Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Years and still struggling

I got my lap band 5 years ago. I was 414 when I started and got down to about 360. I have been struggling ever since, I have gained weight and I am now at 375, but I have been holding steady at that weight for about 3 years or so. It is really difficult, I drink too much when I eat and I force food through the band with liquids. I have a difficult time with the "full" feeling from the band, it feels really uncomfortable and I feel like I need to drink something to get rid of that feeling. My wife has been supportive, but now she is indifferent because she has seen no major progress. Food is a drug and I don't know how to fight the addiction. My doctor moved her practice almost an hour away into the heart of a not so nice neighborhood in Baltimore, so getting there is less than convenient so I haven't had a fill in over a year. Is anyone else struggling? I need help, advice, support or whatever. I have two beautiful children and I want to be able see them grow up.

Sorry for your struggle. food is an addition to me too and I don't know how to get over it either. I told my husband (a drinker) I was like the kind of alcoholic who drinks the vanilla and the medicine just for the alcohol. He thought if he had food that I didn't like, that I wouldn't eat it. But I can't help myself.

@@Menth13

Hi!

I was banded in Sept 2009, so have had mine for quite a while too. And I have experienced a band that IS and a band that is NOT working as it was designed too.

I hear a couple of GOOD things coming from your post...

1. You have maintained your current weight for the last three years.

2. You're drinking to push food through your band.

3. You still have the desire to lose it sounds like.

You've maintained, without gaining....so the band may still be doing somthing.....just not quite enough.

Drinking to push food through....can be corrected.

You haven't given up!

Now, a couple questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you lose the 60+ pounds early on because you were dieting and YOU controlled what you ate, or did your band work differently for you during that time?

Are you able to follow up with your doctor and see that everything is good with your band? Adjustment level, no other issues?

There's a lot of experience throughout these boards....each of us having our own stories and suggestions. Glad you're here!

Thinking about myself in your situation....I quess my band is tight enough, but not over tight, that I cannot drink to push food through...if I did, it will come back up and out....

So when I get that feeling you are describing, it is either time to slow down, or stop eating altogether...or perhaps the food I am eating is not appropriate... and drinking Water will not make it go away, only make it worse....

So eventually, over time, my addictions, my cravings, my approach to food and eating entirely, was FORCED to change due to having surgery, not with anything I did through my own will power....(I don't have any in this regard)

It was behavior Modification.....

I am not in the habit of telling other people to do or not to do...their lives are not my business and I will not Dx over the internet with strangers....

But I will look at my experience with the band and it would appear my band is adjusted a little tighter, where in the beginning had unpleasant consequences, but forced me to change to where I don't even notice it anymore, and don't think about the band being there at all.....changing a life time of bad habits and addictions that were killing me and ruining my life.

A little while back I had a 1/2cc taken out....tipped the scales entirely allowing me to eat more, and returning my cravings and hunger....I had to get the 1/2cc put back in within 2 weeks...

But again, that's me and my story...there are 100"s of people ere who have found their success with different approaches....somewhere in the mix you will find yours.

Edited by B-52

Does your doctor have monthly support group meetings? Getting together with others, and comparing notes, might help with the motivation to control what you are eating.

Just an observation, but I've seen people use food as an escape from other problems; usually related to depression or other emotional issues. That can be hard to deal with on your own. I'd at least call your doctor and talk to the staff. They might have some suggestions that would help you.

Good luck, it is hard, but worth it.

Thank you all for the encouraging words, and knowing I am not alone in the struggle. I will be contacting another bariatric surgeon that is considerably closer to where and see if he is willing to take on new patients that he did not operate on. I have also been in contact with a friend on my wife's who had bypass surgery to see what support groups she goes to. My plan is to take it one day at a time and to try my very best for my kids.

Hey. I got banded 6 years ago and although I was been able to stop gaining weight I never got down to my desired weight. Had issues with possible slippage and was completely "unfilled" earlier this year, Disaster. Now up 25 lbs and struggling to get refilled to get good restriction and at the same time try and get weight off on my own. It's been very hard but I feel a renewed determination to succeed. Hopefully will get another fill within next few weeks and get back on track. Good luck to everyone on their journey.