Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Hi, everyone! Yeah, Suzzzie and I were blessed with snow, snow, snow and most melted the same day. I live on the north side, so I got about 5 inches or so.

Captain Dan: I agree with everyone here...your pictures look amazing! lunch is a great way to break the ice and see how things go. Good luck and have fun!!!

Hubby and I are now doing a Biggest Loser type challenge with weigh-ins on Sunday mornings. Week before last his doc told him he was borderline diabetic and would be diabetic fully if he kept going the same path...and we found he needs to lose like 12 inches from his gut. It was a definite wake up call to him for his doctor to be so forthright with him...I've told him over and over again, but God bless his doc for laying it out for him. Last week: I won. I only lost 1.2 lbs, he "lost" 0.5 lbs. (he tried to tell me he rounded his initial weigh-in because it would have been a gain..so I let him count what he thought he weighed last Sunday as his starting weight.)

Beckie, Thats awesome that he is trying to lose weight with you! Ya'll will rock and feel so much better cause you've done it togethr!

Beckie, Thats awesome that he is trying to lose weight with you! Ya'll will rock and feel so much better cause you've done it togethr!

Thanks, Suzzzie! I hope this really sticks with him. I love him dearly and I worry about his heart etc. Hopefully his doc has gotten through to him enough.

Stef, I have a question for you...our resident cycling guru. My bike is 25 years old, and I'm sure technology has changed in that time. It's a mountain bike, a Nishiki Colorado and I'm sure it was good for it's era. What's out there now in a reasonable price range for someone like me....wide cargo and all? Do you have any recommendations for starting out? Thanks!!

Anyone else's hair falling out after all this time? I know people talked about it in the beginning, but mine has been falling out big time in the last month or two, whereas it didn't at first... I am a slower loser than some, I think I've lost more in the last 3 months than the first 5, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Bcrazy, I have lost quite a bit of hair. Hubby had to unplug the drain in the bath last weekend! It was all my hair! I do think it's hard to get adequate nutrition with the band because it is hard to get enough of the good foods in, especially Protein. I lost more hair in the beginning when my weight was going down fast. I think it's tapered off, but I'm on good Vitamins now....even my leg cramps have disappeared.

Stef, I have a question for you...our resident cycling guru. My bike is 25 years old, and I'm sure technology has changed in that time. It's a mountain bike, a Nishiki Colorado and I'm sure it was good for it's era. What's out there now in a reasonable price range for someone like me....wide cargo and all? Do you have any recommendations for starting out? Thanks!!

Quite frankly, my dear, I bet your bike is just awesome. It doesn't matter how old it is, really. I would get it a good tune-up at your local bike shop and go for it! Don't let the shop go overboard, though....if you tell me where you are, I might be able to find a recommendation for you?

All that being said, you can get a decent entry level road bike for about $300. Wide cargo! LOL Believe it or not, that does NOT MATTER! I had a wide, gel seat and it killed me. Now I have this tiny, skinny little seat with a cutout in it and I can go FOREVER!

The main thing is to make sure your bike fits you. Any good bike shop worth their salt will have a pro on staff to put your bike on the trainer, tell you to get on, and measure EVERYTHING and adjust EVERYTHING to fit you.

If you decide to get a new bike, I would definitely get a road bike and not a mountain bike. They are lighter and much more comfortable, even though to look at them, you would think I was nuts for saying that. It's very true, though. Road bikes rule unless you are going hill-jumping, my dear! LOL

Let me know what you think you might do and I will try to help you get going.

Anyone else's hair falling out after all this time? I know people talked about it in the beginning, but mine has been falling out big time in the last month or two, whereas it didn't at first... I am a slower loser than some, I think I've lost more in the last 3 months than the first 5, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

My hair falls out DAILY. So annoying. My hair is still thick, but much less thick than it was. Keep the ends trimmed up - not sure WHY but it does help it to fall out less if your ends are healthy. Weirdness.

Stef, I think you are right...my bike is still pretty good. The tires are pretty shot, for sure the back one because it's original and we couldn't get it to hold air. The brakes I had redone. I got a Bell gel seat, so I'll try that out...wish I had read this before I went shopping today. lol We have one bike shop in our one-horse town, but I'll take it in there to get the tires looked at and maybe it will need a tune up. I'm wondering if they'll recommend different tires since I plan to ride it mostly on flat roads and "nice" hills!

How do you know how far you are going? I got a little wireless odometer.

I'm worried about wearing my sweat pants, yoga styled things that have floppy legs. No way I could wear shorts now though. Hmmmmm....?

Are you religious about wearing a helmet?

What's a good first goal for distance? I'll probably poop out in about 2 miles!

bcrazy - I lost a lot of hair as well. Almost 50% on top.

It is now growing back in. I have lots of one inch fuzzzies sticking up everywhere. I'm starting to look like the "crazy" lady!! No complaints though - I'm glad it's coming back in.

Everyone says it eventually stops. I know that doesn't make it easier to deal with. I had thin hair to begin with so I had lots of scalp showing!

I take a Multi-Vitamin, Calcium suppl, Iron suppl, and a folate suppl.

wombat

Stef, I think you are right...my bike is still pretty good. The tires are pretty shot, for sure the back one because it's original and we couldn't get it to hold air. The brakes I had redone. I got a Bell gel seat, so I'll try that out...wish I had read this before I went shopping today. lol We have one bike shop in our one-horse town, but I'll take it in there to get the tires looked at and maybe it will need a tune up. I'm wondering if they'll recommend different tires since I plan to ride it mostly on flat roads and "nice" hills!

How do you know how far you are going? I got a little wireless odometer.

I'm worried about wearing my sweat pants, yoga styled things that have floppy legs. No way I could wear shorts now though. Hmmmmm....?

Are you religious about wearing a helmet?

What's a good first goal for distance? I'll probably poop out in about 2 miles!

I think at a minimum I would get new tires and tubes (cheap), get everything oiled up real good, have your gears and brakes checked. Sounds like your brakes should be in good working order, though. For tires, the thinner the better...easier to ride on. As far as knowing how far I go, I have a bike GPS...I'm a gadget freak, though! Drive your route in your car to see how far it is. DO NOT WEAR YOGA PANTS! Do not wear anything that could get caught in your gears. If they are capri style, okay. Yes, I am religious about wearing a helmet...even if I just toodle around my neighborhood. Don't worry about distance to start with. Go for at least 30 minutes. If you can, go for at least an hour. Be consistent with that for a couple weeks and then up the ante by 15 to 30 minutes. If you can do this at least three days a week, working up to five days a week....you are doing fantastic! But listen to your body, and always push just beyond your comfort level. You will make progress by leaps and bounds before you know it!

OMG!

I JUST posted on the exercise thread that I want to get certified as a personal trainer and I come here and see this! That is so ODD! Maybe I should REALLY do it!