Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Insub - Thanks for the reply. It was hard for me to put that ticker up there but you know I thought about it and I was like I am sick of being ashamed of who I am. If others who have experienced the same things in life as me judge me because of what my ticker says then the H!@# with them! :star: A quick story here. I was at work one day working in the nursery with a lady that was bigger than I was. Well there was this 600+ man out side the door leaning on our hall railing because he was out of breath. She goes and stares out the window at him and says "He's so fat he's gonna break that right off the wall!" So then she goes and gets her other nurse friends to stand and gock and this poor man who is just standing there with his family. I have never felt so bad in my life so i said something. Im like "We are in the same boat as him so who are we to judge and stare. Would you like it if that were you?" And shes like "Umm no we are not even close to the same boat as he is." So tell me what is wrong with our society that even big people needed to judge and be rude to those that are extremely large? Ahhhhh I am getting so mad just writing this because I know that is where I would be many years down the road if I did not do this now (My dad was 500+lbs). So everyone just think before we stare or make comments about anyone of anysize! :)

I am 5'4" and weighed at the start of this 313lbs which is the most ive ever weighed! I dont tell my friends how much I weight or what size I wear thats just too much :) Nor do I go shopping with them for clothes even though they know where I shop because I used to be a manager and Lane Bryant. Just and FYI I think on the ticker thing you can just track your BMI or weight lost so you dont have to post your weight if your not comfortable yet. I am sure it will come with time but I dont blame you at all for not posting it up there! There are alot of mean people in this world, just hopefully not on our June group :rolleyes:. I hope that noone hear has made you feel uncomfortable in anyway. Any downward change in that BMI is a great thing so keep up the great work!!! If my memory is corrent aren't we being banded on the same day June 6th?

Becky

Hi Becky I was banded in MAy of 2007 and I just wanted to say your going to do great. When it comes to ticker when you made the decision to have Lapband you should have no more (less) worry about your weight Just look at my BMI it was over 70 but slowly its coming down So Good Luck on Your Journey:)

Toni: Are you feeling sick with the liquids or just wanting more? I know getting use to the band is not going to be easy. Maybe hubby can get you out for a ride to help take your mind off it. I know God will give you the strength to do this. He is giving all of us the strength to do this.

Crabby54: It sure has to be frustrating for you trying to get all the appts in before the preop. It will happen! I think we are being banded on the same day! I am so excited. Like you I am having a big binge weekend! I think I will go on liquids starting June 15th. That is my pre op day where I will find out more. It sounds like your MD's are making sure everything is OK before the surgery and that is a good thing.

I hope Kt999 and Nvalicia post soon.

MM: sorry you have had such a bad experience with your care. When you feel like it, I would call and/or write to the chief nursing officer of that hospital or clinic and tell them about your experience.

I am still working on trying to get my ticker posted. Well gotta run. Snoopy

Toni: Are you feeling sick with the liquids or just wanting more? I suppose I'm just wanting more out of weakness and boredom. Today my husband went to GNC to get some Isopure to help with the Protein. I don't mind the broth, but just know it's getting me nowhere as far as real strength, but hope it's helping with the healing! I really like the Centrum chewables and happy I'm getting the vitamins/minerals I need. I know getting use to the band is not going to be easy. Maybe hubby can get you out for a ride to help take your mind off it. I know God will give you the strength to do this. He is giving all of us the strength to do this. You are soooooooo right! Thanks for reminding me. Now I feel a bit guilty from complaining! Thx for putting me back on track!

Crabby54: It sure has to be frustrating for you trying to get all the appts in before the preop. It will happen! I think we are being banded on the same day! I am so excited. Like you I am having a big binge weekend! I think I will go on liquids starting June 15th. That is my pre op day where I will find out more. It sounds like your MD's are making sure everything is OK before the surgery and that is a good thing.

I hope Kt999 and Nvalicia post soon. Me Too!

MM: sorry you have had such a bad experience with your care. When you feel like it, I would call and/or write to the chief nursing officer of that hospital or clinic and tell them about your experience.

Also, MM, post when you can from home and let us know what it's like from your comfort & coziness of your own home!

I am still working on trying to get my ticker posted. Let us know if you need help with it! Well gotta run. Snoopy

Thanks, Snoopy!

Home again!! YAY!!! As soon as I went back to my room, from the hospital pc, my nurse from the day before came in...she was SO wonderful and I felt an immediate sense of relief that she'd be my nurse again today.

Well, the doc told me that I have unusally thick skin and that doing a fill without Flouro may be difficult. We shall see. On the up side, I had lost more with my pre-op diet than I thought, for a grand total of 31 pounds since January! Sweet! Especially since I wasn't watching my diet AT ALL the month of April and half of May!

The surgery went off without a hitch, just had a hard time shaking the anesthesia....once I got that all out of my system, my vitals returned to normal and I FINALLY got released.

I'm a little uncomfortable, but it's bearable...VERY swollen and VERY full of gas...I look 9 months pregnant!!! Hubby just went to get me some gas-x strips. Gosh I hope they work!

Thanks for checking up on me everyone...I hope by tomorrow to be lending a more supportive hand to all our Junies to follow!

MM, sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced...but glad to hear you're home now. Congratulations on the 31 pounds!! That's wonderful!!

