Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aceves or Dr. Lopez?

Hey all!! Ok so I have been doing research and I have come down to two doctors. Dr. Alberto Aceves and Dr. Alejandro Lopez. I have hit a brick wall and I can't decide between them!!! If you could share your experience if you have had one of these doctors, or information that you have heard I'd greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks in advance :)

I am scheduled for surgery May 24th w Dr Lopez his staff has been great! I have spoke with them over the phone and a lot of email. I chose Lopez because I have a friend that used him in April and said very clean and professional she is doing great and down over 20lbs!! Good Luck!

I had my sleeve done by Dr. Lopez yesterday. No pain, no gas, very pleased with my care.

Dr. Aceves did my lap band in '07. He was awesome! The staff was terrific and the whole experience was better than any surgery I have ever gone through. I have done tons of research and settled on Dr. Lopez for my revision on May 23. I keep hearing nothing but great things about him so I am very comfortable with my decision (albeit, a little nervous as with any surgery)! Good luck to you- I will update post-sleeve on Friday!

Appreciate everyone's input so far thank you!!

I am still researching too.

I am editing this post because originally I answered your question that between the 2 I would pick Aceves....but now I have read susans post about 'think 100 times before going to mexico' and I think Aceves is the doctor she is talking about. Now, after doing a lot more research, I would pick neither of them.

From what I have seen about Lopez he is supposed to be good but I have seen various reports on the forums with complaints about not being able to reach him afterward, and a few with complications. The lack of contact post surgery kinda puts me off him. I also saw a post where he did 9 surgeries in a day. Same with Ariel Ortiz (6,500 and considered fabulous)- excellent surgeon but complaints post surgery about not being able to have contact, or get records easily.

I made a google doc where I am adding information comparing various doctors as I come by it. It is very rough right now because I just started. Empty boxes just mean I haven't looked for that information yet. Also, it is not very well organized yet as I am still figuring out what questions to ask.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jd4oi1BFANNxuZ28L5w-D79fg2Pm6WWeG7pfQVDfW3U/edit

Edited by Travelmego

Travelmego,

Thanks for sharing this document, it's very helpful. I'm looking at the same price level as you - so far it's between Dr Quinones and Dr Garcia for me.

I submitted the eligibility form on Dr Quinones' website (SantaFeMedicalGroup.com) over a week ago but haven't heard from them, which puts me off a bit as I think it would be good customer care to at least acknowledge your interest.

That chart is very rough - I will be filling it out as I learn more information this coming week

Try to submit it again and give Bill a call. He is the coordinator for Dr. Quionones and I really like him. Very open about stuff. I am also leaning between Quinones and Garcia but I have a few issues with both too.

If you see my other thread, not covering the nose with a surgical mask is really bothering me. In Q's video -everyone had their mouths covered but no one had their nose covered.

In Dr. Garcia's, everyone had their mouths covered, but he didn't have his nose covered in one and did in another. Some of his staff did and some didn't (from what I remember off the top of my head ...i will go back and see again and may edit this part of this post).

Furthermore, in one video for Dr. Garcia, the patient was laying completely nude on the table while the OR staff was going about their business. I am like cover her up! (You couldn't see her private parts in the video from the angle but she was nude). So, I kind of have an issue with that. I mean I want to be covered up. I have no idea if this is normal or not but it just seemed so invasive. I am certainly going to request that I am covered and not just totally naked on the surgery table like that. WTH!

Another issue is how do they close the stomach? I will be asking more details later. I know that Dr. Q closes the stomach with the 3 staples then sutures from top to bottom - which is very good. I wish he would add mesh and glue to that. I wonder if one can pay a bit more and get the mesh and glue. At the very least, I want my surgeon to do a complete top to bottom suture oversew on the staple line which Dr. Q does (not just the jointures where the cartridges were loaded). I don't know if Dr. Garcia does.

