Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After reading complications people are going through years later with the SLEEVE... I'm too scared now to do it!

I'm thinking of no surgery or the Band... Sleeve seems too scary .. Leaks.. Pic lines.. Iv s... Whole Stomach removal.. Omg read the complications of some people I don't want the sleeve !

I've had a boatload of complications and a negative experience with a surgeon

AND I WOULD STILL GET SURGERY DONE AGAIN. Would some things be different, yes, but I'd still get it done.

and being one of those who almost died from malnutrition, who has problems from it and GI problems, if I can say life on this side is still more than what it was on the other side, my question is why the problem?

I was terrified before my surgery, but moved forward knowing that the risk/benefit profile for the sleeve was still overwhelmingly positive. I'm a band to sleeve revision and I wish I had just done the sleeve the first time. The band did not work for me - while there are more serious complications/risks with the sleeve - there is a hugely high risk (as high as 50%) of less serious complications with the band and just lack of success. That said - you need to make the decision that you're most comfortable with based on all the available data. Wishing you the best.

I guess there can be complications with any of the surgeries but 2 of my friends had the lap-band and that was where I was headed but backed out and plan to be sleeved sometime around Nov. Both lost some weight prior to surgery but after was another story, one was following things to a t the other strayed some but when I was with either and something got stuck , it petrified me but with any of these surgeries if we do what we are told and we have a good qualified surgeon I really feel that we can overcome any of these complications, sure we are going to be nervous and me myself at times is scared to death but since I have gotten active on this website I am feeling so much better, I love adding these post and sure not everything is going perfect for all but everybody will get thru this, the last time I was getting prepared before my husband started his battle with cancer (and I had to stop) I was on two other support pages and I will never go back to either of those , everything I read was bad , everyday and I finally asked in a POST if anyone on those pages ever had anything go right and I never got a response, but it hasn't been that way on Bariatricpal.com and I hope I just keep my Faith strong and my nerves in tact and a note to 1cutechubbychic keep thinking positive and remember we will all have obstacles we have to get thru but what you have chose is right for you and stay strong and know that we all have everyone in our thoughts we are all here for the same thing so give it all you got and know that we just need to do as our surgeon says and we should be fine. Hope to hear after your surgery you are doing GREAT. Keep posting.

In my recent post , I said I love adding these posts and I meant I love READING these posts. OOPS.

The complication rates from obesity (Diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart disease, joint pain, etc.) are MUCH higher than complications from any WLS.

I agree with you Kindle, and I keep telling myself this every day. I am really getting excited for my sleeve and all of you on this site have helped me more than any of you know with all the positive posts.

I'm going for the sleeve because my sister has the band and lost weight, had tt and face lift. Today she is back to her pre-band weight, all is lost that she had done.

I don't want that to happen too me. I hear on here all the band to sleeve revisions and by golly I don't want to go through it a second time. I've also been reading on this site and the sleeve is the right way for me to go. I appreciate all the good responses and even the bad. I may not be sleeved till end Oct early Nov but I sure enjoy this site over other sites. Keep it up everyone!

#9grammy I am right there with you, hope all goes well and our surgery dates seem to be right around the same time frame.

I'm thinking of no surgery or the Band... Sleeve seems too scary .. Leaks.. Pic lines.. Iv s... Whole Stomach removal.. Omg read the complications of some people I don't want the sleeve !

It sounds like WLS is not for you. Best wishes.

My cousin has the band & some complications. She recommended the Sleeve. Glad she did. Being about 150# overweight has brought on issues I hope to get rid of. CPAP, oxygen 24/7, heart issues, high collesterol & triglyserides. I think making sure you have a good surgeon is key to success.

Please make the choice that you feel is necessary for you....I had the lapband in 2005 and went from size 18 to 8...I was compliant, I started getting fills and unfills from being too tight or not tight enough and reflux kicked in....to prevent any internal damage I had to get totally unfilled and the weight came back on slowly. I did alot of throwing up, the reflux was choking me during the night and food would get stuck and I stayed hungryyyyyyyyy with the band. I say all this to say IT DOESNT MEAN IT WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU!! It didnt work for me and I am recently sleeved and have been loving my sleeve since day1....never hungry, no vomiting, no reflux, no painful needles for fills/unfills, no stuck foods! Good luck on your decision, its yours you maybe able to rock the band and love it!!

Thanks but it IS for me , I just worry ... I really want and need it.. I don't understand why some people have leaks Years later??

Thanks but it IS for me , I just worry ... I really want and need it.. I don't understand why some people have leaks Years later??

i think its really important to find a surgeon in a center of excellence who does lots of sleeves. i have heard of very few complications in our local support group. its important to remember, healthy people almost never have this surgery. sick obese people have more complications. always. and the rate of complications from being obese is 100%, right?

Then why aren't you talking to a surgeon if it IS for you? Talk to them, get the research. People here are going to tell you your experiences. If you need data go for that, but if you need hand holding (and some of us are getting that impression) than you need to go find bariatric surgeons and discuss the matter with them.