Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kids meal and wine

Went to Red Lobster tonight with my fiancé. I ordered the kids meal of broiled flounder with green Beans. It was still a large portion I was surprised. I also ordered a glass of Chardonnay. My wine was more calories and was more expensive than my meal ($5.99 vs. $5.50).

Also, I must say that I feel silly ordering alcohol and a kids meal. Do you order kids meals when you go out?

It was just a funny observation to me and I wanted to share. $5.50 for a meal at Red Lobster with leftovers is awesome!

We rarely eat out anyway because my significant other is Mediterranean and an awesome chef of that cuisine. But we have already discussed that when I reach goal, we will go to Red Lobster to Celebrate. I think I will do what you did...a kid's meal, a cheddar bay biscuit, and a glass of wine. It will be my first liquor in eight years, and my first bread in over two years. Oh boy! Thanks for a good idea, I will take about 3/4 of it home.

I usually order a regular meal and just take home the extra..me or hubby usually enjoy it then.

Or, I will order an appetizer and just have it brought out of the main course.

I've never ordered off the kids menu…but its a good thought!

Its nice to go out and eat like a "normal" person….at least for me! And we don't eat out often…so I get what I want and enjoy it without guilt or a second thought!

Enjoy!

Edited by chasingadream

Ordering off the kid's menu is a great idea, but most placed I have been say you must be a kid and put an age limit on it. Has anyone ever told the restaurant that they had bariatric surgery and needed to order the smaller portion?

I usually don't get any push back when I order off the kids meal. My surgeons office did give me a key chain saying I've had surgery and can eat in limited portions, but I haven't had to use it. I try to order with confidence as if I've done it before at a particular place so they won't question me.

Chickfila is one of the other places that I order from the kid menu often.

I like to order regular meals to have leftovers for work lunches or split a meal with my fiancé. I really don't like leftover fish. Tonight, originally we were going to split a combo plate but I really wanted grilled fish.

Most places around here only have fried options for appetizers or just are just as big/more calories than some of the entree options.

I haven't done the kid's meals either, but it is good choice...but most of the time when I look at the kids meals they seem like stuff I don't want to be eating in the first place...grilled cheese, mac n cheese etc. LOL...but its a good idea and if I see something I want I will give myself that option. I like alot of folks like the larger portions, for I usually can eat off of something for three meals. so I order and ask them right away to bring me a to go box. I too have a card saying I've had surgery and if need too will use it someday...but until then I am going to try to be aware of the sizes of my meal.

This week is a bit of a challenge to me, I start a new job next week and have been asked out by office folks here to lunch-one is at a mexician restaurant (my fav) and the other is a place that's called the Market City Cafe (sandwiches and Pasta and salads). the problem is I get my 3rd fill this week as well and weighed in...so I know that salads are in my view on the menu-because this is the time I wish they did have kids menu's but neither place does. I want to have a good time, but I don't want to be way over on my calories either. so here is thinking SMALL PORTIONS...SMALL PORTIONS...SMALL PORTIONS...lol.

Just loved your post kimk1999, haven't had wine in forever and since I have to go back to work don't think that's going to happen either day...have an awesome day!!! thanks for the :D

The healthy kids meal and a glass of wine is a great idea -- and isn't it amazing how large those portions are? No wonder our population is getting heavier when kids are trained for large portions from the get-go. We have a teenager so if we eat out I am assured of having some one right there to eat whatever I don't want!

@@Mikee57 good luck with your first week on the new job! At a Mexican place I sometimes get a side order of black Beans and then I have just a few chips with guacamole. Yum! I have to stay away from cheese in a setting where I can keep nibbling. So nachos, etc. are just too tempting for me. At a sandwich kind of place I usually find a nice little bowl of chili or a Soup of some kind. Have fun!

I don't order kids meals, because they usually are not anything I would eat. Many restaurants now have 1/2 meals. They're usually okay for me to eat. I don't usually order drinks with my meals. I stick to Water with lime(if available) or lemon.

My sister and I had RNY surgery a year apart. When we dine together we order one meal and split it or we just order a small appetizer.

Mikee57 - congrats on the new job! are you able to call the restaurant a head of time to work out something? I had actually emailed Chipotle a while back (right after surgery) to see what kind of compromise we could have. The kids meal was a great portion but limited in options. They suggested an off the menu option - the single taco. I can still get whatever toppings I want and still excellent small portion. Maybe this Mexican restaurant will have a small portion. I also try to avoid the shell. I love Mexican food! Maybe order a cup of Soup?

I can't do sandwiches. When we go out for lunch to Panera I just order a cup of Soup.< /p>

I agree that at most places the kids meals are junk food too. I was so happy when I found out they had a kids portion of broiled fish. Now if it was grilled I would have been in heaven!!

My favorite meal to order in a Mexican restaurant is carne asada or salmon. At our favorite place it comes with a side salad, refried or black Beans, salsa, guacamole, tortillas. Plenty for at least 2 meals, sometimes 3.

Went to Red Lobster tonight with my fiancé. I ordered the kids meal of broiled founder with green Beans. It was still a large portion I was surprised. I also ordered a glass of Chardonnay. My wine was more calories and was more expensive than my meal ($5.99 vs. $5.50).

Also, I must say that I feel silly ordering alcohol and a kids meal. Do you order kids meals when you go out?

It was just a funny observation to me and I wanted to share. $5.50 for a meal at Red Lobster with leftovers is awesome!

I love Red Lobster, I had my food funeral there, twice. Lol I've never left spending less than 35.00 on myself, I would love to say that I actually went there and spent less than 10.00 on a meal, seams like somthing out of this world, that would go along with the other things that I greatly look forward to after being sleeved. Congrats on your success and much more to come.

well I got the chicken taco salad without the shell...this restaurant didn't do well on the chicken part mostly cheese, sour cream, guacamole and lettuce...so merely ate what chicken there was and the lettuce...it was enough...thanks everyone for the ideas!!! now I need to make it through Wednesday and I'll be okay!!! thanks again!!!

If heaven has a restaurant, its going to be Red Lobster for me and im having endless coconut shrimp with mango dipping sauce, their little biscuits, and the occasional strawberry margarita.................mmmmmmmmmmmmm. drool.................