Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just saw my doctor and was told it's the caffeine and sugar that is not neededz

coffee or no coffee is and has been controversial with Dr.'s and health care professionals for years....bariatric surgeons are no different and have their opinions also....so even if you did not have surgery, it would still be a topic in the medical field.

The same can be said for red meat...I know Dr.'s who say it should be given up entirely, others say only once a week, and then some have no opinion at all....

I for one, have no desire to give up my coffee.....I have 2-3 up per day....my first cup after surgery was 12 hours after.

I drink one cup per day every morning with 2 splenda and a 1/2 cup 2% milk. Have not had any bad effects. Dr. just wants to make sure I'm not having any more drinks with calories in them. Which I am not.

They worry about dehydration from coffee especially right after surgery as it is a diuretic. You have a hard time getting in your fluids right after surgery and they want you to be well hydrated. It is also a appetite enhancer and often a trigger by itself for many folks to eat.

I am on the six month program and am slowly weaning myself off caffeinated coffee to hopefully avoid the headache from giving it up as I get Migraines and/or bad headaches few times a month already ( I am a coffee snob too and drink Gevalia I have been for 25 years as I used to have it delivered). I don't drink soda at all so no issue giving up caffeine that way :)

They worry about dehydration from coffee especially right after surgery as it is a diuretic. You have a hard time getting in your fluids right after surgery and they want you to be well hydrated. It is also a appetite enhancer and often a trigger by itself for many folks to eat. <br><br> It is acidic which they want to avoid for your newly healing stomach as well. I am on the six month program and am slowly weaning myself off caffeinated coffee to hopefully avoid the headache from giving it up as I get Migraines and/or bad headaches few times a month already ( I am a coffee snob too and drink Gevalia I have been for 25 years as I used to have it delivered). I don't drink soda at all so no issue giving up caffeine that way :)

I think I'd cry like a baby if my surgeon tells me I can't have coffee anymore!

I have coffee every morning and I'm considering adding a cup around dinner time. By the time I'm home from work I'm exhausted.

I used to drink soda a lot so that kept me going. Well now I am yawning by five no matter what I eat, how much sleep I get, or how much Water I drink.

I feel like I'm useless to my family in the evenings.

I have coffee every morning and I'm considering adding a cup around dinner time. By the time I'm home from work I'm exhausted.

I used to drink soda a lot so that kept me going. Well now I am yawning by five no matter what I eat, how much sleep I get, or how much Water I drink.

I feel like I'm useless to my family in the evenings.

Coffe is a great appitite supressent. I drink lots, but have to drink a cup of Water for every cup of coffee.< /p>

I love my one small cup made at home every morning. I do have to fight the urge to get those .99 cent dunkin donut sugar loaded ice coffee's in the afternoon. I usually do that by picking up Starbucks iced green tea.

Oh my word - My pre op diet plan states I can have coffee but not de caff. I am a coffee monster and it helps me with the calories a day diet I am on.

Guess I'll have to wait what my nutritionist says next Wednesday which is one week before op #excited

My surgeon initially said no to the coffee too, I'm 40, and have been drinking coffee since I was 2, parents gave me my morning cup in my bottle! And mine was percolated back then, and not for the faint of heart. My pediatrician prescribed coffee to help my Migraines and assist with the Constipation I have suffered from all my life. Going coffee free for me would mean endless migraines from now on. Parents tried to wean me off it for a couple of years at a doctor's instance, my migraines were so bad I couldn't go to school often until coffee was allowed again. The only meds that help the migraines are flexeril and mobic, I have to be swapped to celebrex preop, never taken it before. Doc was more worried about me overeating @ Breakfast until I gave him my then current habits, my morning coffee, then Breakfast, in that order, otherwise I'm prone to a Migraine.< /p>