Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight are you requires to lose?

With Kaiser, I had a 3 month "Options" class to take (12 classes) and the recommended goal was for everyone to lose 5%. That being said, the ONLY true requirement was that you could not gain any weight. If you did, you could not move forward with surgery.

My insurance (Aetna) did not require a specific weight loss, but I was not allowed to gain any weight during my 3-month nutritional/exercise plan. I was already losing weight before I started the plan, so I just continued with what I was doing: cutting down calories and adding strength + cardio.

I'm now starting my two-week protein-shake pre-op diet and I've lost 55 lbs since mid-January. I lowered my total net calorie to about 1300 a day (plus exercise) a few months back and I'm feeling really good and not too worried about the shakes. If I do get really hungry I'll have some non-starchy veggies or Egg Beaters. The point of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver, so limiting fat is the key.

None.

My insurance didn't require a 6month diet, And my surgeon didn't require me to lose any weight.

My doctor requires 10% and he told me that if I could lose 20-30lbs then we are good to go. ;)

I am just starting the process and I have my first appt. next week. How much were you requires to lose before surgery. I am doing the sleeve. My endocrinologist and I have discussed options at great length and have decided this would be the best option for me. He referred me over to the weight loss center here.

Hi Lacy, my insurance required me to lose 5% of my weight which was 13 pounds, I will not say it was hard but it sure wasn't easy, but I did it. My surgery has been moved from the 28th to the 30th and my insurance company which is BCBS Excellus approved me in 3 days so I am happy about that. I start my pre opt liquid diet on Thursday of this week, so wish me luck on that one. Good luck to you and the time will fly by, you'll be sleeved before you know it.

I'm with Kaiser, I weighed in at 330 and they're requiring me to lose 25 pounds.

I'm with Aetna and they don't require you to lose weight but you can't have any net gain at the end of 3 months. They also don't require I see the NUT more than once. So my supervised diet is with my PCP. Personally I like that better because she knows me and I feel very comfortable with her.

Edited by txdogmom

I have been set the target of losing 30lbs 10% of my starting weight. It's been stressing me out a little because after 2 months of supervised DE I've only lost 6lbs. My NUT told me not to stress out too much that it's not set in stone. My original target date for surgery was November but I want to have it after the second week in December so I can have the time off.