Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post op from April 29th

I'm quite sore. I have a post op appt today and will get my drain out.! The first night home I pulled on it in my sleep and it's halfway out already. Darn. I sleep best with Lortab! Took some a few hours ago and still feel ok. I have liquid stools and tons of gas. Not the gas in your shoulders but in my GI tract! I have a two mile walk with my son tonight. Lol. We shall see if I can do it. I missed my oldest sons 8th grade graduation last night. ;-( right now I'm in bed and I don't want to get up! I need to take my regular meds but I haven't started crushing them yet. Really I just want to sleep.

PLEASE listen to your body! I'm a week out, feeling great, but no way would I attempt a 2-mile walk! I'm going to the gym today for a 20-30 minute treadmill walk, whatever I feel my body can handle. I usually walk at a fairly quick pace, which gives me a mile in just under 30 minutes, but I know I won't be walling that fast today. :)

I'm quite sore. I have a post op appt today and will get my drain out.! The first night home I pulled on it in my sleep and it's halfway out already. Darn. I sleep best with Lortab! Took some a few hours ago and still feel ok. I have liquid stools and tons of gas. Not the gas in your shoulders but in my GI tract! I have a two mile walk with my son tonight. Lol. We shall see if I can do it. I missed my oldest sons 8th grade graduation last night. ;-( right now I'm in bed and I don't want to get up! I need to take my regular meds but I haven't started crushing them yet. Really I just want to sleep.

PLEASE listen to your body! I'm a week out, feeling great, but no way would I attempt a 2-mile walk! I'm going to the gym today for a 20-30 minute treadmill walk, whatever I feel my body can handle. I usually walk at a fairly quick pace, which gives me a mile in just under 30 minutes, but I know I won't be walking that fast today. :)

Yes it is very important to listen to your body I think a 2 mile walk will really be overdoing it and just had surgery

Dsmith_rn how many days post op are you? I have been sipping Water but yesterday was the first day I could eat a Popsicle with out me dry heaving. Today is day 3 post op for me. Positive thinking everyday to get me thru these harder days. Thanks for the posts!

My surgery was last Friday, exactly one week ago today, at about 2pm.

Today may be a little tough for you because the swelling in your sleeve will be at its peak until sometime tomorrow. It's not painful exactly, just very difficult to get your fluids down. I only got down 32 oz on both days 3 and 4, really working at it, the doc said that was OK. Day 5 I got in 50 oz, day 6 was my 64 oz. Every day gets better from here! Hang in there, you're past the worst of it. :)

I started full liquids yesterday afternoon after my doc appt and I feel SO much better! I don't have the weakness and hunger that were plaguing me day and night on clears.

I had my daughter take me to Panera bread to get some Soup. I had her check to see what they had so I didn't have to walk inside and be tempted. I was so hungry at that point, a stale tater tot would have looked like a feast. ..I ordered some Tomato Soup to go. When I opened the bag there was a large hunk of some delectable-looking French bread to go with the Soup. I spent a half-second mourning it, then ignored it and asked my daughter to take it away and tried not to think about it.

I got out one of my tiny demitasse spoons and ate about 1/4 C of the soup in tiny bites and enjoyed it thoroughly! And guess what? I went from being so hungry I'd eat a raw squirrel to FULL after 1/4 C of soup!

That was the first time I really felt my sleeve working, and it was amazing and encouraging and exciting to me. 1/4 C isn't much, but I'm sure I've still got a lot of swelling in there and the capacity will get bigger as I heal.

I waited at least 30 minutes before I drank anything because I didn't want to wash the soup out of my sleeve and be hungry again, but about 1.5 hours later I wanted to try some SF chocolate pudding since it is now on my approved list. Not because I was hungry, but because I wanted to taste something chocolate. It was a tiny 3 oz cup, and I could barely eat half of it (slowly) before I was so full I realized another bite would be very uncomfortable. Seven hours later I still wasnt hungry!

I did have more soup for dinner, I managed 1/3 C (that's the amount my doc suggested) and was extremely full afterwards. I never got to finish that other half of my pudding, which I realize now is totally OK!

I was very briefly sad when the realization really hit me that I will NEVER AGAIN be able to sit down and eat a large portion of something, or taste everything at the potluck that looks good, no matter how good it tastes. I allowed myself to mourn that just a little bit.

