Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I thought you did this yourself." ...?

I really haven't had negative comments, but I had one person say they were sick of dieting and wished they could just have surgery like I did. She was just being a patronizing b***h, so I turned the tables on her and gave her my surgeons name and contact info, told her all about the the preop and postop diet and how lucky I was not to have any of the complications ( which I described in detail) How now I can eat anything I want, as long as it's not bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes, and sweets. Exclaimed how great I feel now that I can't drink beer and don't wake up with hangovers anymore. (She's a big partier). Made suggestions on the best Vitamins and Protein powders to get, talked about drinking at least 2 liters of Water everyday, and how many great bariatric recipe websites there are. Described how nice it is to only have to eat an appetizer at a restaurant, so I was saving so much money. The more I encouraged her, the more excuses she made of why she couldn't do it. I put a positive spin on my whole experience, but I think I made my point about how " easy" this all is.

I love this! I'll remember to try to point out a few of these things next time I encounter someone thinking I did this the easy way!

I'm sorry you got that comment. My best friend has said a few things like that like you are so lucky you had this surgery and can just get full and not have to worry about overeating. I told her actually you can graze and overeat carny foods. To be honest I tell very few people about my surgery for this very reason. And maybe it's dishonest or misleading of me, but my mother in law for example is very judgemental and before I had this was talking about a friend that had lap band. She said she didn't even need this, she was just too lazy to lose it the real way. Ok mental note don't tell her about my surgery!!! And I haven't. And now she is going around saying I've become a snob since losing weight.

Good for you for being honest and upfront and hopefully more have been supportive than not.

Would you say to someone who had cancer or heart surgery " Oh I thought you did it yourself." The stomach is an organ which can not work properly. I feel like the sleeve helped me with gerd, type 2 diabetes etc. they have no idea what we have been through just to be healthier. I agree with the earlier post where she informed her what to do and what to expect. I have gone into my health issues to let someone know it was what was best me. It has changed everyone's negative tune so far .

When I was in the hospital for complications, a nurse stood over me and said, "Why didn't you just lose weight the normal way, with diet and exercise?" I said, "I am 60 years old and been on a "diet" my whole life and it didn't get me anywhere, so this is a tool to help lose weight once and for all." She still didn't get it and just repeated what she initially said. What an idiot! I just looked at her, blaring daggers with my eyes until she looked away. LOL

One time someone said something stupid like that to my sister in law. SIL was silent a moment, then looked her in the eye and said " Did you really just say what I think you said?" The woman was so shocked she fell all over herself apologizing. Clueless!!

Omg this is the thing I say to my own mother at least once a week. Bless her judgmental, thoughtless, loose-lipped heart. Not about WLS either. Lol.

Comments like this remind me of the people who tell me when I feel hungry, I should just drink Water. Yeah ok, I'll try that next time, you idiot. LOL You know the saying that everyone should have to work in a restaurant or in retail at least once in their life? I think people should have to try being obese once in their life so maybe they will stop saying asinine things. It's almost like the 2% of people who are actually able to take their excess weight off by diet and exercise are somehow morally superior. We have to take the whole moral judgement out of obesity, we are not morally deficient people because we needed surgical intervention to get to a healthy weight! It's a disease!