Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a kind of funny question

Most insurances will only cover you if your BMI is at a certain number so if your below you have to eat your way to an acceptable BMI (to them) and then it's never a forsure, and some will only pay a small portion. There is no wait time in Mexico and the quality of surgeons are exceptional, and so is the care. For someone like me, who is paying out of pocket $4,400 is a whole lot easier to swollow than $15,000 - $18,000, and I don't have to beg anyone or explain repeatedly why this is so important to me and my health. This surgery is a decission that I want to make, I don't want to be at the mercy of someone that thinks they know me better than I do. These are my reasons why I'm going to Tijuana.

Can I ask why Mexico for surgery??? When majority of all insurances cover the gastric surgery.. Just curious..

I got my sleeve on July 21. I was laying on the gurney, totally psyched, waiting for the second surgeon to arrive when suddenly I thought, "Oh my God, what am I doing here?" I told my sister and she asked the nurse to give me the good stuff..to relax me. Everything has been great since then. That was the only trepidatious moment I had!

I felt exactly the same way. I was really excited about it once I'd made up my mind to do it, but then once I had everything arranged and it was just a matter of waiting for my surgery date, I was all over the place. I'd be totally psyched one day, and totally terrified the next day. I was a hot mess for the last 48 hours or so.

I had my surgery done last Tuesday (7/29) in Mexico, and truly, I have zero complaints. Our insurance, which is usually pretty good (we have BCBS) won't cover any kind of weight loss surgery because my husband's employer prohibits it. So I didn't really have a choice. For me it was that or nothing. And honestly, I feel like the only thing I gave up by having it done there was the convenience of having to just drive up the street for the procedure. The hospital was pretty much just like the ones here, the nurses were totally kind and helpful, my surgeon was aces, and he's been checking in with me daily since I was released.

I did talk it over with my regular doctor beforehand and got some bloodwork done with her just to make sure everything looked okay here before I showed up there and found out I had a problem. Also, I made sure I knew where to go locally if I had any problems once I got back, but that's so far turned out to be totally unnecessary. My surgeon sent me home with a detailed description of what was done, including a chart of where the incisions were made and his contact information, just in case there WERE any complications and the attending doc here needed to consult with him. It's been totally professional, and definitely comparable to all of the times I've had surgery in the US.

Just try to remember that right now you're in a really scary time, and there's not much to do except wait, which is SO HARD. But as long as you've done your homework and gotten yourself prepared, trust your decisions. I bet you read a whole lot about it, and I don't think any of us makes this decision lightly. I hope your surgery goes perfectly smoothly, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

May I ask who your surgeon was? I'm booked with Dr. E Otiz. I'll be going alone, any words of advice? How did you do on the pre-op diet? I keep asking everyone this as that scares me more than the surgery itself. Were there any things that you wished you had brought with you that you hadn't?

I felt exactly the same way. I was really excited about it once I'd made up my mind to do it, but then once I had everything arranged and it was just a matter of waiting for my surgery date, I was all over the place. I'd be totally psyched one day, and totally terrified the next day. I was a hot mess for the last 48 hours or so.

I had my surgery done last Tuesday (7/29) in Mexico, and truly, I have zero complaints. Our insurance, which is usually pretty good (we have BCBS) won't cover any kind of weight loss surgery because my husband's employer prohibits it. So I didn't really have a choice. For me it was that or nothing. And honestly, I feel like the only thing I gave up by having it done there was the convenience of having to just drive up the street for the procedure. The hospital was pretty much just like the ones here, the nurses were totally kind and helpful, my surgeon was aces, and he's been checking in with me daily since I was released.

I did talk it over with my regular doctor beforehand and got some bloodwork done with her just to make sure everything looked okay here before I showed up there and found out I had a problem. Also, I made sure I knew where to go locally if I had any problems once I got back, but that's so far turned out to be totally unnecessary. My surgeon sent me home with a detailed description of what was done, including a chart of where the incisions were made and his contact information, just in case there WERE any complications and the attending doc here needed to consult with him. It's been totally professional, and definitely comparable to all of the times I've had surgery in the US.

Just try to remember that right now you're in a really scary time, and there's not much to do except wait, which is SO HARD. But as long as you've done your homework and gotten yourself prepared, trust your decisions. I bet you read a whole lot about it, and I don't think any of us makes this decision lightly. I hope your surgery goes perfectly smoothly, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

I went by myself, too. My husband came with me to Texas, but he's not allowed into that part of Mexico because of his job. So he just hung around in a hotel being really nervous for a few days while I sucked on ice chips and watched NCIS in Spanish in the hospital. And after watching how stir crazy some of the other nervous companions were, I was kind of glad I only had to focus on myself!

I went to Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras (near San Antonio). He was great, but I've read lots of good things about Dr. Ortiz, too. I think there are some docs who are regulars on places like these boards, and they care very much about their patients and their reputations. Because honestly, they don't have to get more than a couple of bad reviews before nobody will go to them anymore. And as long as you're going to an established practice, and you like your doctor, you're making the right decision. If you're comfortable with it, that's the most important thing.

The only thing I took that I didn't see on any lists was I got a great app for my phone called iTranslate, and you can speak in one language and it'll repeat what you said in another language, and you can change the input and output languages. It even differentiates between Spanish-Spanish and Mexican-Spanish. It was $5, and I am honest to gosh SO disappointed that I didn't get to use it!!