So, I don't know what to do. Even Dr. Pompa - who has amazing credentials (FACS, MD, PHD, Center of Excellence) who is 6500 has 1 or 2 staff with nose uncovered. They are not right over the patient though but away. I know it sounds OCD but it is an indicator of sterilization for me. I would probably lean toward Pompa but another 2 grand is a lot to come up with in a short time. I really need to do this over the summer for my schedule. Also, in her video I didn't see her do a suture line but I can't imagine that she doesn't.

Dr. Illan I can't find much info on. He has good credentials it seems (is also a trauma/er surgeon) but he worked with Dr. Kelly for like 4 years and Dr. Kelly's reputation was outstanding then went to crap after he had a patient (or 2) die. The details are confusing and murky on that. So, I don't know if Dr. Illan was involved in that surgery or if I should penalize him for association with Dr. Kelly. Also, (from what I recall off the top of my head), he did surgeries at Hospital Jerusalem as well but now is somewhere else. Whats THAT mean? I know I don't want anything to do with Hospital Jerusalem so......

It's all so damn confusing and it is hard to trust anyone around here especially coordinators. You know?

Edited by Travelmego

Naked on the table? Crikey!

Well, that's a point against Garcia in my book. I assumed that in any operation only the part of the body being worked on is exposed, and the rest covered with sterile sheets.

I agree that the nose covering is an issue too. There doesn't seem to be a single surgeon who ticks every box, at least not in my price range.

If I had more money I think I might go with Dr Alvarez, because he sleeved his own mother and she seemed very happy about it. There's a thread on YouTube all about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvHS3YbRRUo

One thing I like about Dr Quinones is that his website gives you the cost of the procedure. Not that it costs "from" this much, or 'contact us first then we'll tell you how much', but the actual cost, so you know where you stand.

Thanks, I'll try contacting Santa Fe and/or Bill again.

Edited by SwanRose

Let me clarify - the Dr. Garcia patient was naked on the table for just a few minutes while they were prepping for the surgery and then the nurse came and put the disinfectant stuff all over her stomach. However, for several minutes she was just lying there naked while people were doing things around the room. No one was paying attention but still. During the surgery itself, she was draped.

I will put links to the various videos up. You said it exactly right when it seems no one is ticking all the boxes in the price range we are looking at.

I am thinking of saving up enough to go to Pompa. Even pompa had 2 employees with noses uncovered but they were in the distance - not quite as bad. How much is Alvarez again?

I'm sure I've seen the sum of $8900 associated with Dr Alvarez, but can't remember where I've seen it. His website is http://www.endobariatric.com and it has some good information and a very thorough FAQ section, but no prices that I've found.

I have heard amazing things about Dr Aceves as well as Dr Alvarez both have a $8000 price tag.. Im seriously considering dr Aceves after watching a youtube video by lessofsarah where they talk openly about their experience and the cleanliness of the hospital. Im hesitant of going to Tijuana even though it is much cheaper.

I have heard amazing things about Dr Aceves as well as Dr Alvarez both have a $8000 price tag.. Im seriously considering dr Aceves after watching a youtube video by lessofsarah where they talk openly about their experience and the cleanliness of the hospital. Im hesitant of going to Tijuana even though it is much cheaper.

Dr A. Lopez did my sleeve on May 19th, and he also repaired my hiatal hernia. There were 4 others in my group that were sleeved that day, and the nurse told me he did a total of 9 sleeves that day (I unfortunately was number 9; didn't get to the OR until after 10PM). Other than having to wait the entire day, I am happy with my decision, Dr. Lopez, and the care I received. I keep in touch daily with the other 4 people I got to know who were sleeved the same day by the same doctor, and none of us have had any complications. I had no issues going to Tijuana, and may return to the same hospital next year for a breast lift with 2 other women in my group. I'm down 16 pounds and feeling great, belly is still a bit tender, but I'm getting my Protein and fluids in. Best of luck with your decision.

Hope you found the surgeon that clicks for you!

Edited by Travelmego