Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yay Approved/But CNA daughter trying to talk me out of it!

I was finally approved May 27th!!! I was and am very excited. Yet still a little apprehensive because my 24 year old daughter who is a CNA is against me getting the sleeve! She says she helps patients that have bariatric surgery and its not good. She is trying to be supportive and offered to help me diet another way, But Ive done all the diets out there numerous times. Everyone else is supportive of my decision, but I guess Im dwelling on her feelings about it because she does work as a CNA in a hospital. Ive done so much research and reading about the sleeve and feel I am well informed and not going into this blindly. Just curious about others thoughts on this subject and their family members feelings towards you getting bariatric surgery? But she is scareing me a bit! :unsure:

I am a nurse and tried talking myself out of it numerous times, but my blood pressure cholestrol and now pre diabetes I must do it so I can live a longer healthily life. Surgery is not a cure but a way to help maintain your weight loss. Everything had risks including staying overweight. I too have lost weight many times. Just couldn't keep it off!

Edited by Monte0828

I'm a RN too and getting my sleeve was one of the best decisions I have made in a long time.

Your daughter works as a CNA at a hospital? I guess I can see where that would cloud ones perspective on bariatric surgeries. People go to the hospital because they're sick and have problems.. she doesn't see the majority of people who DON'T have issues and are successful with it. She only sees the bad cases, which I'd be willing to bet are only a small percentage of the good ones.

If you've done your research, you know that WLS isn't a quick fix. It still requires work and commitment on your part. As with anything, there are potential complications.. but you can look at statistics and make an informed decision as to whether or not surgery is worth the risk to you. I know for me, at least, it definitely was. Like I said.. best decision I've made in a while.

My daughter, who is a CNS , was against my gastric sleeve surgery as well. She was worried about malabsorption of nutrients .. I too her that the gastric sleeve is not the same as having the by pass surgery in relation to malabsorption. Now that I am 5 1/2 months out she sees the change in my energy, my attitude etc. I had to do for myself.

Yes that is true--she does see only the troubled cases, and not the successful cases that out weigh the bad ones. Thank you for that point. I appreciate it!

I'm a RN too and getting my sleeve was one of the best decisions I have made in a long time.

Your daughter works as a CNA at a hospital? I guess I can see where that would cloud ones perspective on bariatric surgeries. People go to the hospital because they're sick and have problems.. she doesn't see the majority of people who DON'T have issues and are successful with it. She only sees the bad cases, which I'd be willing to bet are only a small percentage of the good ones.

If you've done your research, you know that WLS isn't a quick fix. It still requires work and commitment on your part. As with anything, there are potential complications.. but you can look at statistics and make an informed decision as to whether or not surgery is worth the risk to you. I know for me, at least, it definitely was. Like I said.. best decision I've made in a while.

Edited by anitasdream

it is good that she is concerned about you. as others have said, we nurses (and CNAs) tend to be very careful about our own health decisions.

be proud that you raised a daughter who is only looking out for your best interest. maybe take her to lunch and discuss it with her or take her to an appt with your surgeon and allow her to ask questions! knowledge is always the best power and will likely ease her concerns.

good luck!

I could be wrong, but isn't there a forum here on Bariatric Pal that is for family issues like this? Look around; maybe you can find some help/ideas there too.

It sure sounds like you are ready to make this change in your life, and of course you want to respect your daughter's feelings and concerns.

I attend a lot of support groups where the subject often comes up where a spouse or other family member is opposed to the surgery. What most often happens is that post-surgery, when they see how much the quality of life of their loved one has improved, that pre-op opposition/apprehension is resolved.

My wish for you and your daughter is that you both can arrive at a peace together with this, pre-surgery, so that you both feel comfortable and look forward to the joy that WLS will bring into your life.