Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Janine,

I saw Gas-X strips at Krogers, Walmart, and Target. I checked the website and they do not offer a liquid Gas-X. Other companies make liquid simethicone drops for infants, but you would probably have to swig half the bottle! The strips are only half the strength of the extra-strength chewable Gas-X and they don't dissolve so well if your mouth is dry.

There IS liquid Gas X. I swear it! Lol. I was working in my hospitals GI lab a few weeks ago and I know I saw some. Am I crazy? Maybe I'll run down there tomorrow and try to snag me some. Lol!

Today I left the house to run some errands with my husband. We were waiting at a light with one car in front of us. When the light turned green the car in front of us didn't move. I waited about 30 seconds and finally honked to get the woman to wake up and move! She started moving VERY slowly, obviously to annoy me. So I drove around her and continued on my way to the gas station down the street. I pulled in and was filling the tank when she drove up and yelled out the window,

"WHAT THE F*CK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!"

I should have ignored her. But of course, I responded by calmly asking,

"What the f*ck is wrong with YOU?".

She made the nastiest face I have ever seen and said:

"GO TO HELL, YOU FAT F*CK!" and sped off.

No one has mocked my weight since I was in middle school. When I got back in the car, I actually started crying I was so upset. How could someone be so mean and intentionally hurtful? Over having the horn honked at them because they weren't paying attention while driving?!?!? Obviously the woman was crazy, but what's the point of following me to the gas station so you can tell me that I'm fat?

It's unfortunate that she drove off too quickly to hear my reply:

"I am fat now, but I'm going to be thin soon. You, however, will ALWAYS be a hateful c*nt"

OMG. I am SOoooo sorry that happened!! Obesity is the last ACCEPTABLE prejudice. If you look around everything always has to be politically correct. We can't make fun of whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, Jews, Christians, handicap, etc... But FAT is everywhere. The movie Norbid (or what ever its called, with Eddie Murphy.) And he was in the Nutty Professor movies. There was Shallow Hal. Actually MOST movies make fun of fat people at some point. The new movie 'Knocked Up' - Yep. The guy is slightly overweight, not FAT at all, and in one scene the girls sister says something like "Look at how fat he is. He can't even get out of the kids playhouse." WTF? If he was black or handicapped there wouldn't have been a joke tehre at all!

Also, if you've ever seen the Deuce Bigalo movies (which I think are funny) there is a large woman in that movie that does nothing but eat eat eat, and you hear people thoughout scenes that she is in yell out something like "Thats a HUGE B*TCH!" ... One night a few years ago I was walking from my car into Wal-Mart and a car of young men (sound 20-something years old) drives by and yells that out to me! I was mortified!!!

Lol. I'm finally getting caught up wioth everyone after being gone last week. Sorry for the multiple posts tonight!

Good luck to everyone getting banded tomorrow!

On that note... this is funny! At some point during surgery or recovery stickers appeared on my bandages (fish, stars, hearts)... I was well decorated! My coworkers also had balloons delivered to my room that read, "get well soon, Dad" and "Twins are Twice as Nice." When they delievered them to my room, all the nurses had on the "I'm the big brother" or "I'm the big sister" tshirts that 6 year olds are supposed to wear!! It was hilarious!!! They are soooo goofy... but it made me feel loved and very special! :myscared:

Hotty....that is too cool! We have that feeling about you, too! You are something else, Shoogah! Seriously, sounds like you work in a really great hospital!!!! I'm glad you get to have a nice extended time at home before you go back at it, too! I know you guys work your tooshies off!!!!!

Hey Suzzie I too am not telling anyone at work but had to tell family so I would have a ride home from the hospital-- what are your plans there.. Have you told someone who is going to help with that? You'e probably married so that is a silly question. I am single so always think everyone else is too/ Just wondering :myscared:

I think it just hit me tonight that I am really having the surgery in

a little over 2 days. Not sure what time yet, but hope it is one of

the earlier ones. I am starting to get pretty nervous.

I was terrible about eating this weekend. It seems like I have no

will power when hubby is around and eating normal.

I had lost 10 lbs. but am scared to get on the scale in the morning.

It has helped to read everyone else's experience. I haven't written, but have been reading for quite some time.

HOpe all goes well for everyone tomorrow. Will be waiting to hear

from everyone.

Good luck.

Welcome Joeygirl....you're in good company on the 6th, and it's just around the corner!!!!! Thanks for poppin' in! We're all in this together!!!!:clap2:

---Toni

I'm glad to hear everyone has come out of surgery ok.

Wow, there's lots of us for the 6th. My nerves are jittery and my stomach is growling....2 weeks of liquids is AAWWWW!

MM: I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you're having, hopefully your doctor and offer some kind of remedy that will prevent future patients having to go through that.

Yes good luck HuntersMom and everyone else tomorrow.

Thanks for the words Becky. Yes, we are being banded on the same day, cool no?

So glad you're back MM!

