Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was told to stop drinking coffee. This is the one thing I don't understand.

I only drink one in the morning, so what's the harm?

Can anyone tell me why?

Caffeine or dehydration. Depending on whether or not you get the sleeve or RNY, you may have an issue with Calcium absorption because caffeine inhibits that. It can increase gastric acid with potential reflux & diarrhea.

I have one cup a day. Then, drink a bottle of Water. After the water, I wait 15-30 min. and eat Breakfast. After breakfast, I take my Vitamins. (Chewables). I also take Calcium after dinner as well. All has been good for me. No problems with the coffee. They say it is an appetite enhancer as well. Your Dr is probably just eliminating anything that is a risk for you right now. I don't have any problems with my one cup a morning. :)

Also the acid in the coffee is hard on your stomach.

I was required to be caffeine free at the time of my surgery. My doctor OK'd real coffee at week 12, but only 1-2 cups of real coffee per day.

My doctor OK'd real coffee at week 12, but only 1-2 cups of real coffee per day.

That's something to look forward to!!

coffee can also irritate the stomach and cause ulcers.

I was told to stop coffee and Decaf until 12 weeks after surgery. Too acidic, or so I was told. I was a bad little WLS patient and waited as long as I possibly could bear, but it wasn't 12 whole weeks. Couldn't deal without it in the dead of winter!!! I am sipping my iced coffee right now! :)

I really didn't believe I could manage without coffee -- it has beeb my morning, afternoon and evening indulgence. But almost 4 weeks post-op, I have tried to drink it, doesn't make me sick but it just tastes so awful. I have lost all interest but I missed the warm morning cup of something. I have found herbal &/or mint tea fits the bill. Just funny how your tastes change post-op. And aside from the initial withdrawl headache, it's been much easier than I anticipated.

Thanks for all the feed back. Now I understand the no coffee thing.

I had absolutely no ban of coffee at all. In fact, I was offered a cup of real coffee after my leak test the day after surgery in the hospital. Sounded gross at the time (not to mention I'm a coffee snob and hosiptal coffee doesn't meet my standards). I woke up about a month after surgery and said "today is the day". I've been drinking real coffee ever since. Either 2 cups of my own (grind my own Beans every am) with a splash of sf Creamer or sf coffee Syrup and milk, or 1 cup of a good (read: NOT STarbucks. Ick) coffee house coffee with Splenda and milk. Always add an extra shot of espresso. Like to taste my coffee.So far nothing bad has happened to me.

My sleeve has not collapsed under the "pressure" of something "bad". My nurse actually told us that they were not limiting caffeine cuz u hafta have "something" in ur life to look forward to.

Not sure I would had wls if they told me I couldn't have real coffee forever. I might've but I wouldn't have been happy bout it!

Good luck! Follow ur own drs guidelines. Just telling u what mine expects...

Edited by marfar7

That's some good news on the coffee thing.

Marfar7 we share an appreciation for finer things. No Keurig here either, I grind a bit in the am for my little taste. Btw, when I do have to go to Starbucks with others, I get a Decaf. That way they make it fresh every time.

Not that that equals what I have, but I use Whole Foods coffees. Well Fresh Market too.

When I have the time I go for my French Press....2/3 cup of coffee made w/ gourmet Beans, 1/3 cup of warmed 1% milk, 1 splenda and touch of Agave...Now that is heaven!

I may have to make one this afternoon....all this coffee talk is making me thirsty! LOL

We were told no coffee for three months, then Decaf for another three months. After six months caffeinated is okay but only if you're getting all your fluids, and only one or two per day. They used to restrict caffeinated coffee indefinitely but caffeinated coffee has been proven to work wonders on Constipation, which is a problem RNYers are very familiar with! I have not had been constipated since I began using Chike High Protein Coffee (it contains two shots of real expresso). :-)

wow coffee standards are all over the place. I guess this is something to write down to ask my surgeon if and when I get one!