Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"My special food"

@@Bob2013 I agree about the kids needing some consequences for their actions.

Also - and meaning no offence to the OP - but I have to ask, since she "came home" to find her food eaten, who was supervizing these kids? If it was their father then shame on him for letting them run riot in the kitchen cabinets all day.

Usually when someone says "no offense", what follows is quite offensive. Case in point above.

Who said that kids were "running riot" "all day"? What a bizarre assumption. We don't even know how old the children are, do we? Do we now have to micromanage our children to be considered good parents? Sucks for me, then.

Edited by LipstickLady

I totally sympathize. My Quest bars, natural almonds, occasional raspberries and greek yogurt disappear regularly. It would be ok if someone would just TELL me when they take the last one so I don't plan on something being there, then scramble to find a replacement when I think it's there.

I still buy chips and ice cream on occasion (those foods are not triggers for me) for my family. I watch my husband and daughter hide the chips from one another and they each accuse the other of eating them all. I quit buying chips recently, I'm like seriously people? You're arguing over POTATOES?

@@Bob2013 I agree about the kids needing some consequences for their actions. Also - and meaning no offence to the OP - but I have to ask, since she "came home" to find her food eaten, who was supervizing these kids? If it was their father then shame on him for letting them run riot in the kitchen cabinets all day.

Really? Dang that was harsh! I have raised two children successfully, both went to college, never arrested, never once in trouble and my kids would ransack the cupboards in the short time I took a shower. Do you even have children?? Lol Making comments like this is not ok in my opinion..

I also bought little round stickers that are different colors (green, yellow, red) and stick them on different items that are mine. Green means fair game, yellow means don't eat the last two and write it on the shopping list, red mean eat at risk of death. It's working.

I love this idea. Thanks!

I have two teen boys and one of them does some bodybuilding, so all forms of Protein in our house are quickly consumed! He doesn't mess with my shakes though because he considers mine weight loss while his are bodybuilding -- same thing, different labels (but his have carbs and mine don't).

The only time I really lost it was when my other son had friends over (more teen boys in the house) and they went through a box of 12 Quest bars (there were 4-5 boys there). I don't think he'll let his friends eat my Protein Bars again! lol

I don't hide my food or restrict it from them. It's healthier than the usual garbage we used to eat. It is more expensive but we're saving money on all that fast food we don't buy anymore.

When my daughter was home, she used to hide food in a plastic bin under her bed and then bring it out when it was partially eaten. So, for example, if I brought home Oreo's, she'd hide the package, eat some and then when she'd had enough, she'd bring the half-eaten package out and put it back in the kitchen cabinets. Nobody was the wiser (but me...)

One of the reasons I am the size I am today (atill pre-op) is that I grew up in a large family. If you didn't ear your food and fast, someone would finish it for you! Lol. My dad used to go to work on Sundays so he could drink his Pepsi in peace. He used to hide them around the house, too. When I started dieting (way too young), Tab was only for those of us on a "diet", that disn't work either, Its sad that in a country (US) with such abundance we are hardwired for dealing with scarcity of food.

I am with you! I measure my food carefully and want to eat every bit of it. My kids and hubby are forbidden to eat off of my plate! They got yelled at a few times and now they think twice before getting into anything that I eat without asking me first! :)

This is one of my huge pet peeves.

My kids have been warned (with the threat of no more treats ever) if they touch my Protein bars or the food set aside for me without asking. And I do actually have to be fairly strict with them, because my eldest is spectrum, so it has to be made very clear to him what is his and what isn't (otherwise, he'll eat the kitchen).

I have a large tupperware container with my name on it that I keep my higher Protein Bars in. Luckily, they don't like the powders, although they quite like the premade shakes (and they get the ones that are too sweet for me to tolerate. It makes a good, fast Breakfast for them when they're running late)

I understand the aggravation.

Wow, I thought my family of origin was the only one that had food locked up. When my brother and I became teenagers, my dad also had a cabinet in the basement with a padlock that contained Shampoo. Why? My brother showered at least twice a day and used it by the gallon.

I wonder if households without overeaters lock up food. I know for all my life, starting as a teen, whenever I bought treats, even for the family, I would buy two. One for me and one for them. I couldn't bear to share and take the risk that my stash might get wiped out. I always felt ashamed of that.

I would have a long talk with my family members and explain why they can't eat 'my' food. Then, slap an 'OFF LIMITS!' sticker on anything that they aren't allowed to have. You may have to keep dry goods that don't need refrigeration in your bedroom closet or dresser. Good luck!

Yes they are well aware now.. And my son at them when I was sleeping apparently. I do have my own drawer In the fridge. I had just bought the bars because we were leaving for vacation and I needed something for the car ride, so I had left them on the counter. He thought they were granola bars apparently. He was sick enough the next day that I doubt he will do it again! But I agree with some of the other posters about people taking food off your plate too! My husband will be like .. Oh I know you won't be able to finish that so I will help u! I eat so little it's become a joke at the table with them betting on how much I will actually finish of my portion while they all wait for the left overs. My husband and my oldest son are skinny tall boys and my youngest is short and a little chubby so I'm hoping to get him to like the healthy food just not eat all of it in one sitting

My kids love my string cheese, Quest bars, popsicles, yogurt--basically anything that I set aside for me. I have had to buy them their own Protein bars, yogurt, fruit juice popsicles, etc. One plus is they are eating healthier because they always want what they see mom eat. (and they often get my leftovers!) But I feel I am justified to go to great lengths to keep my food for me. (Including hiding it!) :)

My Mother just asked me the other night if I had any of my Atkins candy bars I told her know and when I do I have to keep them in my room ,because the whole family would eat them I found that out , when I bought a few different one's to try for my sweet cravings, I haven't had any sweets in a while except for sugar free non fat frozen yogurt, and , my Mother made the comment you haven't had any of those in a while I told her no I haven't ,but there at the store if you want some , she said that's ok I think we have ice cream , I told her feel free , that O would just get a big glass of Water & that satisfied me .