Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies, facial hair after WLS.... WTH, why is it worse? And does it get better?

I also agree about the vits and Omega 3. There is a correlation between low thyroid and Vitamin deficiency - I often have those checked at the same time as thyroid levels. The same may be true for over active thyroid as well.

I haven't had surgery yet but have been undergoing hair electrolysis for the last year. It is painful, not going to lie, but they do have numbing spray to help and trust me it does. Tell you what...it has been worth every, single, penny. Can't tell you how much more confidence I have. So much less hair...says only a few more months and I won't need it anymore. If you can...check it out!

*sigh* And here I was hoping my daily plucking ritual would be a thing of the past. Oh well...

sigh.. i was the perfect candidate for electrolysis, light skin, dark hair. went through all 6 rounds, hair stayed minimal for about 1/2 year.. MAYBE a full year. now, my

'sideburns' which is what i got taken care of, are just as full and dark as they were before.

i'm taking Biotin religiously, and have noticed that if i shave my legs in the morning, by night time they are already pretty stubble-y. i have resorted to waxing my upper lip/chin area. will probably start with the sideburns too. and i bought some twinkle razors off Amazon that are suppose to be good for peach fuzz, which i have all over my face, as well.

i've always been a hairy girl, which means i've always gotten a lot of compliments on my thick dark hair, but i'm constantly shaving or waxing :(

Ooooo, I'm searching for the twinkle tweezers now. The Biotin is making my facial hair (even the fine hair) grow like crazy!

Oh my gosh! Thank you for this post and for the responses. I have struggled with unwanted hair in places since puberty too and it is due to my PCOS. That is why I am not taking Biotin and am losing my hair. I have spent way too many years working on removing hair to take something that will promote it. My ob/gyn said the Hair growth will not stop after surgery. I did not think to ask if it would get worse! Mine hasn't but I just found the best hair removal product I have ever used-it is a brush on facial hair removal product from Sally Hansen. You brush it on and 8 minutes later your hair is gone. I am amazed at how well it works. Really amazed. It is the greatest thing I have ever tried so ladies go get some and you will love it. I bought it at Walmart. I have plucked for years and years and now my skin on my neck is sagging and this product does not pull the skin any so I think it is going help my neck in more ways then one!

Edited by Sparklingbeauty53

I had mustache hair that I was ignoring because it was blonde and I struggle so with hair in unwanted areas I know once you start plucking or waxing or anything it opens a can of worms so to speak. Well finally I realized I had to do something about it and this product was the answer! I haven't even had to reapply and it has been 2 weeks.

If you have PCOS, you would have excess facial hair.

Oh my gosh! Thank you for this post and for the responses. I have struggled with unwanted hair in places since puberty too and it is due to my PCOS. That is why I am not taking Biotin and am losing my hair. I have spent way too many years working on removing hair to take something that will promote it. My ob/gyn said the Hair growth will not stop after surgery. I did not think to ask if it would get worse! Mine hasn't but I just found the best hair removal product I have ever used-it is a brush on facial hair removal product from Sally Hansen. You brush it on and 8 minutes later your hair is gone. I am amazed at how well it works. Really amazed. It is the greatest thing I have ever tried so ladies go get some and you will love it. I bought it at Walmart. I have plucked for years and years and now my skin on my neck is sagging and this product does not pull the skin any so I think it is going help my neck in more ways then one!

Can you use it under arms? Ty

It's my understanding that Biotin only helps emerging hair as it grows in to be healthier, not actually cause it to grow or keep it from falling out. I have taken Biotin religiously since three months pre op and it didn't prevent the significant Hair loss I experienced from 4-9 months post op. If you Google hair loss + weight loss surgery you get a pretty good explanation of why we lose some of our hair following surgery. It's a combination of the physical stress of surgery combined with initial rapid weight loss. It simply and clearly explains the science of hair growth/loss and why we see hair loss in a specific time frame following stress. Hair loss can be caused by ANY physical or emotional stress.

My hair is beginning to fill in again though it will probably not be obvious to anyone but myself until year's end. An added bonus for me is my leg hair has not grown in many months. I shaved last fall and my legs are still completely hairless, as are my underarms. That has been enough of a treat to offset the disappointment of the thinner hair on my head. :-)

I have had a light mustache since 9! I had to shave often and NO i didnt have ingrown hair or hair bumps...once I got 20 I started getting lip wax. I have been taking Biotin since 2005 and my mustache has not gotten any thicker nor have I grown hair any other places that I didnt have before. I currently get my upper lip hair threaded. Funny I have NEVER shaved my legs cause hair doesnt grow on my legs!! Actually since getting threaded I only get my lip done once a month so the Biotin didnt effect that hair...i was banded in 2005 started taking Biotin no Hair loss no thinning, i was sleeved in 2014 and still no hair loss or thinning!

I have had a light mustache since 9! I had to shave often and NO i didnt have ingrown hair or hair bumps...once I got 20 I started getting lip wax. I have been taking Biotin since 2005 and my mustache has not gotten any thicker nor have I grown hair any other places that I didnt have before. I currently get my upper lip hair threaded. Funny I have NEVER shaved my legs cause hair doesnt grow on my legs!! Actually since getting threaded I only get my lip done once a month so the Biotin didnt effect that hair...i was banded in 2005 started taking Biotin no Hair loss no thinning, i was sleeved in 2014 and still no hair loss or thinning!

Hi when were you sleeved? I'm 9 weeks post op and had hair loss at the beginning and no more I've been on biotin months before my sleeve and I also put these drops on my scalp to prevent hair loss.

Hi when were you sleeved? I'm 9 weeks post op and had hair loss at the beginning and no more I've been on biotin months before my sleeve and I also put these drops on my scalp to prevent hair loss.

@ajsI was revision band to sleeve 4/9/2014 and banded 9/2005