ToniTeach...a thing I did for my friend when she had her sugery in January was to make her family a batch of chicken taco soup...then she could drink the broth out of it...at least it gave the chicken broth a different taste. Might help...don't know but thought I'd suggest

Best of luck to tanderson, LisaMack, huntersmom and serena tomorrow!!

I'm still waiting for my official date...hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. I'm getting very anxious.

I don't have to do a pre-op diet, except for the day before. Looks like I'm the lucky one. I saw someone else post that they were doing liquid Breakfast, lunch and snacks...might do that the week of surgery.

MM, I am glad you are home. From your post I guess I should bring some comfy clothes to wear home. I had my gallbladder out years ago and I remember the gas pains. Mostly in the shoulder area. I bought some gas-x strips just to be ready.

I bought a case of 12 Isopure clear ready-to-drink Protein, but it turns out that we are not allowed any protein during Clear Liquids.< p>

It's so interesting how the doctors have different diet plans. My diet allows those pre-made ISOPURE drinks as clear liquids. Go figure!

They all have a funky aftertaste to me, but I manged to find one I like. I've been mixing it with crystal light (1/2 pre-made crystal light to 1/2 isopure) for my pre-op diet.

I'm re-reading Harry Potter to distract me (for the 3rd time). They keep talking about pumpkins. I love pumpkin anything!!! So much for a good distraction. :-(

MM, sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced...but glad to hear you're home now. Congratulations on the 31 pounds!! That's wonderful!! THIRTY-ONE POUNDS! Holy Smokers...that's MORE than my daughter weighs! Congrats on your hard work, MM!!!!

ToniTeach...a thing I did for my friend when she had her sugery in January was to make her family a batch of chicken taco soup...then she could drink the broth out of it...at least it gave the chicken broth a different taste. Might help...don't know but thought I'd suggest SUPER Suggestion...thanks so much. I'm going to TRY to get to the grocery store tomorrow to get the ingredients and make it for dinner! Sounds perfect!

Best of luck to tanderson, LisaMack, huntersmom and serena tomorrow!! Hear, hear!

I'm still waiting for my official date...hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. I'm getting very anxious. I don't blame you----when do you think you'll find out?:phanvan

I don't have to do a pre-op diet, except for the day before. Woo Hoo!Looks like I'm the lucky one. I saw someone else post that they were doing liquid breakfast, lunch and snacks...might do that the week of surgery.

Anyone been watching TLC this afternoon? This Brookhaven Obesity Clinic is fascinating!

Yes, I've been watching the Brookhaven stories. It is really is helping me put things into perspective. I feel so fortunate!

"I'm still waiting for my official date...hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. I'm getting very anxious. I don't blame you----when do you think you'll find out?phanvan.gif"

Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday...I'll be calling tomorrow afternoon if I don't hear anything...I'm horrible that way. I must be driving the office crazy.

Wonder if you could also make some gumbo and have cajun broth with the chicken broth? I'm big on flavors...

I am watching the Brookhaven marathon and it's helping me with my anxiety. I realize how fortunate I am to have this option available and grateful that despite my age (56), I haven't developed any complications from my obesity other than arthritis.

The only problem is that I want to get all the housework done tonight and instead I'm glued to TLC. I have to be at the hospital at 6:00 AM

EST. How about you Huntersmom?

MM, great to hear you are home and feeling better. What are gas x strips? Are they hard to find? I could not find liquid gas x, only chewables? Any hints? Great on the weight loss too. I have lost 10 lbs on the preopt, 2 weeks, so my husband says, just keep doing what you are doing, and forget the surgery. My reply was, I have done that and look where I am again!!! The band is so I don't gain it back! That is our plan!!!

Becky, good for you. Sad story about your experience with co workers, some don't understand the impact of making fun of someone! My husband did not know how much I weighed until he went with me to the doctor. He was a bit shocked, and I weigh more than him, which is embarrassing to me!

Crabby, hang in there with the tests! I can understand the roller coaster it is. But hopefully the light at the end will be worth it!!

Toni and Heather, you are both such an inspiration to everyone. I hope my experiences are similar. I still can't beleive that my date is only 4 days away.

Good luck to Serena and friends tomorrow!!! You lead this weeks pack!

I have to be at the hospital at 6:30am. I am going to be in surgery at 8am. My surgeon told me that it was going to take about 45 to 90 minutes for the operation. My cousin is going to stay with my husband while it is going to get done. My anxiety level has just increased tonight.

Janine,

I saw Gas-X strips at Krogers, Walmart, and Target. I checked the website and they do not offer a liquid Gas-X. Other companies make liquid simethicone drops for infants, but you would probably have to swig half the bottle! The strips are only half the strength of the extra-strength chewable Gas-X and they don't dissolve so well if your mouth is dry.

Good luck Hunters Mom!

Thanks Serena. I will look for them!! I need to do a little bit of shopping today. I did get a pair of grey sweat capris and a matching shirt at Kohls on sale. They are PJ's but they look fine to me, so I will wear them home. Did you both pack feminine napkins? that was on my list, stating that I might need them.

Good luck tomorrow!!

mm, I did not know there would be a pc in the hospital to use? I will ask. I could bring my laptop but not sure there is wireless access.