I told my ex-boss about the banding today. He's filling in while my boss is away. It's funny because we're not exactly close but I was whining about my pre-op diet and he told me that his sister (whom I have met) is going in for gastric banding tomorrow. I figured it was the perfect time to tell. He swore he wouldn't tell anyone and he's only going to be around a few weeks anyway. Still, it felt good to get it off my chest. I don't like lying to colleagues but medical stuff is private, so that's OK.

I hope everyone else is hanging in there with appointments and diets. I only have one more day of the pre-op thank goodness! My post-op diet is kinder than some of yours in regards to the types of liquids, so I'll remember than before complaining.

Well I am off to drop kids off at daycare and then off to the hospital. I was really nervous until I started watching TLC last night. I do not want to go that route. It made me think what I was doing was right. When I am home I will post again on how it went.

3 more days!! I can't beleive it. I will call my nurse to follow up on my galbladder, she is so positive!

Ree, you are in a large pack for Wednesday, WOW, must be a big surgery day for many surgeons. I know you are getting anxious like me. Hang in there.

Heather, that is so cool about the support from your friends at work! I know that made you feel really good. Reading most of our posts, it is interesting who told who. I am the Director of my office, so I did not want to tell to many people. I am an odd manager, very open door, probably to much. I did tell may assistant, anothe social worker and a supervisor who had gastric bypass with the same surgical group. On Friday my assistant informed me she slipped to another supervisor about getting me somehthing and when she realized she did not know she paniced. I told her it was ok, but NO GIFT. My staff are very good to me, and they spent to much on me for my Birthday just in March, I would feel guilt! If they are thinking of me, that is cool.

Suz, that seems like quick turn to work, however I read someone went shopping 2 days after! So, it depends on you and your work as Heather stated. I am thinking I will go back on Monday, 4 days after. But I took off until Wednesday if I need it.

Joey, welcome and good luck!

Talk to you all later, off to work!

Hey Suzzie I too am not telling anyone at work but had to tell family so I would have a ride home from the hospital-- what are your plans there.. Have you told someone who is going to help with that? You'e probably married so that is a silly question. I am single so always think everyone else is too/ Just wondering :myscared:

Nope, I'm single. My 2 best friends know. One of them lives wayyy down in TX though, so that does me no good. Lol! My friend that lives here, she was going to be my driver, but now she is starting a new job and doesn't know if she'll be able to get the day off. She was so nice about it though and talked to her husband and HE will be driving me, and sitting around all day waiting for me to be done and then take me home. I have the best friends!

As for going back to work so soon... I have to work every other weekend. I work on an Oncology ward, so we don't usually have alot of heavy care patients. And I have a bad back (chronic since I was about 18 years old) so I was thinking if any lifting should come up for a few days (weeks?) I will complain about my back and get someone to do it for me. I don't like lying, but I don't want anyone to know about the band. I guess I'm fearful of failure and not actually losing weight with it? I don't want people looking at me everyday trying to figure out if I've gotten skinnier yet.

I know. I'm crazy.

OK MM, not sure what happened but to finish what I was saying --

Where in Delaware did you live. I'm on the out skirts of Wilmington.

Hey Crabby! I lived in Stanton, right near Delaware Park. I still miss it...well, I should say, I still miss all of my dear friends and family.

Lucy: I read your post and it brought back a flood of memories! That was a VERY hurtful thing for that woman to say. People just KNOW they can sting us about our fat, so they ignorantly go for our "weak" spot when they're offended. I'll never understand WHY people that MAKE the mistake in driving get so offended when politely corrected!!! Everyone feels invinsible in their little tin tank I guess!

So....who's on the table today??? I forgot to check the calendar...will come back to that in a few...

Feeling WAY better today! Still sore, but got some much needed rest and the Protein Shakes are going down easier. My family was SO good to me. Hubby slept in a chair, by my bedside, BOTH nights! My 16 year old and her friend took care of my 5 & 7 year old all weekend and cleaned the house too! What sweeties. My 5 year old has been doting over me too, bringing me Water and fluffing pillows and such. I am blessed with such a nice family!

It's HARD to keep up with this thread...we're growing so fast!!! I'm so excited for us!!! Maybe next June, we can have a meet & greet somewhere...ah there I go, getting all ambitious!!!! hehehehe

Have a great day everyone!

tanderson, LisaMack, huntersmom, & serena: Best Wishes today!!! Post soon and let us know how you're doing!!!!

Nina S & Kimmum: Tomorrow is the BIG DAY!!! Are you excited? Nervous? You'll both do great!!!!

Jue 6th is a BIG day for our June crew! So exciting!!!!

I don't like lying, but I don't want anyone to know about the band. I guess I'm fearful of failure and not actually losing weight with it? I don't want people looking at me everyday trying to figure out if I've gotten skinnier yet.

I know. I'm crazy.

I can TOTALLY relate to this completely, 110% Suzzzie! I just wonder and hope I can keep my trap shut. Just yesterday I sent my husband and girls to a birthday party and all my friends were grilling him, "Toni's under the weather, huh, what EXACTLY is wrong?" Uggggggggh. Luckily I'm still on an antibiotic for an inner ear infection, so I can milk that excuse!!!!