Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein drinks, powder make me nauseous...

I'm 10 days out from surgery and I am not getting enough Protein. It's making me weak and unable to do hardly anything. I can't seem to stand any protein-infused products. After I drink or eat something with a high amount of protein, I feel extremely nauseous. I thought I was doing better with nausea but today has proven otherwise.

I'm so frustrated.

Should I ask my doc for nausea medicine? Should I keep trying different products? I feel like I've already wasted too much money on different protein products.

I would ask for them.

Maybe it's they whey Protein you can't handle.

Have you thought of trying egg white Protein Powder?

If you haven't tried that yet may I recommend Jay Robb Egg White Protein powder and if you can tolerate Whey Protein powders then the Jay Robb is easy to drink. I use both types.

You can get Jay Robb products at Whole Foods, directly from the company or Amazon. The come in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and one or two other flavors.

May I also recommend Torani sugar free syrups to give your shake a different flavor. They are made with Splenda. They come in a multitude of flavors. You can get them directly from the company or if you have World Market stores in your area they carry it too.

Feel better.

I would ask for them.

Maybe it's they whey Protein you can't handle.

Have you thought of trying egg white Protein powder?

If you haven't tried that yet may I recommend Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder and if you can tolerate Whey Protein powders then the Jay Robb is easy to drink. I use both types.

You can get Jay Robb products at Whole Foods, directly from the company or Amazon. The come in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and one or two other flavors.

May I also recommend Torani sugar free syrups to give your shake a different flavor. They are made with Splenda. They come in a multitude of flavors. You can get them directly from the company or if you have World Market stores in your area they carry it too.

Feel better.

Thank you for the suggestions. The egg protein is my next step. I need to get to the GNC or health food store soon. I am definitely interested in the Torani syrups too.

I am in the exact same situation. All the Protein powders make me gag and I am getting very little Protein in. My doctor told me if I don't get more protein in fast, he will put a feeding tube in. So I purchased the unflavored unjury (I can still taste it) but he told me to mix it with fruit as a smoothie so that is what I am doing. I didn't think every Protein Drink would cause me to gag!

Immediately following surgery and in the first few weeks following it everything tastes 'not right' - for me that lasted about 5-6 weeks. Combined with the mild to severe nausea that many of us feel during that time it's hard to get the Protein we need. It'll get better eventually. One tip someone gave that was helpful to me was this: measure out a full scoop of unflavored protein powder and put it in a bowl. Over the course of your day, sprinkle a little onto/into EVERYTHING you eat or drink. It's such a small amount you can't really taste it and by the end of the day you've gotten an extra 20 plus grams of protein. Good luck! You'll feel better soon! :-)

I am in the same situation. My surgery was Aug 25, in Indianapolis. I just spent 5 days in the hospital. Radiologists read my CT Scans as having bowel blockage but my surgeon said they are wrong. I finally made it home last night but I can't stay off the toilet. CONSTANT yellow Water diarrhea. MISERY. I had nothing in the hospital except ice. For 5 days. I came home weighing 3 pounds more than when I went in. Now I am just so weak and nauseated. I haven't been able to stand the Protein since surgery. It to me is cringeworthy. Feeling so defeated and discouraged. I have spent the morning crying.

I feel everyone I just had my surgery 15 days ago and doing Protein Drinks really make my chest hurt after drinking them. It is where I can only get down maybe 10 to 15 grams of Protein down and not every day in the shakes but one thing s friend of mine told me she did was mashed Beans in the food processor I have found that beans have more amounts of protein than allot of the meats. I was also constipated really bad until I tried this. I can't add anything to the beans but they are a whole lot more tolerable than other things. Had blood work done and had no problems with my Vitamins and minerals or protein since adding this to my diet. I haven't consulted my doctor yet about eating the beans but they don't me sick at all.

I think a lot of people struggle with whey Protein. There are several other forms available including egg based, beef based, and plant based. Some nutrition shops will sell you small samples so that you don't have to buy a huge tub and wind up not being able to tolerate it. Try calling around and see if anyone near you will sell small samples. I was able to get quite a few samples by emailing different companies and asking for them.

So far I have not found any Protein and going broke trying to find one that I can do

I agree and have had a very hard time with Protein and have tried a lot. I have been doing a lot of research on how to get the protein in after surgery and this is what I found works best for me. I went to GNC and purchased Isopure premade Fruit Drinks. There are different flavors a few a lot better than others. They are 20 Fluid ounces and has 40 grams Whey protein, no sugar, no carbs. So you get in your Water and protein. The apple melon and alpine punch are 2 of my favorites. There have been some comments about the after taste but by far way better than the blended protein powders I have used. Also, today I picked up the new slim fast high protein (20mg) low sugar (1 mg) Carmel Latte and they are pretty good too. I would recommend going on you tube and looking these up and there are a lot of videos of tasting the products and figuring out flavors are best.

I've had the same problem. The powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup Protein is the only Protein I can tolerate, and only a little at that. I have been focusing on getting protein by drinking thinned-out split pea Soup (the smooth kind). It tastes delicious and also helps by adding Fiber to my diet (which prevents contipation).