Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Contrception after bypass

I have been advised that the progestin only pill will not be effective. Has anyone else been in the same situation and if so what alternative did they use

My surgeon did inform me that I will not be able to take my mini pill for like a month after the surgery. WHAT! Not trying to get preggers just yet doc, lol. But I am definitely looking for an alternative too.

Vasectomy!

I think that although i do not want anymore children within the next few year i do not want to rule out the possability altogether so i dont think a vasectomy for hubby would be the right thing at the moment might be something we will consider later in life

I have the Mirena IUD and it's the best. I am almost 28 and married with no kids. The IUD lasts for 5 years. I am planning on getting it replaced one more time then we'll reevaluate where we are kid wise. It also can stop your periods! I haven't had mind in almost 4 years its the best!

Nuva Ring. love it!

My doctor has not said anything about the mini pull and that is the only form I can use. Did anyone's doc say why it couldn't be used in the first month?

My Dr said it can't be used at all after surgery due to absorption issues. It's just not reliable enough.

I saw a hematologist while In the hospital for the surgery and he was the one who actually suggested the mini pill to me.

My doctor said no mini pill for the first three months because it cause blood clots.I researched online and Webmd states that it is the pill with the hormone that can cause blood clots. IUD is out the question for me because of my blood pressure. But I can wait to play it safe.

I am using condoms, and a diaphragm.

I just started with back on my mini pill. I haven't really tried it yet. At three months out I cannot see why it would not work. IDK.

I just realized that this topic says bypass. I was sleeved so it could be differnt for us sleevers.

Edited by motherof5

Prior to surgery I had always used the Nexplanon implant in the upper arm. I had used Mirena after my daughter was born however it became very uncomfortable for me, I couldn't even lay on my belly because I could feel it. I am not sure if that is something that would be different once my weight all comes off, however at the time it was very uncomfortable and I haven't been willing to put another one in. The Nexplanon lasts for 3 years versus the 5 of the IUD. It is implanted into the inside of your upper arm right in the doctors office. They numb the area prior to insertion so all you feel is a little pressure when they put it in. The site heals within a couple of days, and after it is in, you can feel it just underneath the skin so it is easy to keep track of its placement. I had NO side effects from it, no periods while I was on it, and it worked wonderfully! I had to have mine removed on October 1st since I knew I would be having RNY sometime in the six weeks after. My reasons were because I have major hormonal issues which is what led me to RNY in the first place, and the doctors treating me believed that in order for me to have the BEST possible outcome from the surgery, I needed to be off of all forms of hormones for a while. We are now using condoms and I am using a cycle tracker in my phone to determine fertility and ovulation. Once my doctors feel that hormone replacement is a wise choice, I would not hesitate to have Nexplanon put back in again. I know some people have said that the cost of the Nexplanon is what kept them from trying it, and that is understandable. My insurance did not cover mine when it was placed because I had such a high yearly deductible at the time, so I had to pay $700 out of pocket however my husband and I knew that was a small price to pay compared to a pregnancy, especially since I am high risk maternity and would not be able to work at all during a pregnancy so we gladly paid that amount. I did plan that amount into our FSA account this year just in case if I am allowed to have a new one placed once I reach goal weight.