Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 9/16. Anybody with Bipolar to ease my mind?

I have surgery on September 16 and all has been fine. My main concern is after surgery. I'm not worried about the actual food aspect as much as I am my moods. I would love to hear from others with bipolar disorder how having the vsg has changed their moods. I have a time with my medication because my body is so sensitive I guess. So whenever I lose around 30 pounds they need to be adjusted. I am so scared to fall into a deep depression. I would really like to know how you have managed and felt or if you are pre-op and have the same concerns I would love to talk too!

Hey there! I was sleeved on Monday the 8th. I don't specifically suffer from bipolar disorder but I do struggle with manic depression. I found the most emotional day to be the day of surgery before even going under. I just became very nervous and scared. For me it's about keeping myself occupied. I make sure that when I'm awake I'm always doing something and if I'm just watching tv I'm going to do something else also. You will be more emotional in the beginning so just be aware of that. Think of things that can help sooth you, tricks you have used before surgery.

Also the best thing that has helped me keep my mental illness in the back for right now is looking towards the future and thinking okay this is the discomfort today but tomorrow will be better, simple things like that.

I hope that your surgery goes well! Also remember you can always reach out for help! ????

Hi. I was just sleeved on Nov 3 and I have bipolar disorder also. I know there will be ups and downs but for the last 6 weeks, I have felt pretty good. Having the diet and Protein to plan for and consider gives me focus and allows my anxiety levels to focus on that. It really has helped. I have lost almost 30 lbs. and have been wondering about meds also. I started meditation about 9 monthes ago and find that it really helps to calm me down and center myself (if I had said this a year ago, I would be hysterically laughing, but a friend dared me to do it and I became hooked.

So far my moods have been fairly stable. I hope this helped a bit.

I'm wondering about this. I have bipolar disorder and I'm still jumping through insurance hoops a few more months. I've lost almost 30 lbs and this last week I've been really irritable and speedy, and I'm wondering if it could be from losing the small amount of weight I've already lost (this time of year when it gets more light I tend to have problems anyway, so it could just be that, but increasing the meds just doesn't seem to be helping like it usually does).

I lost about 100lbs about 5 years ago but I don't remember if/when during that process I had any manic/depressed periods.

Anyone else? (I see this topic is really old; maybe by responding it will get renewed interest).

I also have bipolar and I am 5 weeks out and feel the same/ similar to before surgery. I have lost 15 pounds since surgery but 29 total in 7 weeks (I have lower BMI so I am a slow loser). All I can say is so far so good. I am still waiting for the sudden increase in energy and mood to happen and that has not yet happened for me but I don’t feel any Deep depression or anything like that if that’s what you were concerned about. I know I was a bit worried about that.

I don't feel depressed. I get irritable when I am manic/almost manic. That's how I feel now. And I'm taking extra medication after talking to my doctor and it's like they're not working at all! I don't even have the side effects from taking them I usually do. Since I haven't actually had surgery yet, I know that's not the problem. I'm just wondering if this is related to weight loss or just time of year.

I'm glad you said you feel the same as before surgery. Maybe the surgery won't totally wreck the stability I've gotten (I still have mood issues, but haven't been in the hospital in a few years).

Yea I went through a week or two where I felt very low energy but I think that was typical for just about everyone. I would still give your psychiatrist the heads up that you may be needing adjustments especially if you have needed them for weight fluctuations In the past but like I said so far so good. Fingers crossed.