Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor in Pittsburgh, PA?

Hiya!

I'm new and have been researching gastric banding for a while now. Decided to get it done, and my PCP doesn't have any recommendations at all. Does anyone have any experience with any surgeons for this procedure in Pittsburgh, PA?

Thanks!

Hi Sunmaid-

I'm from Pgh also! I haven't had the surgery yet but have a consultation with Dr. Anita Courcoulas in a few weeks. She is in a practice at UPMC and they operate at Magee and Shadyside. I've asked several people who had the surgery with her and heard all positive comments about Dr. C. I'll find out for myself pretty soon!

Best of luck and keep in touch~

:biggrin1:

Sandy

Cool! I actually came across her name while looking for surgeons just a few minutes ago. She seems to have a bunch of good reviews. There was one for a doctor at AGH, but he got good reviews, while his staff got bad ones.

I noticed on the Magee website that they talk about being in surgery for 1-4 hours, as well as admitted for a couple days and having a catheter overnight, etc., which seems more like gastric bypass than the lap band.

If you think of it, can you post what the real deal is? From what I gather, the band is just supposed to be 30-45m surgery and out-patient or overnight. I might give them a call and ask, but don't know if they'll give that kind of info out over the phone.

Thanks and good luck!

Hi Sunmaid-

I haven't had my consultation yet, so I'm not sure of the answers. I should know after April 30th. I thought Lap Band surgery took apx 1 hr. I HOPE we don't need a catheter! I believe it's a 1 night stay in the hosp.

How did you get the reviews of surgeons? I couldn't find that!!

Keep in touch and best of luck with your search to find a doctor!

Sandy;)

Hiya!

I got the reviews/testimonials from this website:

http://obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeons+in+pennsylvania+performing+Lap+Band.html

I was able to search for surgeons in the state, then then broke it down by city. They only had 2 listed for Pittsburgh, which there has to be more than that given all the hospitals we have around here.

Saw my new PCP on Monday, and she's pretty against the surgery. Not just lap-band, but all. Considering how skinny she is, I can't same I'm all that surprised though. She has me trying "life-style" changes first before she's willing to discuss it. Since most of it is stuff I'll have to do once banded anyway (smaller portions, more Water, exercise, etc.) I might as well. Hope this counts towards the 6 month doc supervised diet though, sheesh!

Let me know how it goes!

Cool! I actually came across her name while looking for surgeons just a few minutes ago. She seems to have a bunch of good reviews. There was one for a doctor at AGH, but he got good reviews, while his staff got bad ones.

I noticed on the Magee website that they talk about being in surgery for 1-4 hours, as well as admitted for a couple days and having a catheter overnight, etc., which seems more like gastric bypass than the lap band.

If you think of it, can you post what the real deal is? From what I gather, the band is just supposed to be 30-45m surgery and out-patient or overnight. I might give them a call and ask, but don't know if they'll give that kind of info out over the phone.

Thanks and good luck!

Dr. Courcoulas did my lap band on March 22 and I was in Magee a little over 24 hours with no problems at all. The whole procedure did indeed take about 45 minutes. I did have a catheter, but it was taken out the next day once the upper GI came back normal. They also called me a couple of days later to see how I was doing and was back at the office for a post-op checkup within a couple of weeks. I also healed very quickly and never got sick at all.

I am scheduled to go back for a fill at her office on May 7.

I'm having my band placed by Dr. Colella at AGH--my consultation with him was really good and I really liked him! another member here, Leeann, had hers done by him and she's done nothing but rave about him to me!!! My friend at UPMC had hers done by Dr. Courcoulas and she said she's wonderful, too! Good Luck!

Amy

I have 2 friends who had bypass at West Penn, no problems. Great, structured aftercare. was recomended to see Dr. Ramanathan at Mgee by another friend. Went to class at AGH, very impressed with Dr. Colella and Dr. Uchal, they work as a team and are only hospital in area handling high risk patients. I have not had surgery but am considering lap-band. Anyone doing bypass check out Dr. Pupkovich at Barix Clinic in Langhorne Pa. very very very qualified. It would be worth the drive for a serious operation like bypass. I dont claim to know alot about either procedure but i have been reading this and alot of sites. All i can tell you is to do alot of research and pick a dr. who has alot of experience with lap band. The more experienced the dr. the less chance of problems. Dr. Colella did Fred Honsberger"s bypass.

Edited by loserbob
to add info.

I was banded by Dr. Carol McCloskey at Magee women's hospital. All of the doctors in Magee's group seem to be good. Dr. McCloskey was fantastic and I'm so glad I went to Magee. They specialize in WLS so they have it down to a science. I was in the hospital overnight.....pain meds were offered to control the pain. the staff was very reposive. I was on a wing of all wls patients. Pre surgery....one day of liquids....post surgery.....2weeks liquids...2weeks mushie....then regular food.....also when i left the hospital I had appointments for fills for the next year.....Like i said they have it together.....if you have any questions please email me.....susan

I was banded 4/24/2008 by Dr. Quinlin at St. Margaret. They have been great and offer a great program of after care. I have heard nothing of good things about Dr. Quinlin and Pittsburgh Bariatrics.