Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery is Tuesday & I'm a nervous wreck :(

I was soooo excited when I started the process back in September. Ever since I got my approval and surgery date, I have been a nervous willy. .can't sleep, don't want to socialize, just want to keep to myself. I keep thinking I will end the one 1-2%..that will end up with leaks and severe complications. .knots in my stomach. I guess it's because I'm worried about my 2 small kids..keep thinking I'm taking such a drastic measure and they will end up without a mom. Hubby says he supports me 100%. .but my parents and sisters not to keen on wls..afraid it something bad happens, they would say "told you so"..After I will feel all the pain during the procedure and I'm not able to communicate with doctor while on the table. Also I will end up having a stroke. I should be happy insurance approved me an I should be grateful. .but instead I'm in panic mode..I just want to be happy, but my fears are overwhelming me..sorry for long vent :-(

I too had these same worries and fears. I have 2 young girls and a son about to graduate high school. I was very worried. Here's the thing....1. This surgery has a lower mortality rate than gallbladder surgery. 2. The complications Usually happen to people with other issues going in besides being overweight. 3. If you don't do this...will your kids have you when they are older? Not trying to away you. We all have to make our own choices...just want you to think about wha you really want and why...you began this journey in the 1st place. Believe me when I tell you I was right where you are and the fear was consuming me...finally I had to "get a grip" and remind myself over and over why I was doing this.

I too had these same worries and fears. I have 2 young girls and a son about to graduate high school. I was very worried. Here's the thing....1. This surgery has a lower mortality rate than gallbladder surgery. 2. The complications Usually happen to people with other issues going in besides being overweight. 3. If you don't do this...will your kids have you when they are older? Not trying to away you. We all have to make our own choices...just want you to think about wha you really want and why...you began this journey in the 1st place. Believe me when I tell you I was right where you are and the fear was consuming me...finally I had to "get a grip" and remind myself over and over why I was doing this.

Thank you so much for the reply. .feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. .I feel frozen like I can't do anything. Wanted to go shopping for when I get back home from surgery. .my jelly, popsicle & broth. .and clean the whole house up..did half the house..lol..thank God I have no health issues. Just weight issue, which has affected my life for the last 10yrs..and it got worse within the last 5 yrs. .never want to go anywhere. Just church & work. .wow can't believe how being overweight affects people so much. I even got to the point I don't even want to be intimate with my husband and it has put a strain in our marriage.

I am excited for you because from Tuesday, life will never be the same again - it will be better than you can imagine!

It won't be easy - there will be pain to start with, discomfort, tears, gas and shock as the new normal kicks in. Then the weight loss starts - and then you might stall. You'll worry if you did the right thing - then you might find that your hair starts falling out. Then you question if it was worth it....

You'll think about the downsides less and less as you weigh less. As your energy and zest for life returns. As you laugh more. As you shop for smaller and smaller clothes. As you cuddle up to your husband. As you feel happier than you have done in years....

So you might be being a Nervous Nellie today, that's understandable. We have all been there. I was so organised, I was driving myself nuts, lol! But this is a big move so if you weren't worrying, I would be worried for you.

Best of luck, I wish you everything you wish yourself - and a bit more - following your surgery. Just keep breathing! :-)

I'm with you- I'm a wreck. Scheduled on Wed. Just trying to stay busy.

This is one of the safest WLS - on these forums I've read of very few people having complications. And when the complications are there --they get resolved. I was in the hospital overnight and home the next day - no complications.

It is life changing. Never did I imagine that I would lose 25 pounds in 3 weeks, I have to clean out my closets every weekend due to the changes in my body.

As my doctor said after surgery - OK the easy part is over, now comes the work and boy, was he right.

It isn't easy - the first couple days I doubted I did the right thing. After about a week I started to feel like myself - learning my new stomach.

The risk is worth the reward. Think about what will happen if you don't take this step. Life is too short to be miserable / unhappy and unhealthy.

I wish all of you the best.

I'm in your shoes! I can't sleep. Thoughts are consuming me! Helps hearing these positive posts!

I am scheduled for the day after Easter, too and I'm as nervous as you guys. It's weird because I had kidney cancer two years ago and was completely calm going into that surgery. And, that was open surgery! This time it's less invasive and I'm freaking out! I am trying to keep calm by prepping myself. Walking for ten minutes every hour I'm awake, Listing what I need to take to the hospital, getting all my Vitamins, trying to "meal" plan. It's just got me going all kinds of bonkers! I wish all of you the best of luck with your surgeries! Keep posted on here to let us know how you are doing.

You are going to be fine. Those feelings are normal, I felt the same way. I remember back in November you were waiting for a surgery date, boy does time fly...it's finally here. YAY, Good luck!!!

My surgery is tomorrow! I'm super excited! I thought I'd be a nervous wreck, but so far so good. I think my stomach was in my throat the other night though and I couldn't sleep, but today, I'm good. Good luck to you also!

Good luck everyone. I just had mine last wed. I must admit the day after surgery I had wish I didnt do it. But by the 3 rd day was feeling pretty good. Didnt have much pain. Nausea was my enemy but cant complain now. Just remember the pain and discomfort will pass soon. Do as thr drs tell u and you'll b ok. Good luck

You will be fine, these feelings are sooo normal! I was a wreck, so badly that I postponed surgery for a month...and BELIEVE me, the worry was much, much worse than the surgery. I was on my feet within hours, and able to drink and sip the next day. I have had no complications other than reflux since surgery. I love the sleeve!

Good luck today. Just a lil positive note. I know how youre feeling. All of us who have beened sleeved have been there. But with my sleeve on april 9 and my 5 day preop diet so far ive dropped my bmi 5 points already. Think positive !

I have my surgery on April 10. I have been nervous since weird little aches and pains. I have been second-guessing myself a lot. However reading all of these post really brings inspiration. I am thankful to have sites like these to help support me. Good luck to all the fellow sleepers out there! We can do this!