Then I reminded myself THANK GOD I can't ever do that again! It's not something I should ever do, and it is what got me in this mess to begin with to the point I had to turn to surgery to regain my health!

This morning I had a Protein shake for Breakfast (raspberry mocha). I enjoyed it and it made me full. I am learning about my new sleeve, and each day I appreciate (and maybe even LOVE) it more! :)

That sounds awesome I will be a week post op on Tuesday at 730am. I have a post op appt Monday with my doctor I hope I am doing as well as u! I had 2 oz of Protein Shake for Breakfast and a Popsicle for lunch of course sipping so I won't get dehydrated. I do feel better today just still very tired & sleepy! Thanks 4 your post! :)

That's normal to feel tired and sleepy day by day it will get better.

This evening I finally ate a Popsicle and it stayed down. Feeling better with the gas pains doing more moving. I am only doing sips of Water and then the Popsicle. Take it slow. I am surprised they gave u juice since it has acid in it. I hope u get to go home soon! Good luck! Keep posting!

I am 15,days out and im still having a hard time keeping anything down wen will the pain in my throat go away, I vomit all day long,

I have not had anything pain wise except gas pains. I know everyone is different maybe call your surgeon to make sure everything is normal. Good luck!

I am 15,days out and im still having a hard time keeping anything down wen will the pain in my throat go away, I vomit all day long,

I sincerely hope you have called your doctor. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! I am 7 days out, no nausea, keeping down applesauce and Soup no problem (I eat slow). Please call your surgeon if you haven't already, and let us know what happens?

This evening I finally ate a Popsicle and it stayed down. Feeling better with the gas pains doing more moving. I am only doing sips of Water and then the Popsicle. Take it slow. I am surprised they gave u juice since it has acid in it. I hope u get to go home soon! Good luck! Keep posting!

I did not hay any problems wit my throat, maybe you need to call the Dr. don't think that's normal.

I did not go on the two mile walk. My husband took our son instead. I'm not that crazy! Taking the drain out did not changed my pain levels at all. :-(. It's manageable. I'm just taking it easy this weekend. Happy to be getting down some fluids today. According to my diet directions I can start puréed foods on Sunday.! I'm not sure I'll be ready for those yet! A burrito sounds so good! I know that won't go down well! I made some jellies with extra Protein in it today and I have had some chicken Soup with protein too. I ordered some unflavored and some chicken soup flavored from Unjury today. Glad I got their sample pack so I could see how each thing tastes. I'm over sweet drinks! The chicken is so nice warmed up and it goes down very smoothly. I think warm liquids feel better going down. Less cramping.

Vomiting is not normal! You should call your surgeons office. I haven't been nauseous since the day of surgery. Zofran was my friend. Now I have some at home if I need it. So far I havent needed it. All day vomiting! I'm so sorry! That sounds miserable.

I did not go on the two mile walk. My husband took our son instead. I'm not that crazy! Taking the drain out did not changed my pain levels at all. :-(. It's manageable. I'm just taking it easy this weekend. Happy to be getting down some fluids today. According to my diet directions I can start puréed foods on Sunday.! I'm not sure I'll be ready for those yet! A burrito sounds so good! I know that won't go down well! I made some jellies with extra Protein in it today and I have had some chicken Soup with Protein too. I ordered some unflavored and some chicken soup flavored from unjury today. Glad I got their sample pack so I could see how each thing tastes. I'm over sweet drinks! The chicken is so nice warmed up and it goes down very smoothly. I think warm liquids feel better going down. Less cramping.

I'm relieved to hear you didn't go!

I went to the gym today for the first time after surgery, 1 week post-op. I intended to do 20-30 minutes on the treadmill, whatever I could tolerate.

I only did 15 minutes on the treadmill (0.6 mile) at a slower pace than I usually walk. I started getting a cramp in my right side, which I ignored and pushed through until my stomach started hurting so I stopped. I did a little strength training (very little), then 15 minutes on the stationary bike. I felt sufficiently tired by then to call it quits and I walked home (it's only a block away).

It wasn't much, but I felt proud of myself for doing it and I know I will go further next time!

Not normal. Have you spoken with your doc?

Home from hospital the vomiting has stopped I can get half cup miso Soup down nothing else but I'm home n do hv sips Water day 4 post op