It leaves my evenings open to push Water. I feel great, but I remember going through the tired stage right after surgery. Good luck with your new journey!!

I was sleeved on the 16th. Stayed overnight in the hospital and was released the following evening. Dr. said it went textbook smooth, but I had a rough couple of hours when I was moved from Recovery to my room as it took 11 hits of morphine at 10 minute intervals before I finally got comfortable. Found out the hard way that stuff I could drink before surgery I can't take now. Protein Shakes now give me intensely painful gas - took several doses of Gas-X and 36 intensely painful hours to get that under control. I can do small doses of unflavored Protein Powder in my liquid diet, so that seems to be working. Have been walking 1/2 a mile a couple of times a day in addition to puttering around the house. Getting liquids in has been a challenge, but I am getting in close to 50 ounces a day in now. Jello and Kefir seem to be my 2 go-to foods that sit best right now. Been napping a lot. Am sleeping in a recliner, because if I go below a certain angle it feels more acidic/painful? First post-op visit is this Friday, but I don't advance past liquid foods until 21 days post op.

I was sleeved on the 18th (4 days post-op today). Had an enlarged liver and spleen which meant I needed a blood transfusion during my surgery. In the OR for 4 1/2 hours. Spent that night clucking away at the morphine button with very little help in easing the discomfort. Had a catheter put in as well. Stayed in the hospital until Saturday morning and was on IV fluids entire time. I'm home now with very little discomfort. I am able to walk about 500 feet before needing to rest. sleeping is okay...I am able to lie down flat without much discomfort. Taking Tylenol for pain management. Having no problems with fluids. Was told by Dr. to stay away from any meds to relieve gas, so gas pains come and go naturally. First post-op is this Thursday :-)

I went to see my PCP today. And she changed my prilosec to protonix since I'm having really hard time with the Protein Shakes. They cause me so much freakin' PAIN. Then I took a walk and filled my prescriptions. I was out for about 3 hours and I have no energy left. Need a nap.

Hi all! My name is Karen I am new Bariatric pal... But I was sleeved on 9/2/14 and down now 20 lbs. Overall since surgery, everything has gone smoothly. I am starting the soft solids part phase tomorrow.

I do have a quick question.. has anyone started having heartburn?? I have never had chronic heartburn before, but now I feel like everything I eat is causing it. Any recommendations on what OTC meds work well for this? I am currently living on rolaids while I wait for my surgeon's office to call back.

Thank you!

I bought liquid Multi Vitamins through www.pipingrock.com I just started my multi Vitamins today and I don't mind the taste of this one either.

~Karen

I was sleeved on the 3rd and recovery has been pretty uneventful. I had my post op yesterday and everything appears to be on track. I am currently on full liquids with a few exceptions, such as thinned mashed potatoes. I've been taking Pepcid and haven't had any heartburn issues, although I think the acid is what causes the "hunger" I feel at times. Last night I had a strange episode of gas pains that plagued me all night, which sucks since I'm working from home today. Feeling very foggy and tired. Not sure what caused the gas? Still feeling some this am. I also started my Multivitamin for the first time yesterday and it was absolutely horrid! Think I'm going to try a chewable instead.

To Karen:

My doctor prescribed Protonix (Generic name: Pantoprazole DR 40 MG Tab) for acidity. I take it evey morning. Result: No acid reflux and no pain.

I also take: Zofran (Generic name: Ondansetron 4 MG Tab) for nausea. I am allowed 1 to 2 tablets for nausea every 4 to 6 hours. I have taken it once a day.

He prescribes these as a matter of regular practice. Every one of his patients gets these meds, knowing that most people will not take meds when they do not need them.

sleeved on 9/2/14 - i have lost 26 lbs so far and havent had any problems at all!!!

Hi all! I was sleeved 9/9 so far stuck to yogurt, broth and shakes. Anyone moved on to purees? Any good ideas for food in this stage? Are some still working on full liquids? Paying attention and post op 28lbs, lots to go though!

