Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is soon and I have fearful days

Hello all. I guess this is my first time posting a thread!

My name is Robyn and my surgery is scheduled for next month, July 16th. Some days I am excited. I have lost the weight before but I have also gained it back.

On my own, I lost 125 pounds. I just don't think I can do it again. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and a host of other things, and sometimes moving around is just too painful.

I am excited to see the day that I get down to the size that I should be, but I am afraid of the way I am going about it some days.

I have to have a surgery one way or the other. I have a very large hiatal hernia that must be fixed. Right now my stomach is 2/3 upinto my chest and I am not doing well.

My RA causes my cells to attack healthy cells. I have to be on a chemotherapy drug as well as a biologic to supress my immune system and I do not heal well.

I have to stop the medications previous my surgery as well as after it. I will be off of them for 5 weeks. They help with the pain and inflamation as well as holding back the disease process. Five weeks is not going to kill me, I know this.

The surgeon tells me I really need to have the wls now or never. The HH surgery is very extensive and if I have the WLS later, the surgeon will have to undo and then redo the HH surgery as well.

It is just a lot to take in.

This is my 1st post also, I have aclalasia and my surgeon sugesested RNY with that procedure. I am disabled and can't exersise , My med eval is next week . I hope the rest goes fast. The benifits outweigh the risks so I believe we are doing the right thing. I' hoping that post op I will get rid of my diabetes. Hbp and soom pain. There is lots of hope just reading about all the other operations and stories. It seems like between this site and other support groups we have lots to fall back on. Good luck, I'll be following your progress

I feel ya. I lost 135 pounds starting 5 years ago. I was down to 180's and stalled there for a year. Then a hip injury sidelined me physically and I allowed myself to be sidelined mentally. I regained 80, lost 40, and gained that back. My body is screaming at me. I am worried about giving up my meds but I have no doubt wls is the answer for me. I think it will give me the edge I need for long term success...one day at a time! I too have a large hernia I assume they will repair. ( I meet with surgeon first time this week . ) so I get the nerves and excitement, which I am sure will be driving me bonkers when I get close. This is an exciting time for us!

I have been nauseus all week. I have no idea why and I am wondering if it may be because of nerves due to the surgery, who knows.

I had an upper GI the other day and the dr looked at my chest CT from a month ago and told me my whole stomach was in my chest cavity.

Wow. None of my doctors had ever really put it like that but he was out with it. Then I saw my stomach up on the screen and I could see the actual hernia. just a little bit of the stomach was below the hernia and the barium was stuck in the upper part, the hernia not allowing it to pass thru.

I know I need the surgery, but it is a little scary. I am just going to try and think positively that everything will go right.

Pik, your post here reminded me of I had a conversation with my mom the other day. I was telling her how nervous I was about my bypass and that I was afraid I wouldn't do well. What if I can't adhere to the rules? What if there are complications? Etc. She said it's a weird position to be in because technically this is an elective surgery. It's not medically necessary like a ruptured appendix. If I need an appendectomy there would still be fear and nerves and apprehension but it would be easier to climb onto that surgery table because I would know that I NEEDED it. Bariatric surgery isn't elective in the same was as a boob job is though.... it's intended to help us to live longer and healthier lives which leaves it somewhere in this gray zone. We need it to thrive but we don't it to survive (well, most of us anyways aren't in immediate danger).

You NEED to have this hernia repaired. If you're already going to be poked and prodded and hospitalized you may as well get them both done and over with! One recovery for two procedures and a shot at a brand new life.

You can do this!

Pik~~ I had my bypass Thursday and I also had my days that I was terrified. Don't give up on it. I'm only 1 full day home post op but I'm glad I did it. They also found a huge hiatal hernia on me as well. The recovery will take longer but better to have it done all at once. You can do it

Pik~~ I had my bypass Thursday and I also had my days that I was terrified. Don't give up on it. I'm only 1 full day home post op but I'm glad I did it. They also found a huge hiatal hernia on me as well. The recovery will take longer but better to have it done all at once. You can do it

I am certainly a little afraid for my recovery! I know I just have to work through it. My biggest fear has to do with the medications I have to take for my RA and my not healing well, etc... =/

Hi Pic, I have most of the same issues as you. I am terrified to have this surgery done b/c I now weigh 213 lbs. I was banded 5 yrs. ago and lost 48 lbs. I've gained back 15 lbs and my A1-C level is higher than it's ever been along with my HBP. I know I can't do this on my own, I've been trying for 30 yrs and I am now 59. I'm listening to everyone else here that has gone through what we are going through now. I've been approved to have the band removed, but now I'm waiting for a call back to see if insurance will once again pay to have rny at the same time. I just want you to know that You're not alone and I wish you the best

Well good luck! I have been nauseous since last Wednesday and I feel like poo! My dr thinks it is from the barium from my upper gi I had last week. Now I just feel like laying around, and that's about all I've done...

Well good luck! I have been nauseous since last Wednesday and I feel like poo! My dr thinks it is from the barium from my upper gi I had last week. Now I just feel like laying around, and that's about all I've done...

I will be having the band removed in 5 days

I will be having the band removed in 5 days

Have you heard back whether or not your insurance will cover the RNY?

Pik- how is your anxiety doing with your big day getting closer?

Much Much better!!! Thank you! I am half way through my 2 week pre op diet. I am not feeling nervous now but on the second day of the diet I was unsure!

How did your surgery go and how is recovery?

My surgery went well. The first couple days after were quite painful. I kept hearing people talk about gas pains and I guess i assumed they meant in their bowels. Not so for me! My main area of pain was has build up right below my sternum. The incisions didnt really hurt at all. After a couple days the gas got much better. I went home on day 2 and each day is easier than the last. I've only been on Tylenol at home for the pain and it's been sufficient. Minimal nausea. I cant wait for tomorrow to come so I can eat some mushy foods!!

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I think by the time you've been on the preop diet log enough you just want to get it over with already!