Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Alcohol... It's not worth it!

I was told to wait one year before having alcohol because of dehydration and ulcers to the new stomach. Anyone else have to wait that long?

I was told to wait one year before having alcohol because of dehydration and ulcers to the new stomach. Anyone else have to wait that long?

My surgeon actually says no drinking ever after having the sleeve. Never is an awful long time.......

Interesting how people gain weight when they drink. I have been drinking every weekend for the past 2 months but just on Fridays/Saturdays. I drink white wine or light cran and vodka. I end up losing weight the next day every time I drink. But then again I don't eat a lot of food that day either. But I have to tell you the buzz feels awesome. It does get me in trouble though where I am getting hit on by men all the time lol. I hate to say it but I enjoy drinking and before surgery I would rarely drink. And I am not addicted but like the buzz lol

Wish I could get buzzed...... :(. Maybe I need to come hang out with you!

My doctor said give it a week or two post op before having a glass of wine. I'm almost 4 weeks out now but haven't bothered to have a drink yet !

One doesnt need to be intoxicated to live life. I find everything is better when your fully awake.

Please go have a drink and understand you aren't drunk. Call in the morning

I very rarely drink, but since my surgery 3 months ago, I find that when I do drink anything, it hits me so much faster! I know it's because I'm smaller, my stomach is smaller, and all that. But before I could have 2-3 bottles of hard cider and feel fine, but now I have about 3/4 of a bottle before I'm feeling buzzed! It's crazy!!

I very rarely drink, but since my surgery 3 months ago, I find that when I do drink anything, it hits me so much faster! I know it's because I'm smaller, my stomach is smaller, and all that. But before I could have 2-3 bottles of hard cider and feel fine, but now I have about 3/4 of a bottle before I'm feeling buzzed! It's crazy!!

I was hoping that would happen to me. I was never a cheap drunk....I could out drink a football team and still not be "drunk". Unfortunately postop is the same. I've had 3-4 pretty strong vodka or whiskey cocktails post op in one sitting a few times with barely a slight buzz. It would take thousands of calories to even make a dent in my alcohol resistant physiology, so I guess I'm stuck with sobriety. (I'll keep trying, though ;) ). Oh yeah, I also wish I could drink hard cider....yum....but carbonation is the only thing my tummy can't do.

I def don't drink any carbonated stuff. I had a RNY so alcohol hits quicker than for sleevers due to the shorten intestines. So maybe sleevers end up drinking more to get the buzz. I have one glass of white wine and I am buzzed. Before surgery I would need couple of glasses.

time to move to washington or colorado! LOL! ;) 0 calories.....

Yeah, but then u get the munchies! Been there, done that...

I drink a glass of wine everynight. I'm 13 mths out and 11 lbs from goal. I find that if I drink more than 1 glass, I make bad snacking decisions. If I drink 1, I add the 110 calories to my list and thats that. Occasionally I feel like more than 1. Thats when I eat too much.

I find that frozen pizza and chocolate seems like a great idea at 9pm after 2 sips of a 2nd glass of wine. I keep it to 1 glass now!

I was hoping that would happen to me. I was never a cheap drunk....I could out drink a football team and still not be "drunk". Unfortunately postop is the same. I've had 3-4 pretty strong vodka or whiskey cocktails post op in one sitting a few times with barely a slight buzz. It would take thousands of calories to even make a dent in my alcohol resistant physiology, so I guess I'm stuck with sobriety. (I'll keep trying, though ;) ). Oh yeah, I also wish I could drink hard cider....yum....but carbonation is the only thing my tummy can't do.

The hard ciders that I drink aren't very carbonated. There is a little bit. I know the feeling you are talking about with the bubbles. Because right out of surgery (about a month or two) I was craving a diet soda, which I was told I could have if it were flat. Well I only like cold soda, so I started shaking it before opening, and when I thought I got all the bubbles out, I drank some and I was wrong and I regretted that decision right away!! I felt like I could feel the bubbles trying to stretch out my stomach!! It hurt so much! So since then I've been very careful with what I drink to try and eliminate that kind of unnecessary pain!! But some hard ciders don't have a ton of bubbles. I guess it also helps that it takes me forever to drink it because my stomach fills up so fast that by the time I'm done with it, most if not all of the carbonation is gone!!

My surgeon actually says no drinking ever after having the sleeve. Never is an awful long time.......

The hospital where I had my surgery recommends this, too. My doctor suggest waiting one year or to be at goal, since the alcohol is empty calories (this seems sensible to me, but I'm a light drinker in a frequently tee-totalling social circle, so it's not a big part of my life).

One of the big concerns is cross-addiction (lots of WLS people at AA!), as well as the ease of becoming impaired very quickly and then driving.