Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 11 days, nervous is an understatement!!

Thank you so much for posting this thread.... I was so pumped for my May 16th surgery... until yesterday, when I had my pre-op meeting with the surgery coordinator at the clinic. She went over the risks, and what to expect pre-op, during the operation, and post-op. She made me sign a paper stating that I know there is a risk of death associated with ANY procedure (rare risk, I know... but still, seeing it written out....)... also that if they cannot do it laporoscoplly, that they would have to do an open procedure, and I would need to consent to that (Which I absolutely do not want an open procedure, she said it's a rare (almost non-existent occurence in clients who have never had surgery before).. I know all this stuff is stuff that they LEGALLY have to tell you, and that the chances are higher that you'll win the lotto than have any of these side effects... but still.

So when I got home last night, my crazy mind was going over all the 'what ifs', visions of my body laying dead on the OR table (I am so sorry if this scares anyone else), even the thought that the doctor would have my charts messed up and perform a bypass by mistake, or WORSE a heart removal (Now, I KNOW a heart removal isn't a typical surgical procedure.. but, hey, it COULD happen)..... Then my DH told me that if I had doubts, he'd support my decision to not have the surgery, just as he supported my decision TO have it... He told my that he noticed a new commitment to exercising and dieting and that I could probably do it by myself..

(Ok, sidebar, DH is literally the PICTURE of fitness, a personal trainer, with a basement full of 1/2 marathon trophies.. my husband doesn't have a 'pinch'able surface on his body...)

So, this made me upset.. (in my crazy, going thru something big, mind).... I told him... "If i could do it on my own, don't you think I would have? Don't you think there have been a million diets that I started truly belieiving.. OMG this is going to be IT, I'm gonna stick to this one.. Do you think I EVER go into a diet thinking "I'll try this for a month or so, and then go back to grotesquely overeating, because that seems to be working for me"... So he replies... "Ok, then you want the surgery??".. And at that moment, I realized all the 'risks', as much as I'd rather just have a lapband installed via a fairy's magic wand, I need this lap band. ..and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it.

Sorry this was so wordy, I guess I just needed an outlet.

Thanks for reading.

If it helps any...

The stats for anesthesia related death is fewer than 1 in 100,000 patients. A true anesthesia related complication causing death is rare.

I have to admit, the fear of my doc doing bypass vs. banding crossed my mind too. But we were talking about the band in OR before I went to sleep so that risk was pretty low. Aren't you a nurse? Ever see a patient getting a BTK amp write with magic marker on the good leg, "DO NOT REMOVE"? Write on your stomach, LAP BAND ONLY. :D Or, ask how much time they scheduled you for surgery. If it is 1 hour or less, you are good to go. If it is 3 hours or more, jump off that table and run the other way.

Removing your heart... impossible. You have to actually be brain dead before they can do that. :D

Lap to open procedure, rare. But it might need to be necessary. It's not the end of the world, it will just feel like it after surgery. That is mostly done if the patient has previous adhesions. If your liver is too big most docs will simply not do the procedure vs. opting for open. Clarify that. If your liver is too big explain they should close the lap incisions and you will do a LSD until it is smaller.

Just keep in mind, the rare risk of complications with the band causing death is just that, rare. The risk for morbid obesity isn't rare, it WILL happen. So you have a choice, a rare risk or a certainty.

I'd go with rare, and did.

Thank you so much, Wasabubble.. I just needed a reality smack in the face... I planned on writing a friendly reminder on my tummy... It's just different being a patient.. and honestly, I've never actually WORKED in hospital.. I did my training, and rotation, and I've been working from home part time under a physician treating group home patients.. very mild rashes and things, very few calls. Besides, my specialty is dermatology, (although obviously I had to train on the WHOLE body first... not just the skin :-) not exactly practicing at the time... although I've kept my license up to date....

I really appreciate all your soothing words. Thanks :-)

You're welcome for the post, I guess I kind of needed an outlet also. Everyone's encouraging words have definitely helped me. I think I will still be nervous, but I have to work over the weekend, so that may take my mind off of it a little. Everything that you said in your post about worrying about the form you had to sign is almost exactly what has also gone through my mind this last week. So, you are absolutely not alone!!

We are almost there, keep faith alive....we can do it. :flame:

3 DAYS UNTIL SURGERY!!!

SillyWillyMommie,

Do we have the same hubby? Their support can be a slap in the face sometimes. They just dont understand the scope of how big this problem is. My DH is so fit and in shape, yet he always is saying, 'I need to go to the gym, I'm getting a gut, I need to ref more, I'm getting out of shape.' As innocent as those statements my be, they are a knife in the back that I not doing the same thing. :thumbs_up:

I am 12 days from surgery and so scared of what will life be like after. I have spent so much time thinking of myself as the Fat girl, that I have started trying to think the other way. It's like a light has gone off and I know will have THE TOOL, to make this work.

Thanks for the words, I felt like you were talking to me. I see you and I have something in common.. "The best kids in the World". :Banane43:

I am in a hotel 8 hours from checking in for surgery....still very nervous though. I have a lot of support around me. I hope things will go smooth tomorrow. Excited about being banded & ready for my life to change.

Wish me luck, I will sign back in later & let everyone know how I'm feeling.

:rockon: