Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any couples with young children here who've both had WLS?

I'm thinking this is going to be a low amount of replies if any, but thought I'd see if there are any.

I write this every time I post, but my wife and I are still in the pre-VSG phase trying to get through the insurance hurdles.

We have a twelve year old that is also highly overweight and I was wondering if having gone through the WLS and started losing weight if their eating habits changed along with your eating habits.

Do you still buy the junk stuff for the youngster or how do they make it through the transition?

I haven't had my surgery yet. But my family is changing along with me. It's there way to show support. I have a 11 year old that is a little overweight and a 7 year old. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to set a good example for my kids. So getting them to figure out how to make it in life (hopefully without having to go through a process like this) would be the one of the greatest things I can do for them.

Don't buy it at all, you are NOT "depriving" them. They will learn more about nutrition by eating healthy foods and be better set for a long healthy life. As a parent, that's you end goal, isn't it?

My hubby and I both had vsg last summer. We went from no visits to full custody of my step daughter who is 8. She is a blessing as she loves veggies and dislikes most carbs (she eats spaghetti with a few noodles and more meat/sauce, will pick chicken out of rice, etc.). She was not here for the surgerys but adapted right in as we were further out. The hardest hurdle will be the first few months. Once you are back to normal foods they will adapt with you. The one thing that amazes me that I love is being able to keep up with her while she runs and plays or sitting on the floor playing dolls for hours without havibg to readjust because my legs or back were hurting or falling asleep :). Just let them be apart of the planning. Perfect time to teach true portion sizes, if you want seconds okay but your starting with your veggies and Protein etc. Use them as motivation to go walk or bike ride they will love the extra time they get :)

I was 14 when my mom had bypass surgery and we as a family worked hard to support her because we knew she had to succeed for health reasons.

I'm looking forward to the change in habits/lifestyle.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. :)

I think the timing couldn't be better for your 12 year old to learn new healthy habits and shed some extra weight right along with the parents.

I don't see any reason to buy junk. 12 is plenty old enough to get it elsewhere (like at school for example) so might as well make home a healthier place :P

Best of luck to you all, keep us updated! :) :)

Edited by woo woo

I'm trying to make small changes but I'm just home today and my little ones are tiny (less than a year and 4yrs old). Its hard though!

I can't wrap my head around why someone would buy junk food for their obese child. Why wait to introduce good habits?

My husband is the one who originally asked this question. One of our problems with our son is that he is a picky eater. He has started to eat green Beans now, when before the only veggie he would eat is corn. We've been talking to him about better eating habits. I've shown him about serving sizes. He also loves eating sandwiches,such as pb and honey or ham or turkey and cheese. No Condiments on the sandwiches, so I guess that is a good thing. We've also been buying more fruits and he has been enjoying those as well. We are just ready to get the surgery and start going from there. Hopefully, when he sees us eating better he will become more appreciative of healthy foods. :)