Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thyroid (hypo) condition and gastric bypass anyone?

Hi guys, i have a quick question and I will keep it short to save you time. Does anyone have hypothyroid and chose to get the bypass? I was on my path to the r n y and suddenly got diagnosed with hypothyroid which is horrible (slow thyroid). Makes you feel weak, can't lose weight, super fatigued, brain fog, joint pain, headaches and hair loss and dry skin. Oh Joy! I'm also insulin dependent diabetic. Icing on cake here.... So I'm wondering will I have a double dose of what everyone else expects while recovering from r n y surgery? Any advice is welcomed as I have become you tube obsessed and online research gonna make me bonkers. Thanks in advance.

Yes mere. I have high thyroid .. Whatever that is. I just haven't been scheduled for surgery yet. This is my last month for the journey and I meet w the surgeon June 4.. Super excited

If you have high thyroid then you have HYPERthyroid.

Do you think I'll be approved ?

It's ok! :) You were scared off by someone?? I've learned a lesson too- don't go into the rant section. lol

PCOS is tricky to diagnose, even with a blood test. Most all of my gyns in the past and PCP said it's not evident but my Reproductive Endocrinologist confirmed it. All of us PCOSers each have different sypmtoms, another reason why it's hard to diagnose. In my case my body makes too much estrogen compared to progesterone (and found out I was one stage away from having cancer after they took my uterus out last November due to Complex Hyperplasia), cysts on ovaries, I don't produce (or not enough anyway) of the hormone that releases the eggs and didn't have menstrual cycles unless I induced them by taking progesterone. It's a whole endocrine system issue, not just with the female parts. It's been totally frustrating to me that since my uterus is no longer there my drs won't even bother checking my hormones anymore :( Just because it's gone doesn't mean the PCOS is gone. It will always be there. Meds can help reduce the symptoms. Insulin Resistance can also be a part of PCOS. Fortunately I don't have that but have been on the meds to help that (metformin/Glucophage). I quit taking them though because my stomach just can't handle them. Other women have success on it though, ovulate and have normal(ish) cycles. Losing weight with PCOS is doubly hard. We usually carry the weight on our mid section. Also, thyroid issues is common too, as is anxiety, and other stuff. I am on .75 mcg of levothyroxine. I was taking .88 mcg but my hair was falling out more and straw-like. Or maybe that was when I quit taking it for a while because I was 'testing' to see how my levels were. lol ya, I think it was the latter.

Oh! and if your hair is falling out too, I found a GREAT shampoo!!!!!! Nexxus Youth Renewal Rejuvenating Shampoo and conditioner. You can buy it at Walmart. It's AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I used to get handfuls of hair every day and clog up the shower drain. Now I only get a few hairs that come out every day.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know. LOL! If you ever want to chat, just holler! :)

I thank you and take my hat off to you. You are by far a very courageous woman. The things we women must face and walk the earth to try and figure out.. I know I am dramatic but that is how I feel, lol. It is like you are in a maze and on this blinded journey to figure it all out. So, as far as what you tell me, I am with you every step of the way. Now I look back and put peices together. Many moons ago I too had all those symptoms you tell me about and remember getting the progesterone shots, had gyn say something about a small cyst and nothing to worry about. Fast forward to past recent years (if that makes sense) and I developed insulin resistance and hello mid section belly that grew like I was growing an alien. LOL Last year I also got a partial hysto and bazinga, my sugar went through the roof, lost all my energy and have not gone back to work since- (could barely get out of bed.) So my hyster sister we could be twins and I am grateful for your time and your story. I send you hugs and a big smiley face. xoxo

Do you ladies think that having elevated thyroid and triglycerides will decrease my chances of being approved for the surgery ??????

Hi guys, i have a quick question and I will keep it short to save you time. Does anyone have hypothyroid and chose to get the bypass? I was on my path to the r n y and suddenly got diagnosed with hypothyroid which is horrible (slow thyroid). Makes you feel weak, can't lose weight, super fatigued, brain fog, joint pain, headaches and hair loss and dry skin. Oh Joy! I'm also insulin dependent diabetic. Icing on cake here.... So I'm wondering will I have a double dose of what everyone else expects while recovering from r n y surgery? Any advice is welcomed as I have become you tube obsessed and online research gonna make me bonkers. Thanks in advance.

Yes mere. I have high thyroid .. Whatever that is. I just haven't been scheduled for surgery yet. This is my last month for the journey and I meet w the surgeon June 4.. Super excited

Yes, I don't see why not... SOme docs say that after your surgery maybe your thyroid can resolve itself. It's not a guarantee and I am no doctor but I do read like a mad woman and research everything. If you have hyperthyroid that means you have a super fast metabolism and maybe you will lose weight. Do research it, it's called graves disease, my husband was diagnosed with it (hyperthyroid) and I have the hypothyroid (slow thyroid) maybe opposites do attract. Ask your doc all the questions and then go home and look it up. Take good care of yourself as hyper or hypo affects all of your cells, your entire body and brain. Good luck. I am here for you if you need.

