Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks out and not feeling well

I had a perfect surgery and quick recovery with not much pain at all.

However in the last couple of weeks as I have added solid foods, my stomach hurts when I eat. I am not enjoying eating anything and the pain is uncomfortable but not unbearable.

In the past 2 days I have been so gassy and bloated. I have used gasx for the first time ever in my life. I literally ate two bites for lunch and I'm having cramps in my stomach.

I just keep telling myself that I'm healing and that I will enjoy food again and this will all pass. But I feel so blah and I'm kind of down. Does the Protein cause the gas too??? I just want some relief.

I know I am not getting much nourishment at all.

Please tell me I'm not alone.

I was just cleared from my surgeon for solid food yesterday and sometimes when I eat I have slight pain (like pulses a few times). It's bearable and it goes away later.

Not sure if I should email him or not as it was just yesterday he just encourged me to eat solid food.< /p>

I had it easy, however apples did not work for me out of the gate. Keep trying different solids. Make sure to chew thoroughly. One of my go to's is greek yogurt mixed with oatmeal. It better if you mix it hours before you eat it. Not quite a full blown solid, but it sticks to your ribs. If you having problems with meat, maybe its to dry. Try smoothering it with marinara sauce and eat small bites.

It sounds like maybe you need to go back to puree for a week or so to let your stomach heal. If solid food is bothering you after that, contact your doctor. Best of luck to you.

I had a very easy recovery but started feeling the same as what you describe at around five and six weeks. I was also feeling very worn down from all the measuring of food, counting and tracking of Protein, focusing on chewing and sipping.

Around week seven I figured out that Water was too dense and heavy. Drinking it was a major source of uncomfortableness but since that's all I've ever drank I didn't put two & two together. I also found a few new food items that I could eat without feeling nauseous and overly full...beef Jerky, scrambled eggs, shrimp, very soft chicken. Now at week eight or nine (I can't remember!) I do feel much better for the majority of the day.

It's a big learning curve. The constant Yuck feeling could be eating too quickly, eating too much, eating food that is too heavy or rich, not chewing to a pureed consistency, etc. Also I understand that many people develop lactose intolerance post-surgery. Pay attention to how dairy affects you.

On those days when I don't feel great I remind myself that this early stage is just temporary. One day we will eat good healthy food in small amounts and not think twice about all of this. Just push through.

Are you waiting and hour after you eat to drink ANYTHING and not drinking during meals? I sometimes forget and that makes it unbearable! :(

I think it may be not waiting long enough between bites and maybe not chewing thoroughly. I'll take total responsibility for that one. I do wait on the drinking. I learned that one by mistake and will never do it again.

I am thankful things have been so smooth. I'm just trying to Iron out the kinks.

I am so thankful for this forum and all who post!!

One thing I have learned and that is just how different each person's experience can be. My friend and I had the same surgery on the same day with the same surgeon. She can eat many more things than I can and about double the volume that I can and has been able to since day 1. She can drink in big gulps, I have to take smaller drinks; she can tolerate drinks of any temperature and I have to have my fluids room temperature; she has been able to tolerate solids for a couple weeks and I still need my food mashed up. My point is that even though you've been cleared for solids perhaps your tummy isn't ready. It's okay. Just go really slow and maybe go back to super soft foods for a while. If a food doesn't feel good give yourself another week or so and try it again. For sure, though, make sure you're chewing until the food is liquid in your mouth and take small bites. Eat a couple bites then put your fork down - see how you feel. We all have to be reconditioned to eat slower than we're used to. The most important thing is keeping up your nutritional needs and you can be sure you're doing that by eating foods you can tolerate and tracking on My Fitness Pal.

Good luck.

My tummy has also been sensitive on solids. I am 5 wks tomorrow. I wake up feeling good as the day goes on I'm wore plum out. No stamina, energy just blah. Been crabby lately I'm frustrated I can't do all the things I need an want to do. I'm using myfitnesspal recording everything I'm staying between 40 to 70 Protein drinking Water. ..some juice half an half, I am having an issue with ALERT : TMI: Constipation. I have a script it normally works me regular but I've seen a change since surgery on how it even affects me. I still can only get about 2 or 3 oz of bites in. Trying still to establish all meds. .I have been nauseous the past few wks..I actually fought throwing up this morning but I threw up anyway there wasn't nothing but foam..water a tad bit. I have a script for nauseous so I took one calmed it down. My bariatric nurse called today first time since surgery 5 wks out, asked me how I was doing. She said the nauseous will stop it just takes time. Havnt had much an appetite the past few days. I'm over 40 pds down. Overall I'm happy just been irritable I can't do much without dragging but right now. Next Mon me n gfs fly to MB for 5 days I hope I get some stamina back...hang in there everyone! Were on the mend...:)

