Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when did your weight loss kick into high gear?

So at my first follow up appointment I was a little bummed at the fact I hadn't list as much weight as I anticipated I would. My surgeon said anything you lose in the first 6 weeks is like icing on the cake, that typically it takes a while for your body to heal and realize what's going on and what it's dose to do with all the changes. I'm coming up on my 6 weeks, I'm down 22 since surgery day, so I'm happy about that, but was curious if you all agree with the surgeon comment. Did you see a difference/increase in your weight loss progression at 6 weeks and beyond or was your big loss immediately following surgery?

I had to lose the wt I gained during the surgery...actually twice. I lost pre op 17 lbs in two week diet, and then gained during the surgery from all the Fluid... at one month I had lost a total of 37 lbs including the 17 during the pre op diet. Every one is different, so don't compare yourself with others. Stay the course, it will happen.

Everyones body is different.. im 2 weeks and 4 days out of surgery and have lost 29 lbs thats including the pre op diet... i gained 6 lbs during surgery from all the fluids and air and had to relose that again.... i hope it continues to come off like this for several months. I have about 137 more lbs to lose to my goal weight.. dont compare ur weightlossto other tho.. each persons body works differently.. just be proud of urself. What u ahve lost so far is a great accomplishment :)

Doctor told me it takes about 2 weeks for the changes to kick in I was disappointed last week after being 9 days out at support group to have only lost 1 lb, doctor and nurse both said this was normal and this surgery is not an over night weight loss treatment.

so patients will have to prevail here

bodyweight.png?ts=1408387270

surgery.png?ts=1408387270

Unfortunately, as you'll find out in so many areas, our bodies all react so differently after the surgery that trying to gauge where you are versus others is likely to leave most frustrated and unhappy.

I had very similar thoughts in my early stages. I even mentally questioned whether my surgeon had even performed the surgery as I just wasn't losing, didn't have any issues with any foods, never felt full, etc...

As I continually read here and a few other forums hearing of people who started out MUCH smaller than me losing double or even triple what I'd lost, I couldn't figure out why I was so far behind. Luckily, I just stuck with the program (fluids, Proteins, exercise, food types, etc...) my team suggests, kept my focus on myself and now at 6 months out (my surgery was Feb 25th), I have 15 pounds left to hit what I thought was a completely impossible goal

I am 3 weeks post of today. I weighed 261lbs the day of surgery and weighed 250 a few days after. Guess what - I still weigh 250! I asked my Dr at my 1st check in wtf and he also said that most people actually weigh more after the surgery so I was lucky in that aspect and to not worry about what the scale says for first month or 2. That at my 2nd check in (November) that is when he would start tracking my success. Well that just doesn't sit real well with me! I know we shouldn't compare to others but again WTH! I REFUSE to believe that my scale is just going to sit at 250 for 2 months as I starve! lol. I have not cheated - believe me I couldn't if I wanted to because nothing really sits on my pouch very good. And if I can get 5 bites in I am lucky! I am never hungry so when I do eat it is because I know I have to. I know that one of my main issues is I am not getting in the necessary Protein or Water. I just cannot tolerate the shakes - have tried about 20 different kinds but everything has that smell and aftertaste that just makes me gag after 1-2 sips. And water is also just hard to meet goal. I forget to drink! lol. Have always had that issue and knew it would continue to be an issue. I get a glass of water, take a few sips then forget about it sitting there...next thing you know its too late to get in the amount you need to. And how the heck are people able to get in 64+az of water + eat + Vitamins? Not enough time in the day!! lol

Everyone is different. I lost 25 pounds by my 6 week check and was stalled for about 2 weeks straight. I am now a little over 3 months out and have gone from 283 pre-op ans am down to 210 today. At first it can seem like its not working and not worth it but you just gotta keep with the diet and exercise as best as you can.

Just weighed and scale finally moved! Down 5 more lbs!! Though I have not eaten in 2 days cause I have been sick..