Yes, I don't see why not... SOme docs say that after your surgery maybe your thyroid can resolve itself. It's not a guarantee and I am no doctor but I do read like a mad woman and research everything. If you have hyperthyroid that means you have a super fast metabolism and maybe you will lose weight. Do research it, it's called graves disease, my husband was diagnosed with it (hyperthyroid) and I have the hypothyroid (slow thyroid) maybe opposites do attract. Ask your doc all the questions and then go home and look it up. Take good care of yourself as hyper or hypo affects all of your cells, your entire body and brain. Good luck. I am here for you if you need.

Thank you so much. I've done all the appointments I just have the psych Eval, and the pcp follow up all this week coming. Then my second visit with my surgeon June4th. I have a bmi of 47. Weigh 253lbs ...

Do you ladies think that having elevated thyroid and triglycerides will decrease my chances of being approved for the surgery ??????

No, most all of us have elevated triglycerides and the surgery will resolve that. Some insurance companies want that as one of their risk factors and help us qualify for the surgery. You will be sent for testing prior to approval or during... They will check your heart, lungs, your stomach for h pylori, psych eval and nutritionist. If you have any risk factors for surgery like a heart issue, you will be sent for a stress test. At least that's what they did with me. Don't worry just move forward and go to your surgery center and ask for help, your coordinator is usually the one who eases all your worries and us here too. Good luck.

High thyroid has nothing to do with being overwt. In fact, typically it causes wt loss, but has to be treated with radioactive thyroid or sometimes removed as my friends was

No, most all of us have elevated triglycerides and the surgery will resolve that. Some insurance companies want that as one of their risk factors and help us qualify for the surgery. You will be sent for testing prior to approval or during... They will check your heart, lungs, your stomach for h pylori, psych eval and nutritionist. If you have any risk factors for surgery like a heart issue, you will be sent for a stress test. At least that's what they did with me. Don't worry just move forward and go to your surgery center and ask for help, your coordinator is usually the one who eases all your worries and us here too. Good luck.

I've done all .. I did EKG my heart is good, I did the ultrasound Monday May12. I did the upper GI, I did the pulmonary as well I aced them all.. I just have a little reflux. My issue is my triglycerides, and my hyperthyroid.. Also I have high cholesterol yikes and my sugar levels just go up and down.. Which makes me pre diabetic

g

Thank you so much. I've done all the appointments I just have the psych Eval, and the pcp follow up all this week coming. Then my second visit with my surgeon June4th. I have a bmi of 47. Weigh 253lbs ...

Awesome! you are on the right track. I need a few appts too. I did my heart echo and stress test, thank God it all came back good. I need pulmonary, psyche, NUT and H pylori test. I already met with the surgery center coordinator and a Nurse for a check up. I was 248.7 and am 243.0. I was 240 but three pounds chased me down and got me! I am very short, only 5ft so this is a lot of weight for my small frame. :/

I've done all .. I did EKG my heart is good, I did the ultrasound Monday May12. I did the upper GI, I did the pulmonary as well I aced them all.. I just have a little reflux. My issue is my triglycerides, and my hyperthyroid.. Also I have high cholesterol yikes and my sugar levels just go up and down.. Which makes me pre diabetic

you are a champ! Breezing through it all. So don't worry that you won't be approved or that your thyroid will stop your surgery. It's just a by product of our messy metabolism and endocrine system. You will be a ok. :)

I have the same issue as you, and I have only found out on the pre-op blood test. So me and my surgeon decided to not start anything until 3 months after my surgery when I due for another blood test and he wants to see if maybe with weight loss the hormonal issue will resolve by itself. I doubdt it but I am willing to give a chance and I hope for the best!!! I have to add that my slow thyroid doesnt seem to affect my weightloss- When I have found out I have hypothyroidism I was worried that it will be harder for me to lose weight but I am down 8 kilos (17pound) in 15 days. I am happy with that!

Oh thank God, sounds great and congrats and that weight loss!! It sounds really reassuring and I am so happy to see you doing so well. Keep up the great work.

We just finished all that (didn't have to do any physical tests). Just waiting for insurance approval now.

you are a champ! Breezing through it all. So don't worry that you won't be approved or that your thyroid will stop your surgery. It's just a by product of our messy metabolism and endocrine system. You will be a ok. :)

I'm excited. I'm just so excited to experience change. To have the courage to actually do this. Not only for girls, but also for me. For my little family of 4. I'm the head of household as all women are. I wanna feel excited to actually run all over the place and feel so ready for another day

It's still the psych Eval that has me worried.. My husband just called me by momma . like hello I already have self esteem issues thanks to all this weight I've put on. Thing is he was just playing around .. But I still took it offensive. I don't even like going outside because of my weight