Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 6th lap band to gastric bypass surgery

So glad to see this question. I just got back from the doctor from a de-fill. Having a terrible time with acid reflux and keep getting refilled and filled again. He suggested a conversation to the bypass. Im interested jusy nervous about another surgery.

The same thing happened to me. My doc said the same thing. As much misery as this band has caused me, I jumped right in the middle of that. I just got ins approval Friday and hope to have it done within the next 10 days.

Hi everyone! I am not scheduled yet but have my final appointment (nutritionist) on Aug 13 before going to insurance for approval. I am assuming I will be a September surgery patient. Allielee it is very good to hear that you are finding life after bypass easier than with the band. I never found anything about the band to be neither easy nor intuitive. I am so looking forward to my second last chance to take control of my health. Sface if the August people don't wanna hang out I will hang out with you! Of course the more the merrier, though! :)

I'm 5 weeks out from rny. My band came out in 2011. This week I'm noticing more energy and an overall sense of well being

I was sick for the whole year I had the band. Even my worst moments since bypass (like feeling super hot and nauseated sometimes after I eat) are nothing compared to the misery of the band. I have absolutely no regrets at this short time postop. I am in a bit of a stall at 30 lbs. down and no loss for a week, but am motivated to up my Protein and exercise and persevere. Best of luck to all of you who are making this change to improve you lives and health!

I'm 5 weeks out from rny. My band came out in 2011. This week I'm noticing more energy and an overall sense of well being

I was sick for the whole year I had the band. Even my worst moments since bypass (like feeling super hot and nauseated sometimes after I eat) are nothing compared to the misery of the band. I have absolutely no regrets at this short time postop. I am in a bit of a stall at 30 lbs. down and no loss for a week, but am motivated to up my Protein and exercise and persevere. Best of luck to all of you who are making this change to improve you lives and health!

That is so good to heat, zanneg! I am sorry about the stall but it sounds like you are doing what needs to be done to push through it. I cannot wait until I am 5 weeks out and hopefully 30 pounds down, too! I really do miss having energy., lol. :)

Did Band removal and Conversion to By-pass on July 14th. Best thing I ever did!! Differences - Post-op about the same, no issues with eating (and things getting stuck)...the small portions are making it tough to get all the Protein in but I have become very concentrated on that and know which foods are better for me (ie. ground up chicken with fat free gravy, egg whites, Protein Shakes at least 1 per day if not two). I have some nausea when trying new foods but nothing that requires me to medicate.

Definitely lactose intolerant now but using Almond milk helps with that.

Not going without liquor seemed o.k to me before but I do rather miss my glass of wine every now and then - I got some sugar free vodka I may try in about a month (not that adventurous yet).

overall my weight loss is much better and I am continually losing!

sorry to hear that sface1963! Im also band to GB this Wednesday! I'm sooo excited !!! I really appreciate all of you and hope we can stay connected!!

A week later, and I still haven't heard from my surgeon's nurse to set up surgery.

:angry: Definitely not a happy camper!

A week later, and I still haven't heard from my surgeon's nurse to set up surgery.

:angry: Definitely not a happy camper!

I would definitely be calling their office. I know they're busy but that's a bit unacceptable.

I call her every two days and leave a message, Bing. If I don't receive a call back by Monday, I'll just call both advocates, my nutritionist, the receptionist (who loves me because I bake cakes for her), and let them know I'll be there Tuesday afternoon if I don't get a response by then. I don't really want to be "that patient," but I will if I have to.

I had lap band to bypass in the same surgery on June 10th. I'm down 30lbs and have been on a multi week stall. I've not encountered any issues and so happy to have the band out. Frustrated with the very slow weight loss. Anyone else experiencing this?

HI EVERYONE

MY COUNT DOWN IS ON. SURGERY DATE 8/27/14 THIS WED!!!!! THE SURGEON UNFILLED BY MY BAND 4/1/14. I WILL HOPEFULLY WAKE UP HAVING HAD THE RNY BYPASS - WITH MY NEW LIFE BEFORE ME. I'VE BEEN ON THE PRE-OP FAST. MINE IS 4 SLIM FAST HIGH Protein shakes OR 5 1/2 CARNATION INSTANT Breakfast sugar free. I ALSO CAN HAVE SF POPSICLES & SF Jello & 1 CUP OF chicken BULLION OR STOCK. I DON'T KNOW WHY ONLY 1 CUP. THE DIETIAN SAID IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF THE SODIUM SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND. DOES ANY ONE OUT THERE NO WHYIF NOT BECAUSE OF SODIUM. I KNOW THE FAST IS TO HELP YOU LOOSE WEIGHT & SHRINK A FATTY LIVER BUT I DON'T GET THAT. I'M EXCITED & NERVOUS. KEEP IN YOU PRAYERS.

Denise that is so exciting!!! Wow, just one more day. :) I have no idea why different doctors have different diets, lol. it seems very strange to me that the preop diet is so varied! I have ONE MORE TEST (Barium swallow) and then it is off to the insurance company for preauthorization. i have already started getting ready (ordering Vitamins, cutting nicotine out of my e-cig, TRYING to reduce caffeine, and eating better) but I am definitely going to have problems with the preop diet. I get so tired, and I will also have to kick the rest of my caffiene habit while working full time and running around after a 5-year-old. Makes me exhausted just thinking about it. I just keep telling myself that soon I will not have to stress out over not having enough caffeine to stay awake at work because I will actually be healthy and have natural energy!

Congratulations on jumping thrugh all the hoops and I will be thinking about you tomorrow and praying that all goes well with your surgery. Happy new you!!!

I had my rny revision last monday. I had a very extreme case. 2 months after having my son my band slipped and twisted causing lots of damage and had to be removed that morning. The rny is my new beginning I had gained all 100lbs lost in the 6 months between removal and rny. My preop started 8/15 and I lost 16 lbs prior to surgery. At my 1 week post op I was down 4 lbs on top of the Water weight from 6 days in the hospital. I came out of a 7 hr surgery with a tube down my nose into my bowel to keep my intestines from healing shut. I had to have a catheter and was medically induced sleep for 3 days. Once they removed the tube and catheter I was up and walking on day 4. By the end of day 5 I was walking on my own and progressed to be released on day 6. The nurses could not believe my determination to be released. Even with my complications rny was the right choice. I am 10 days out and am so grateful for this chance to renew my life.

@Whitar10 Wow, what an eventful week you had!! I am glad you came through all of that and that you are now on your way to a new, healthy you. Congratulations on your success so far and thank you for sharing your experience!

@@Sreeves it was very scary since I was never told how severe the complications could be. I also got an infection which caused hallucinations. All I had was a picture of my beautiful 9 month old at home that I needed to make it through to see. On day 4 the nurse sanitized my room so he could visit me. That was the day my progress turned around. I truly am grateful for this opportunity but it was not easy.

@@Whitar10 Wow that is so scary. Congratulations on your baby, too! Hopefully it will be all downhill from here. :)