My tummy has also been sensitive on solids. I am 5 wks tomorrow. I wake up feeling good as the day goes on I'm wore plum out. No stamina, energy just blah. Been crabby lately I'm frustrated I can't do all the things I need an want to do. I'm using myfitnesspal recording everything I'm staying between 40 to 70 Protein drinking Water. ..some juice half an half, I am having an issue with ALERT : TMI: Constipation. I have a script it normally works me regular but I've seen a change since surgery on how it even affects me. I still can only get about 2 or 3 oz of bites in. Trying still to establish all meds. .I have been nauseous the past few wks..I actually fought throwing up this morning but I threw up anyway there wasn't nothing but foam..water a tad bit. I have a script for nauseous so I took one calmed it down. My bariatric nurse called today first time since surgery 5 wks out, asked me how I was doing. She said the nauseous will stop it just takes time. Havnt had much an appetite the past few days. I'm over 40 pds down. Overall I'm happy just been irritable I can't do much without dragging but right now. Next Mon me n gfs fly to MB for 5 days I hope I get some stamina back...hang in there everyone! Were on the mend...:)

OMG I'm 6 weeks out today and just experienced throwing up for the first time during my Breakfast, maybe I was eating to fast, or the rice is too dry. Nothing came out but awful lot of foam saliva. I'm not done eating yet and not sure if I should finish my breakfast. ;-P

I had my op on the 1 st of July . Things hadn't gone well , felt terrible 24 hrs after my op , doctor n anethatist came back to see me I was cold n clammy , was took down for a ct scan , we're they wanted me to drink a pint of barium , not possible so drunk as much as I felt comfortable with. Also had to go for an X-ray as I had a chest infection . Then was taken back to surgery because I had 4 litres of blood in the bottom of my stomach which had to be sucked out ! . I was not good for a couple of days !!! All this time all I could think was what have I done !!! But all the nurses kept on reassuring me everything would be fine. NOW I have changed my attitude towards it and I'm now glad I've had it done . But I just need to ask what people are eating !! Went to the hospital for my first check up yesterday n wanted to speak to the nutritionist to be told she's on holiday for the next three weeks ! So can anyone please advise ! I seem to have stuck at the same weight for the last week n a half ! N is it 2 litre of Water a day including teas n coffees cos this May be where I'm going wrong , just need to talk to someone , n clarify a few things .the doctor yesterday said he was pleased with the weight I'd lost so far n says he expects about a stone a month now cos it will slow down ?

I had my op on the 1 st of July . Things hadn't gone well , felt terrible 24 hrs after my op , doctor n anethatist came back to see me I was cold n clammy , was took down for a ct scan , we're they wanted me to drink a pint of barium , not possible so drunk as much as I felt comfortable with. Also had to go for an X-ray as I had a chest infection . Then was taken back to surgery because I had 4 litres of blood in the bottom of my stomach which had to be sucked out ! . I was not good for a couple of days !!! All this time all I could think was what have I done !!! But all the nurses kept on reassuring me everything would be fine. NOW I have changed my attitude towards it and I'm now glad I've had it done . But I just need to ask what people are eating !! Went to the hospital for my first check up yesterday n wanted to speak to the nutritionist to be told she's on holiday for the next three weeks ! So can anyone please advise ! I seem to have stuck at the same weight for the last week n a half ! N is it 2 litre of Water a day including teas n coffees cos this May be where I'm going wrong , just need to talk to someone , n clarify a few things .the doctor yesterday said he was pleased with the weight I'd lost so far n says he expects about a stone a month now cos it will slow down ?

Sorry u had such a scary start but it team was ontop of it. Thank goodness. Glad things are wrking better now. The 64 oz of water dAily includes all Fluid intake, shakes, water,noncaffenated tea,coffee. ..anything u drink...in addition as close to 60 grms of Protein daily. I had mine on July 8...I am just now hitting stage 4 trying to do solids...not doin as well as I would like so I'm pretty much decided to do a few shakes a day still. I'm still having some nauseous days the past wk...I'm not rushing things I think tummy is not ready for hard things just yet. So going to stick with soft things for a bit More. Glad it feeling better...:)