Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss on pre-op diet

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone lost weight on their pre-op diet and if so how much?

I hope I do.

I was allowed 3 Protein Shakes and unlimited leafy green veggies. I was required to lose 12 pounds and ended up losing 22 pounds in 16 days.

Edited by Kindle

I lost 23lbs on my 2 wk pre op diet. It was a wondeeful start to.my new life!

Sry, my pre op diet was a high Protein diet. I was told to take health wise products. I ate good and 6 times a day. I had Protein Bars, Pasta, Soups, chili, hot chocolate, Cookies, chips and other stuff but it was all that product. I ate 700-900 cal a day and 60-90g of protein a day and it tasted great! Really got me ready for post op protein rich eatting. I loved it! Lost 23lbs on it. I still use some of the products even now.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone lost weight on their pre-op diet and if so how much?

I hope I do.

Today is the start of week 2 of my preop diet. Mine consist of 3 Protein shake and a salad. So far down 11.2... Seem like the last 2 days not too much have came off but probably need to increase Water intake!!!

I lost 31 pounds, but I was voluntarily on mine for about two months before surgery. My surgeon wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight before surgery and I hit that number on the head! :)

I was going to do the same thing. My Dr requires 2 weeks of 2-3 Protein drinks a day [the 3rd being a snack if needed] and a salad w/ 4 oz Protein and low fat/fat free dressing. Followed by a clear liquid diet 3 days before my procedure. I've eaten similar to this before and was able to do it for almost 2 months so I was considering doing it again like you are, especially since most of my weight is in my stomach.

my pre op was 3-4 shakes, sugar free popcicles, Jello, light yogurt, oatmeal (never had any), broth, Water, unlimited raw veg.

i lost 16 lbs over 2 weeks and surgeon said my liver was shrunk, but still fairly large and this surgery would eventually prove to save my life!

I am still pre-op, surgery August 4, and my surgeon told me I had to stop eating deserts, soda, crackers, popcorn, bread, rice, Pasta and potatoes from the initial consulation on May 28. Five days later I had the worst gallbladder attack ever- inflamed and infected gallbladder and I was very sick for about three weeks. I had no idea I had gallstones until I had to go to the ER for the pain. It took 20 days of antibiotics to stop the fever and control the infection. So between the pre-op modified Atkins and being really ill and scared to have almost any fat at all, I have lost 30 pounds. So of course my brother who thinks I'm an idiot to have the surgery says that this proves that all I need to do is to eat less. I suppose that would work if I could have an infected gallbladder for the rest of my life. But that would lead to pancreatitis and I would have a much shorter life!

I still have another month to go before surgery so we'll see how much my gallbladder will help me lose before then.