Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have noticed after surgery that things containing milk cause nausea/diarrhea.... I'm 9 days post op I started my creamy Soups phase yesterday and it's hard to find anything creamy that doesn't contain dairy products. Or maybe it's just my stomach adjusting. Whatever the case I feel SICK. Not to mention yesterday I wanted REAL food. Sushi being my main craving right now for some reason.

Protein and fluids, dear lord they haunt me. I cannot for the life of me get all of my fluids in. I finally found a Protein shake, Premier Protein, that has 30 g of protein in each shake and it also doesn't have milk so I am doing better with protein intake. But the fluids are killer. I was prepared for pain, cravings, emotions.... Not the simplest part. To be able to stay hydrated, which now I see is not simple. It's funny to me that I was prepared for tremendous pain, which I never felt post op. At worst it felt like I had worked on my abs for a good 5 hours the day before. And drinking is what is messing me up..... I really do hope that it is my stomach adjusting back to real foods lord knows I love cheese and yogurt.... I guess we will see

Lindsay, I am 9 days post op as well and I feel like you somehow GOT IN MY BRAIN and are writing the exact things I'm thinking! I was so worried about pain and the surgery- but I've felt great. Protein and fluids, though- that has been the difficult part. Dairy especially is hurting my tummy BAD, but that's where all of my "full liquids" seem to be coming from. I've been drinking a lot of kefir, which at least has strong probiotic properties.

The food cravings (for "real food") are crazy, especially when you consider that there's NO WAY we're actually "hungry", with all the recent trauma to our stomachs. Nevertheless, I have dreaming about Pasta mosts nights and when my FH makes his grilled chicken & veggie w/ brown rice dinner every night, it smells like my grandma's homemade lasagna. Which is to say, regular old "healthy" food smells delicious and like a culinary masterpiece. I am constantly telling myself it is in my head and that my "nutrition sludge*" is super good for me and keeping me alive right now.

* Nutrition sludge is the affectionate nickname that I call my daily shake. Every morning I mix a Premier Protein chocolate shake with 6 ounces of Silk light soymilk, 2 servings of Benefiber, one serving of Sunsweet Suprafiber, one dose of Miralax and I sip on that for most of the morning and afternoon. It tastes okay, but it looks like sludge. Also on Day 9 it's getting kind of old.

Edited by ChavaBling

I am one of the lucky ones. Milk doesnt bother me. On day four after surgery I ahve no problems getting in my fluids or Protein. I still have not found the limit to my sleeve. You might try fruit juices and pop cicles without added sugar. They go down easy.

Lactose intolerance is fairly common post-op. For many, it's completely gone in 6 months. Often, you will be able to eat dairy with less lactose, such as hard cheeses and greek yogurt. Soy milk has between 7-9 grams of Protein per cup and I used it to get fluids and Protein early out. I still use instead of milk in my Cereal and lattes.

I was lactose intolerant post-op, and I'm one of the few who still has problems with it 3 years out. It is much lessened, but still there. I can enjoy an occasional ice cream or dairy product now, but not daily. At first, the only dairy I could tolerate was greek yogurt.

Lynda

@@ChavaBling so glad I am not alone! Tonight I made my fiancé some fried chicken which used to be a favorite for us. It seemed so wrong to want a bite which I know would end horribly. My mom keeps telling me give it a few months and you can have it bit I think after all we have been through I don't need to go there. Those are the foods that got me here, I don't ever plan to go back to that point. Luckily I have found some vsg recipes that my fiancé would eat, and we have some recipes I have ideas to make sleeve friendly!! I have had some here and there days with the pain med I trying so hard not to use it unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. Also are you doing any type of exercise?!? I live in the country and my neighbors have mean dogs so I can't go walking here. I am def going to have to go get a gym membership soon!!!

Par fruit juice is part of my morning routine, it seems to also help keep my bowels moving. I have also found that milk of magnesia works wonders as well! So glad you aren't having trouble hitting your Protein and Fluid goals!!!

Girl! I honestly don't think I would have the strength and the kindness to make ANYONE fried chicken right now. That would drive me nuts! Your guy is lucky to have you! The number one thing I'm struggling with now is small sips & not drinking too fast. its hard. ive slimed a few times. i need to use a timer when I eat/drink.

Please fwd me some good vsg recipes !!

Do you have Pinterest? I have a gastric sleeve board with all kinds of helpful tips and yummy looking recipes. My full name is Lindsay Wooten