Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The honeymoon phase (+more)

I am vegan and currently not in a place where I have access to a kitchen of my own (I am a teacher and work in different camps throughout the summer). I am not eating all that badly- just not eating enough of the good stuff that I should be eating.. I eat mostly vegetables (my favourite food) with some fruit thrown in here and a little snacking. I obviously plan to completely cut out the snacking as soon as I am in my own space, but for now since I can't eat the kiddie food that is made at the camps (think white rice, white Pasta, fries, tortellini, grilled cheese etc) I am doing the best I can. I also try to engage in very clean eating, but I am not exactly sure how that is possible after the sleeve.

My question is two-fold:

1) If i "miss" the honeymoon phase (how long does it last btw), can I still take off weight afterwards? I am not slowing down weight loss yet, thank god, but I know it will come and I am worried because these 2 months I probably could have lost more had I been in my own space.

2) I hate all added Protein things (shakes, bars etc), and I have really bad dumping syndrome when I eat any kind of carbs. To that end, I want to know if it is more important for me to force down protein-plus pasta and tofu or if vegetables and fruit (that I prefer) are more important? I really cannot eat both.

I lied- here are a few more questions.

3) I had two doctors, and I did surgery in Israel. They did not give out different papers to men and women- what is the absolute minimum protein amount I should be eating (and can get away with)?

4) My dr told me 6 small meals a day. I am continuously reading latest updates and everyone says 3 meals a day.

5) If I am only to eat 3 meals a day, and avoid snacking between meals, and protein is most important, when does that leave room for fruits and vegetables?

I could be totally wrong but I was under the assumption they called it the honeymoon phase because your sleeve is freshly done and not at all stretched out and the small amounts it can tolerate is what causes the most weight loss. Well, that and right after surgery you're most motivated to do exactly what you're supposed to do. I've heard people refer to it as the first six month after surgery and the first year.

My surgeon's office says to eat 5 or 6 times a day, every two and a half to three hours. One nutritionist calls it 3 meals and 2 or 3 Snacks, another calls it 6 small meals. They've told me to shoot for 60-80g of Protein daily and about 25-35g of carbs. I was going for 90g of Protein daily but that left no room for carbs at all and I was getting less than 10g a day. They told me to back down my protein a touch and make room for good veggie carbs.

I think you'll get as many answers as there are docs/programs who do bariatric surgery.

Hoo boy!

I'll let the vegan sleevers respond to your real issues. But I'll say that every post-op diet I've seen emphasizes 60-80 grams of Protein for post-op patients. The diet most people are on for anywhere from 2 - 12 months seems to be an Atkins-style diet. Eventually, vegetables and fruits take a relative back seat to the Protein. Simpler carbs - rice, Pasta, potatoes, bread -- are recommended only after "enough protein" and more complex/fibrous veggies can be eaten.

FYI, don't know if you know this ... but there are vega-based protein powders.

I agree with all above. As far as raw fruits and veggies go, I was not allowed them until 12 weeks post-op, as they can be difficult to digest. (AKA dumping syndrome.) Protein is vitally important, at least 60 grams a day. Starches/carbs. are the least important part of this diet, as they slow weight loss. At first, it may be difficult to get in anything other than Protein, but as your sleeve stretches, you'll be able to eat more. 600-800 calories a day, 60+g. protein, under 80 g. carbs.

My surgeon's pre-op and post-op instructions are 60-80 grams of Protein.

Hoo boy!

I'll let the vegan sleevers respond to your real issues. But I'll say that every post-op diet I've seen emphasizes 60-80 grams of Protein for post-op patients. The diet most people are on for anywhere from 2 - 12 months seems to be an Atkins-style diet. Eventually, vegetables and fruits take a relative back seat to the Protein. Simpler carbs - rice, Pasta, potatoes, bread -- are recommended only after "enough protein" and more complex/fibrous veggies can be eaten.

FYI, don't know if you know this ... but there are vega-based protein powders.

The vegan protein powders are not too good. I am not an ice cream/milkshake/special drink fan by nature and used to exclusively drink Water (of course, now when I am meant to be drinking tons of Water, it is the one food that really makes me feel sick if I drink it unflavoured)- even now I drink water with a tiny squirt of flavor. It has to be ice cold as well or I can drink it, so Starbux and I are well acquainted- my favorite drink is the passion tango ice tea with extra ice, unsweetened...

You say 2-12 months- after 2-12 months, do you cut back on eating so much protein? The one part of the sleeve that worried me most before doing surgery, and still worries me now, is all the protein I am meant to eat. I know there are plant-based sources, but honestly, a cup of lentils cooked is a really big portion and still only equals 18g. I am thinking about figuring out protein content in my nut burgers and trying to scarf them down once I get back to my own space.

Thankfully, carbs used to be my vice but they make me extremely sick now. I have basically given up bread and Pasta was never my favourite food anyway (it is hard being vegan and a super picky eater).

My plan consists of 60-90g Protein FOREVER, then if still hungry vegetables, then fruits, then carbs. I'm sure your protein powders aren't very tasty, most aren't, but it's necessary to get in the protein some way. You just have to do it.

You can also get an unflavored Protein Powder and mix it with your food / drinks. I just found a great one. I was skeptical about the "unflavored" claim. I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to taste/smell/texture and was pleasently suprised that it was indeed unflavored. It's a whey Protein so I'm not sure if that fits your vegan lifestyle but perhaps you can find an unflavored vegan base powder. Good luck

My protocol is minimum 60 Protein priority ..veggies an fruits after that's met. I hit 4 wks I can now add CERTAIN fruits still no stringy fiber...but soft fruit trying to still avoid SKIN type fruits. My instructions are 3 meals an 2 small Snacks. Watching closely calories. I was told eat all protein first from plate then veggie if u can handle it an salad last..I have been eating string cheese an yogart for snacks to add the protein. .I no vegan is totaly different I have a girlfriend who has been vegetarian for 30 yrs an her diet I don't think is true vegetarian bc she lives pretty much on yogurt an starbucks lol...not sure on rest of her diet..definitely look up on here on vegans for additional help. We just don't want to do anything to cause our tummys problems an stretching. I sure don't want all this to b a waste for me....follow your plan!