I finally made the decision to get sleeve done after many years of debating weight loss surgery. I was sleeved on Friday 9/19. I was more excited than anything- I remember going in and the anesthesiologist telling me "they will see me later" I was in surgery for about an hour and a half. I had a slight reaction waking up and I think cried a little bit:/- the hardest part for me at that time was moving from the surgical bed to the hospital bed- but After I did I was wheeled to my hospital room and everything got better. My advice to anyone getting the surgery is to bring good Chapstick- you feel so dehydrated and your lips are chapped, it will just make you feel better. That night I was on the IV pain meds and I remember wanting the catheter out- but I was comfortable and happy surgery was over and went well! The next day for me was tougher, I was taken off IV pain meds, I was walking around a little bit but getting tired quickly, and I vomited up mucus a few times. I was told everything was normal with my swallow test so I was ready for a little liquid. Easier said than done, I was able to keep down some juice and Water, but it was making me nauseous, everything was. I was able to sleep on and off, pain was only like a 5. I remember waking up at 2am and watching the clock, waiting for the next day and hoping my doc would send me home. The next day (Sunday) I felt a lot of gas pains, so I walked around the hospital floor in circles over and over- it helped! When my doc came in a noon he noticed my suitcase on the bed and he checked me out and sent me home:) I've been home about a day and a half now. I'm not quite able to do 30 oz yet, but I'll get there! I was able to shower today, it was a great moment, but a little exhausting. I do not advise coffee even if your doc says it's ok, maybe it was just me but it doesn't sit well at all. And the easiest liquid for me right now- diet snapple- cold:) I am really excited to finish healing and being able to get out there, get healthy and be a better me. I'm almost too anxious so I have to remember to take time and heal. I think so far I have had a really successful surgery- little blips along the way (for acid reflux I like Prilosec). I also advise anyone that is thinking about this seriously to really weigh the options. I was selfish to myself for so many years, choosing a social life and "partying" over my health. It would have been much wiser for me to do this surgery in my mid 20's than my 30's. The best is yet to come!!!

A few questions I have, I'm wondering if it hurts when any else takes deep breaths, like feels like you have been in a pool for too long? And when is it ok to take walks around the neighborhood if there are some hills? Also, not the most comfortable question, but I haven't really had a bowel movement (4 days post op) is this normal? Thanks for listening:) And best of luck to all of you fellow September sleevers, your stories inspire me!!!

A few questions I have, I'm wondering if it hurts when any else takes deep breaths, like feels like you have been in a pool for too long? And when is it ok to take walks around the neighborhood if there are some hills? Also, not the most comfortable question, but I haven't really had a bowel movement (4 days post op) is this normal? Thanks for listening:) And best of luck to all of you fellow September sleevers, your stories inspire me!!!

Deep breaths may hurt for a little while because of the incisions...they go through your muscle, so that has to heal. My dr have me an incentive spirometer to use every hour. Basically it just measures how much air you can breathe in. Going for walks is great as soon as it is comfortable. The only physical restrictions my dr gave me was to avoid a lot of ab work (and horseback riding) until 4 weeks. As for the first BM, I didn't "go" until day 7 post-op, which is still considered normal. Your body just doesn't have a lot to get rid of, and pain medications can slow down the GI tract. Passing gas or feeling a little gurgley is a good sign that things are moving along.

Hope that helps :-)

I had my sleeve on the 15th(last Monday). Everything went smooth and was walking around the first day. I returned back to work today exactly one week from surgery. My appetite is non existent and have been eating Jello and broth. So today(my first day back at work) I experienced severe fatigue. I mean all of a sudden I felt very week and tired. Is this due to the lack of Protein and food? Everything else is good though. Need more energy!!!

I was sleeved on the 15th as well and felt great until today. I also went back to work today. I am having the same problems with not being able to get enough down. This week I was supposed to add in cottage cheese, egg whites, and refried Beans. Absolutely can't do the beans. The cottage cheese was ok but only two small bites. Feeling like this is all a little too heavy. Anybody out there on something else for week 2 post-op?

I can official join this page tomorrow.