Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

total fitness trainers - you know, like the Chuck Norris machine

I'm in the pre-surgery liquid diet phase, but I'm already thinking about how to add resistance training to my routine. I was looking at something like the Total Gym Fit, but it's a little too pricey for my blood. I also need something that can handle my 300 plus pounds. I'm looking at the Bayou Fitness Total Body Gym because it's less expensive and is made for people up to 400 lbs.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried one of these machines or something similar? It looks like it can help a lot with strengthening the upper body, but not so much for the lower body. Do you agree?

If I purchase one I plan to combine it with walking, but that won't work in the winter because we get a lot of ice and snow here. I wish I lived closer to a gym, but the nearest one is fifteen miles away. So I'm thinking this machine, or some kind of machine, will get more use. Anybody else in a similar situation or simply chooses to do resistance work at home?

i am thinking of buying Les Mills Body Pump system. it's a set of videos and free weights.

i have taken the Les Mills classes for a long time in the gym, and i absolutely love it. it works each group of muscles, to music, hot great music, each song works another muscle group. the free weight set comes with a bar and 2 five lb weights and 2 ten pound weights to put on the bar. i just loved it so much in class, i'm thinking i would enjoy doing it at home because i don't feel like spending the money on the gym membership right now where they do these particular classes (80/month). it's about $200 for the complete set.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/les-mills-pump-workout.do

Before you spend any money, go to www.marksdailyapple.com (Mark's Daily Apple) and see if their approach to body weight work outs might be a suitable option for someone who would just as soon spare the cash for something else. Just a thought.....

Resistance bands and free weights are inexpensive. Do you have a Y near you?

Edited to add: i just teread your question and didn't see tjat you don't live near a gym.

Edited by shannonsgt

I'm just not a big fan of free weights--never have been even when I was in shaped and worked out everyday. Though I have an interest in the resistance band, I really like the concept behind the total gym. The kids are interested in using the machine too, so anything that motivates them to get off their butts and exercise is a big plus. So I'm wondering if people my size have used them with good results.

Edited by SugarBomb

I've had machines like that in the past...took up a lot of room, and for whatever reason I did not use them

I have an Elliptical Machine, same one my Gym has....paid $3 thousand for it, refurbished, not new....I hardly ever use it, although I know some day I will....

I rather go to the gym. There is something about it that motivates me to do a better work out. being around other people doing the same? Simply the environment? The fact I went thru the effort to get there?

I would rather run 3-5 miles on the treadmill at the gym, than run outdoors.

I don't know, I do know it's better for me and get better results.

i have a total gym. it's a pretty good system BUT it uses your body weight for the resistance, and unfortunately, i cannot move 200 lbs...i had to do NO incline and few reps and i didn't see much difference...

i too prefer the gym. i know that going to one is not an option for everyone. if i had to workout at home, i would definitely use one of the Beachbody programs. they are all VERY sound and really good for the money.