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know! :)

Before the surgery I couldn't wait for it! Then during the pre-op I lost 17 lbs on my own (low carb diet) and I actually had a second thought about the surgery.

Plus I had to stay 1 night alone at the hospital the night before, I was kind of freeked out. Then in the morning I was alsoo alone when the nurse came for me they dropped some kind of anti anxiety under my tongue before brining me to the OR. So while waiting in the waiting room I was like getting high on the drung, I was actually singing the whole time and then fell asleep.

The worst part was when I woke up in the ICU, 5 tubes all over my body. After I saw my husband briefly (I was pretty much on anesthesia) I felt naussea so I pushed myself to sleep then the med team came to check on me every 3 hours, each time they injected insulin, take the blood preasure, inject medicine, check my blood sugar, my temperature. It's been 4 days like this until I kept woke up every 3 hours for more than a week later. 2 days later my psychiatrice came to visit me I actually told him that "You know maybe I made the wrong decision about this" but he didn't take it seriously (he cleared me for the surgery) he said, Oh, don't be silly, you're on anesthesia and pain killer, you'll be fine, it will change your life, you'll see.

I stuck in bed for 4 days, the pain's actually gone on day 3 but I sill felt uncomfortable because of the tubes. I told myself, it's goning to be better tomorrow and tried to sleep early every night.

Now I fall asleep at 11 pm and wake up at 6 am to embrace the new me everyday. And I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Before the surgery I couldn't wait for it! Then during the pre-op I lost 17 lbs on my own (low carb diet) and I actually had a second thought about the surgery.

Plus I had to stay 1 night alone at the hospital the night before, I was kind of freeked out. Then in the morning I was alsoo alone when the nurse came for me they dropped some kind of anti anxiety under my tongue before brining me to the OR. So while waiting in the waiting room I was like getting high on the drung, I was actually singing the whole time and then fell asleep.

The worst part was when I woke up in the ICU, 5 tubes all over my body. After I saw my husband briefly (I was pretty much on anesthesia) I felt naussea so I pushed myself to sleep then the med team came to check on me every 3 hours, each time they injected insulin, take the blood preasure, inject medicine, check my blood sugar, my temperature. It's been 4 days like this until I kept woke up every 3 hours for more than a week later. 2 days later my psychiatrice came to visit me I actually told him that "You know maybe I made the wrong decision about this" but he didn't take it seriously (he cleared me for the surgery) he said, Oh, don't be silly, you're on anesthesia and pain killer, you'll be fine, it will change your life, you'll see.

I stuck in bed for 4 days, the pain's actually gone on day 3 but I sill felt uncomfortable because of the tubes. I told myself, it's goning to be better tomorrow and tried to sleep early every night.

Now I fall asleep at 11 pm and wake up at 6 am to embrace the new me everyday. And I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Why were you in ICU?

Totally normal in my opinion - mainly because I did the same thing! LOL.

I think I changed my mind back and forth a hundred times between August, 2013 and November, 2013 when I had surgery. I would go from feeling super excited to "OMG, what am I doing to myself?" This is a life changing decision...I almost backed out the night before surgery and the morning of surgery - seriously I did.

I looked at my husband while I was in admitting and I decided at that moment that I was doing the right thing. I decided to walk down that hall into the pre-op area and start the process. I was convinced at that moment that this was the right thing to do.

I have no regrets, none at all. It hasn't been easy - I've had really crappy days during this and even some buyer's remorse in the beginning. But, with out a doubt, this was the best thing for me to do. My life is so much better.

Good grief, here I am again thnking, okay if I could loose 17 pounds on the pre-op diet, maybe I don't need this done. I read how many people had problems and I'm truly spooked. I get a week off after my surgery is done, then I have to be back at work.

I have the last Pre-op things to do on Tuesday and I'm going to make sure they order something for my nerves...I want it ASAP after my I.V. Is put in on surgery morning!

Why were you in ICU?

It's the Intensive care after surgery, I think it's the normal procedure here (I'm in France). My surgery went well without complication but the medical team put me there after surgery to render my body back to normal condition. My surgeon already told me before surgery that they will keep me in the hospital 5 days post-op, then he gave me 1 month off work. Here in France the Social security pays for the pre-op exams and operation. The employer gets the compensation for my sick leave and my operation is confidential meaning by law, the employer cannot ask what my operation is for.

Can I ask why Mexico for surgery??? When majority of all insurances cover the gastric surgery.. Just curious..

My insurance doesn't cover VSG and to be eligible for any WLS at all, I would have to have had a BMI of over 35 for at least 5 years. Back in 2010/2011, I lost 90 pounds "on my own" which put my BMI well under 35 for a while. It's now back up over 40, but that doesn't matter. I would have to have waited another two years at least to be eligible.

My insurance doesn't cover VSG and to be eligible for any WLS at all, I would have to have had a BMI of over 35 for at least 5 years. Back in 2010/2011, I lost 90 pounds "on my own" which put my BMI well under 35 for a while. It's now back up over 40, but that doesn't matter. I would have to have waited another two years at least to be eligible.

I would caution you to call your carrier and confirm that any complication that should arise or future needs you have will be covered.

I'm just excited right now, even after reading about some of the struggles people have. I figure I'll just be better prepared. And in the long run, it's worth discomfort for a limited amount of time.

That being said, I'm pretty sure as soon as I get a surgery date, I'll go from excited to scared so fast that I'll get whiplash!