Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Woo HOO!! Supreme Court upholds Partial Birth Abortion Ban!!!!

Finally, this barbaric practice can end!!!!

GL....I have to agree with you. Although I usually try and stay out of other people's innards, this truly is a barbaric practice. This procedure is performed on late-term pregnancies that would otherwise be viable. They deliver the baby's head, then jab a pair of scissors into its brain. I don't know how those doctors live with themselves.

GL....I have to agree with you.

LOL! Does it hurt THAT much to agree with me??? <jk>

I don't know how those doctors live with themselves.

It is truly barbaric and incredibly violent. But I guess if you're a doctor who kills babies for a living, you'd have to be pretty calloused to life.

LOL! Does it hurt THAT much to agree with me??? <jk>

Oh, no....absolutely not! I just really hate sticking my nose in other people's very personal issues. I loathe abortion, but I think most everyone does, too. Even women who feel it is their best option, I still think it's a gut-wrenching choice most of the time.

Oh, no....absolutely not! I just really hate sticking my nose in other people's very personal issues. I loathe abortion, but I think most everyone does, too. Even women who feel it is their best option, I still think it's a gut-wrenching choice most of the time.

I was once registered Libertarian (not now so I can vote in the primaries) so I agree with you on personal issues. But this one's different because the baby's involved. I think it's gut-wrenching because it's wrong and despite trying to make it an issue of personal freedom, women at the gut level know it's more than that.

"LOL! Does it hurt THAT much to agree with me???"

I have to admit, in my case it really does hurt THAT much to agree with you. But on this issue I do. I would say my views would be similar to those of Carlene. I don't feel like I have a right to tell other people how they need to live their lives. No matter how much I hate abortion, I am simply not in a position to tell a woman that she must make the choice I think is right.

"It is truly barbaric and incredibly violent. But I guess if you're a doctor who kills babies for a living, you'd have to be pretty calloused to life."

This is why it is so hard for me to agree with you, because of statements like that. Yes, partial birth abortion is a truly barbaric and violent act, but to trivialize the hard and painful choices a woman and her doctor must make in that flippant way is, in my view, totally inappropriate.

I've never met anyone who was in favor of abortion. There are just some who believe it is an acceptable, if incredibly difficult, decision that should be legal. There are just times, when the fetus is in the early stages of formation, that I believe a woman has a right to make a choice free from my supervision.

I've never met anyone who was in favor of abortion.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there are people who ARE in favor of abortion. There are some hard-core feminists (forgetting of course that the very first feminists were pro-life) who consider abortion a "right of passage" and have even advocated women who haven't had one getting pregnant on purpose so they can experience abortion.

I am not for late term abortions and do not agree with abortions at all. I do believe a woman has a right to choose what she does with her body but when a baby is involved it is a little different. I have had an abortion and it killed me to do it but my daughter had a lot of health problems and would not have come to term. In fact her heartbeat was so slow they did not know if she would live through the week. I stll Celebrate what was her due date, feb 9, 1992. My sister just had to go through the same thing for the same reason. I had a hard time helping her through it because I never have gotten over mine. It is a hard thing for anyone to do if they have a conscience like me. I can say I would do it all over again because my daughter was suffering.

Robin:cry

Okay, since we are all sharing....

I am completely pro choice and do believe it is a womens right to have an abortion. I believe that until we walk a mile in their shoes, we cannot judge them. Late term abortions are senseless though. At the late term stage the baby could be given up for a full adoption and create a family for someone else. During the first trimester though, it is TOTALLY a womens right to decide not to carry a child to term. Although I do think that women should be responsible in their choices and not use abortion as a form of birth control. If I was pregnant and had not planned it, I would certainly consider abortion as an alternative. Again, no one can be judged unless you are in their shoes. And even if you did walk in their shoes, its not your job anyways.

But in the end, I do not agree with the late term abortion. I don't think it should be banned however I think that doctors should consider the moral dilemma in today's society before doing this practice. However a "ban" will only cause more problems and underground abortions. At least if a woman does choose this option, it is a controlled environment.

Just my two cents...

go ahead, fire away...

I guess I'll sell my Halliburton stock and buy some stock in wire hangers and handheld vaccum cleaners.

Like it's going to stop just because it's illegal! LOL Gimme a break. (THAT would be like expecting all those gung-ho televangelists to stop having affairs and male hooker boyfriends and jack-off dates in hotel rooms... Not gonna happen.)

Like it's going to stop just because it's illegal!

It'll probably stop this particular procedure, which was developed because it ensured the baby's death in the abortion. In other late-term abortion procedures (still legal up until the day of birth), there was always the possibility the baby would be born alive. Stabbing the baby at the base of the skull and sucking out the baby's brains pretty much ended that possibility.

It will not, however, end late-term abortions altogether. Prostaglandin and saline abortions, which chemically burn the baby to death (and whose major complication is "live birth"), will still continue.

Oh boy, here we go again......Princess n the P, I agree w/you 100%! I think I better stay away from this thread.....:hippie:

HOORAY!

Just another step closer to denying women control over their bodies!

YAY!!!

It's THRILLING to see Christianity informing our laws!

I'm SO glad that religious fundamentalists are taking over our government!

I'm sooooo happy today!

You people act as if it's done every day. Late term abortions only occur when the life of the mother is in jeopardy. Any reputable doctor would never perform one casually. This is no victory, but an empty ruling to appease the anti-choice contingent out there.

Congratulations on feeling superior!

This decision is oh so wrong!

Partial birth abortions are not common, had generally only been done when the mother's life is threated. Now, even if the mother's life is threated, there is no recourse - the baby is more important than the person carrying the baby.

If I were pregnant and in that situation, and I cannot fathom how agonizing that situation would be, it should be my choice to save my own life or give it up for a child - not the supreme court's.