Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help - getting ready for wedding

I was banded on 3/15/07. So far I've lost about 12 pounds. I am getting married in September, and would like to lose another 50 pounds by then. I have ordered a gown in size 14, my current size is 18. Can anyone who is 6 months out or more let me know what they think about my goal? Is it do-able, can I do even more?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Let me know what advise you get... I'm getting married in November .. I'm not going to order my gown until June... but I'm not sure even then if I should order a few sizes smaller. I'd hate to order a gown that has to be altered so much that it no longer looks nice.

Any seamstresses out there who can advise us about this?

Is it do-able, can I do even more?? Any advice would be appreciated!
I would love to be able to tell you "yes" or "no", but it just can't be done. You can't even rely on things like "So far I've lost at this rate, so if that continues..." because you could hit a plateau and not lose another pound, or you could find a nice groove and double your weightloss. There's just simply absolutely no way of knowing. And so much of it will depend on you, separate from any other factor. How well you stick to your rules, whether or not you're eating an additionally restricted diet, how well you exercise... even what difference exercise makes for your body.

Sorry, can't help with the seamstress part. My version of sewing = super glue.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I'm going to pipe up and tell you that OF COURSE it can be done! But YOU are the one who is going to have to do it. If you really want to lose 50 lbs in that time there's no reason in the world you can't.

In early 1990, I went on Opti-Fast and lost 75 lbs in three months. (I don't recommend that, btw.) Toward the end of that time I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding, and was having the dress made to fit. Each time I went back for another fitting, I'd lost another size! Drove the poor woman crazy.

So my advice would have been to not order the dress until later. I got married that same year and bought something absolutely beautiful off the rack in a smaller size than I'd expected. My lesson with the bridemaid dress taught me to leave the tailoring alone. :rolleyes

I was banded on 3/15/07. So far I've lost about 12 pounds. I am getting married in September, and would like to lose another 50 pounds by then. I have ordered a gown in size 14, my current size is 18. Can anyone who is 6 months out or more let me know what they think about my goal? Is it do-able, can I do even more?? Any advice would be appreciated!

The biggie here is did you try on that specific gown in an 18? Do you know for certain that though your personal clothing size is an 18, that gown will also fit you in an 18? If so, then you may be able to lose to a 14. Wedding gowns are notorious for being sized oddly. One manufacturer's 8 is another's 6 and yet another's 10. There will be no way to tell until then. I used to make wedding gowns and I can say I wouldn't have ordered it yet in the 14. But what's done is done. You now have to buckle down and work, work, work. As Alexandra said, sure you can do it! And we're here for you!

I don't recall if you said how much you weigh now, and I don't know how much weight lost = a size lost for you, but I've lost 40 lbs so far (pre-band) and still haven't budged a single size. Then again, I'm 331 lbs. I was 371 and a 28, and I am sitting here typing in the same 28's I was in then. Exercise will also be your friend.

Wedding gowns are notorious for being sized oddly.
This is a good point! When I got married I was wearing a 14 (I think) in clothing, but my wedding dress was a 22. ;)

I can appreciate your situation as a reality with my daughter. We too bought a 14 based on a prior gown she bought. Her wedding is next year. She has 50 pounds to lose.

The best you can do is what folks have recommended here and stick to it. I would wait until three months before the wedding to get a first fit.

The truth about those dresses is they DO come in odd sizes. They run a size off. Each dress is unique. Try it on when you get it. Try it on in two months. Corset's can be a girl's best friend.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a size 18 in that gown right now, so I figured 2 sized would be safe..I'm hoping anyway!!

Corset's can be a girl's best friend.

Yep! I was pulled and yanked into my corset (just like the one you posted in your want to wear thread) by two women. It was a challenge but it was worth it! I had a waist and my 44DD's looked even bigger.

EBay is a GREAT place to buy nice corsets for reasonable prices.

Good thread! I am getting married in December, and have not even thought about the gown yet.. or the wedding.. except for location. I'm afraid to fall in love with a gown now that may or may not fit then. Also, if I see my fat arms in a wedding gown today, I may end up getting married in a moomoo because of traumatizing myself ;)

Good to know 3 months out is a good time to start fitting.. leaves me a while yet!

My daughter said she didnt' want to look like a "marshmellow bride". She was a 14 and Queen at homecoming in high school four years ago. She put on quite a bit her second year of college. She's now going the other way on the scale and taking her health seriously. She's lost 26 pounds!! yay for her.

This is her wedding gown:

ball46.jpg

ball46a.jpg

ball462.jpg

Thanks Alexandra! (love your name) She is still looking for a veil. She doens't want anything ornamental on her head, simply veil. Her hair (looks nothing like mine) is full, thick, blonde and curls all over. ( my hair looks like a horse' tail )

Hi,

I too am getting married. My wedding is in August of this year. I got my dress in January. I am a size 18, but I think my dress is a 22. Wedding dresses are sized smaller than real clothes. I asked the bridal shop why, and she told me that because the dresses are made in China their sizes run differently.

I am going for my first fitting in May and I will have lost about 10 pounds since I bought my dress ( I am a very slow loser). I hope to see a difference.

I know that I am a slow loser and I sincerly doubt I will loose a significant amount of weight before now and my wedding, I'll be happy with 10-15 pounds.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you get out of it , what you put into it.

I'm going in the the dr. in a week or so for a fill, and will tell them that my final fitting is in July and that whatever I am at in July is what I"m going to strive to maintain until my wedding in August.

Good luck and contratulations on your wedding.