Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazing Meal by Amazing Grass, anyone?

I'm heading in for my VSG on September 4 and am just now perusing Protein choices. Received a sample of a drink mix called Amazing Meal by Amazing Grass in a subscription box, of all places. Mixed with 10 oz of Water it says it provided 10g Protein and 6g of fibre. It is entirely plant based with no added sugars. A little gritty but the vanilla chai flavour doesn't taste bad at all. Would this be a viable Protein shake option?

Thanks!

Seems a little low on the Protein shake scale. My Syntrax Nectars have 24 gms of Protein for 8 oz. Maybe u can use 2 scoops (unless it's really strong tasting).

I would ask ur dr. My dr specifically said no use of Slim Fast cuz it didn't contain enuf protein per serving (10 gms for 8 oz).

Good luck!

I've two months pre-surg so I'm taste testing. Seemed a little light on the Protein to me, too, but am thinking it might be a good way to get some veg in. Thanks for the input! :)

Edited by Carrie B-D

It definitely a good idea to taste numerous Protein powders before u hafta rely on them. When I was banded in 2009, I made the mistake of ordering cases of Muscle Milk and Isopure. That was a waste of over $130. I hated both. Never really found one I liked back then.

When I went thru my sleeve revision last summer, I decided to try different brands/flavors. I stopped at my 3rd brand (Syntrax Nectar). Luv'd it. Got a pack of 12 sample packs (all different flavors) from bjsbaritatrics.com for $15.00. I also tried unjury and Premium (from Sams). I liked Syntrax the best. Not really fond of the ones u mix with Water (like strawberry kiwi, Roadside Lemonade, etc). I prefer the ones u mix with milk (cappucino and vanilla bean torte - mixed with sf coffee syrup). Adds a few more calories (also Protein by 9gms) but ur drinking so little calories in the beginning, the extra calories are actually good.

Just an FYI: I found out after my icky order from GNC.com had expired that whatever u order from the website, u can return if u don't like it. WOulda saved a boatload of money.

I agree it's low on the Protein scale but I wouldn't exactly count it out especially if it's something you like. I'd look at it more in terms of when you drink it. Definitely not something you'd want to use pre op or right after surgery. With both you would be drinking a ton of shakes a day to get your protein in and immediately post op it's hard enough to get in just 1 or 2 lol As you progress through the stages and are relying more on food for protein it would be great to use for that little editional boost. Plus as you said the veg is very beneficial.

If you turn out to be a person like my husband and I who want to gag from the sight of a Protein shake at one month out from surgery you want more bang for your buck so to speak. I want it to have more Protein so I do not have to force myself to drink as much. That is a lot of drinks to reach goal on the liquid stage with only 10 grams.

Also something to keep in mind. I really liked some drinks and textures pre surgery after it was no go on those items.

Gritty may not be a good texture on new tummy but then again may be perfect for you.

Protein Drinks are very individual what you like everyone around you may hate. My husband and I drink very different things.

I would not invest in huge quantities of anything and save samples to experiment with after as well as before to help with tastebud changes.

If you're looking for plant based, check out the Vega Sport line. It's delicious and they have so many options. They have shakes for just abouy everything and Protein Bars. It's vegan. Soy, nut, gluten, and dairy free. It's available at GNC, Whole Foods, and Vitamin Shoppe. Vitamin Shoppe is the cheapest, but GNC has a buy one get one 50% off sale now!

Wow! Thanks for all of the input everyone! I've read and heard that the tastebuds and textural preferences can change drastically post-op so no caselot purchases here until after the procedure. Waiting on the samples from unjury now. :)

I still experiment now. I just received nectars from synthax - very different. Don't love it. Hate some like some sort of.

unjury so far I like what I have tried

Chike no

Isopure haven't tried but lots of people complain about them so I haven't even ventured

Muscle Milk- it is ok

Premier I like

Jay Robb my favorite.

Point is give them a try but only buy the sample packets so you don't waste your money. I did not have any taste changes post surgery except to say I like fish now and previously I hated it.

It is all about the taste, and texture, Synthax is like koolaid on drugs to me. I prefer ones made with milk (I use unsweetened almond milk). Water mixed with Protein does nothing for me except the chicken broth one by unjury.

It is what you personally prefer.

Edited by Sparklingbeauty53