Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone from TN.?

Hey y'all, another East Tennessean here. I live in Knoxville. I was banded in Chattanooga on 5/24/07. Everything was great with the surgery and everything has been great since then.

I'm a pretty private person in general, but the irony of my office visit last month was I met someone in the waiting room as we casually compared our progress and experiences, thanks to her starting the conversation. She was several months ahead of me and it was great to hear her talk about stages in the process that I would be encountering - like band fills, food tolerance, etc. I then realized that maybe a support group with actual people would be beneficial despite my normal private "I can do it myself" attitude.

So if anyone does know of a Knoxville support group, I'd be interested. Until then, I'll keep reading the LBT forum board.

Jaqui, thanks for the WELCOME!! I have a question. After the first month I'm planning on joining a gym. Will it hurt my band or cause it to slip due to the straining of lifting weights or any other exercise that might be real physical?

dreamtheaterfan: There is a support group at Blount Memorial Hospital in Maryville on the first thursday of every month at 7pm.

That would be one for your doctor to say when you are ready for the weight lifting,I went back to work after 3 weeks and my job included lifting and I strained my stomach at first but once your body has healed weightlifting is a wonderful way to lose weight and joining a gym is great! But I would ask your doctor when is a good time to start, good luck!

I am a pre bander, going to have my band in Mexico on Sept 28th. Please pray for me as I am nervous, anxious, scared and excited!

I just wanted to say Hi to all ya'll and it's great to read about people from where I live. You all are doing so good and I hope to be a frequent poster here as I go through this journey also.

I am very apprehensive as I have so many concerns before I even get banded. I am scard to death of surgery to begin with, I have been put to sleep 2 times previously and both times I woke up vomiting. The last anesthetist even said he put something in the last time so I wouldn't be sick and I still was, so major concern. My husband and I both suffer from sleep apnea (we are self diagnosed) another concern. Just flying down to Mexico gives me hives as I hate to fly, huge sacrafice on my part right there, but I am determined! Waking up from surgery, that would be nice, flying back to Tn (if I wake up)...hives again and on and on, major basket case here. The only thing I got going for me is my #1 fan and support system, dear hubby. Retired chiroprator and medical person and someone who will be very strict in my post op instructions.

I have had a lot of questions answered just by reading and reading and reading this forum. So much so that I have lists written out, word documents and all sorts of ideas from hours and hours of sitting in front of the computer. I love the before and after pictures, I sat here last night and went throguh everyone of them like a drug addict. I just can not fathom that that will ever be me. Those people are just like me though, when they took those before picture they too did not know what their futures would be. I know they too could not fathom losing so much by being banded just as I can't., but just look at them in all their glory, they are sucesses at last. I have just failed so many times at so many attempts it is very hard for me to be able to wrap my mind around losing more than 5 lbs, which for me would be a huge sucess all it's own. Losing 50 lbs, a dream, more would be what my fantasies are made of.

I would love to hear from any of you at any time. I will need encouragement I'm sure, esp next Friday the 14 th when I start the ole liquid diet, vodka is a liquid isn't it, wonder how much of that I can consume before boarding the plane??????lmao!!! Just kidding, I'm not even a drinker, but I could become one reall quick here.

Ok enough ramblings from Crossville, Let me hear from you Tennesseans, it makes me feel so good to know ya'll are out there!!!

Debbi

Hey Debbie,

Nice to hear from you. Good luck with your surgery and your new life. It is a heck of a trip. I am approx. 4 months out and I just love my band. I live outside of Murfreesboro, had my surgery here and just love my Doc. The support group is good and that helps. If you need support this is a wonderful place. Just give out a shout and we will all chime in. Take care..............Laura

Thanks Laura, I will need plenty of support. Just this evening talking with my DH, I started what I always do when starting something new about my weight. I can't do it. I start by saying why the hell am I going to put us through this, I will only fail at it, and from everything I have read and told him, he's like me, it's going to be really hard and I just so afraid I can not do it. I will be the exception to the surgery and be the one it fails miserably. I start thinking about actulally going through it and I get sick to my stomach, the I think about actually getting on that plane and I get sick, I'm seriously wondering if I really can go through with it and can I get my deposit back???? Whats the point, I have been overweight for so long and nobody cares anymore except me, everyone is used to seeing me this way, why can I not just except the fact and live my life as a fatty?? You know 2 weeks pre op liquid, 2 weeks post op diet, 3-4 weeks mushies, in between you got to have this much Protein, this much Water, don't eat that or you'll have a PB, bowel problems, sliming problems, fills, not enough fills, unfills, fills again, no weight, slow weight loss and on and on and on. I guess I'm just a weenie and maybe I'm not prepared for this. I look at every bite I eat now until the 14the when I start the liquids and I think, bye bye, no more of this or no more of that and how much I will miss 'normal' eating even though it is that normal eating that has gotten me this way in the first place. I'm warped!!! Geez I guess I need to just shutup, sorry for going on. This whole banding thing has just about got me crazy!

Debbi

Debbi,

I can relate to almost everything you are going through. I remember when I was making up my mind to have this surgery. One day I was all pumped up, I was going to have this done, then the next day is was "OH my God what am I thinging about doing". food was my friend, my security, my comforter, etc. What whould I do without it. I can never have pizza again, or hamburgers, steaks, bread, etc. I had been fat for so long, My husband loves me just the way I am, why change.

I read on this forum for about 3 months. I studied, I prayed, I looked at what I wanted for the REST of my life. And I took the leap of faith. I have faith in me, that I will try to do my very best. Will I alway be perfect, HECK NO. Since the surgery I have not alway stayed on the perfect eating life style, but I get up every day and try again. And yes you can have the food you love again, just not as much. Is it easy, NO, is it worth it...... that is something you have to decide for yourself. Because, you are the one who has to live with the band, not anyone else, YOU. Your are not WARPED, the way I see it is you are very normal. Give yourself a break, only worry about today, you can take care tomorrow when you get there. You only have one life, there are no dress rehersals, So live it the very bes you can. Take care of yourself and let us know it we can help. Someone was here for us when we were wigging out, you are normal.

Laura

Hi Linda! Welcome! I live in Columbia, 50 miles from Nashville, glad to see another TN person, good luck on your surgery and the big change coming soon in your life, I know it has been for me.

I am Paul in Nashville. I had my surgery Aug 22, 2007 with Dr Houston at Centennial. Just wanted to check in.

Take Care

Paul - The LBG