Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you FEEL during the lap band experience?

Hi all,

I am just beginning to consider the Lap Band and research it. I have read about PB, sliming, foaming, vomiting, post op pain and gas, hunger while doing the liquid diet stages, etc. What I would really like to know is how do you feel on down the road with the lap band. Are u starving the entire time you are losing? Do you get to a point where you eat less but don't feel gnawing insatiable hunger? Please let me know - is it really worth it?

Well, everyone's answers will be slightly different. I did not have post-op pain. You will be hungry once you heal, the swelling goes down and before you have a fill. Eventually, your hunger will decrease substantially and you will eat less. But, keep in mind that it is a process or journey as people say. I would say most would agree it is worth it, but it is not without its challenges. Keep researching and go with your gut.

Hi Hope4Life, welcome to LBT! You found the right place to ask questions, and get some answers!!!

I have not been hungry in almost 9 months! NOT hungry! I occasionally will feel a little twinge of something like I am empty---but that gut wrenching hunger---is gone! During the liquid stages following surgery, there was hunger. BUT I was losing weight so fast, it made it seem successful! Helped me get through that stage! Then when I got my first fill, at 8 weeks after surgery, I began to get restriction, the first just helping, but not eliminating the hunger, the second got rid of it!!!

How I feel now, a year later---is normal. I don't think about food any more than the woman next door. I no longer plan my dinner as I eat my lunch. I no longer wonder if a meal I order is going to be enough when we go out. I eat an average of say a cup of food at each meal, and have a couple of Snacks through the day. I could probably lose better if I dieted...but I don't. I eat anything, just in smaller quantities.

I have PB'd 2 times in the year. Once I tried to eat a glazed donut---didn't work. I slimed, and since I wasn't "experienced" yet, I tried to swallow the excess saliva---and made myself get sick---or PB. I do not eat glazed donuts! The only food so far I have totally boycotted!!! The second time, it was popcorn chicken. I was shopping with my granddaughter, and bought her some popcorn chicken, and some flashback hit me, I grabbed a piece popped it in my mouth chewed, maybe once or twice, and swallowed! As it slid down it hit me what I did!!! It stuck---and I ended up sliming and PB'ing it up. I did not give up popcorn chicken, in fact had it today---but chewed it well!

I had very little post op gas, but I walked like crazy following surgery, and it helped with what I did have.

There has been very little issue or problem with my band, I love it. I am down almost 90 pounds in the last year. I have been on a plateau for a couple of months now. I might see about another fill, I may just wait it out. I am eating and living a whole new life, and not regaining any weight!!!

I cannot say how "worth it" this band has been to me---it gave me my life back!

Good Luck on your research---this is an awesome site, enjoy it!

Kat

Thank you for your replies. I was mainly concerned that I would feel tired or fatigued by eating a lot less. I am always tired now, what with carrying about 125 extra lbs., but I guess I was looking for hope that I could feel more energetic and enthusiastic about life. It's great to hear that the system works if you commit to it. Thanks again!

As for the whole energy thing... Make sure you get in the correct amount of Protein in every day. This is very important or you have no energy feel lightheaded and woozy...I know this because the first few days after surgery I wasn't able to get in enough protein because the particular Protein Powder drinks I went with were way to THICK for ME. I've found a match for me and I feel like a new person.

I'm not sure what happens with the port (where you get a fill) Does it stick out of your side ? Can you see it ?? Or is it just under you skin??

I feel very much like I did before banding but healthier and fitter and much more attractive!

I still suffer from head hunger to a degree, but I can control it now, partly due to not being able to overindulge and I honestly feel like why wreck my day's diet with a cookie or two if I cant have the joy of stuffing 17 of them down my gullet. Really. I dont enjoy those foods as much in tiny quantities in tiny bites, the experience just isnt the same.

The only downside is I do get a bit tired of other people's poor eating habits. I've just been away for Easter with some friends and it was take away food every night. Five nights ofdoughy pizzas and other crap, I managed to feed myself well, and I actually can eat those foods if I choose to but I just a) cant be bothered becasue they're difficult and :) dont want to because they're horrible, worthless foods. I dont like being a picky eater like I have become.

Hi Kat: Loved reading your post. One of the things that stood out for me is the fact that you eat only 1 cup of food at a sitting!!?! Yikes I can not even imagine eating that little at one time now. I am not banded and realizing my portion sizes are what got me obese in the first place. Did you go through any food or over eating withdrawal. I feel like food has always been a drug for me as well as I just was born with a large appetite!

thanks

Margs

Hi all,

I am just beginning to consider the Lap Band and research it. I have read about PB, sliming, foaming, vomiting, post op pain and gas, hunger while doing the liquid diet stages, etc. What I would really like to know is how do you feel on down the road with the lap band. Are u starving the entire time you are losing? Do you get to a point where you eat less but don't feel gnawing insatiable hunger? Please let me know - is it really worth it?

I feel hungry late a.m. and I have a Protein shake which holds a few hours. I can eat anything I want just in smaller portions. I try and have solid Protein for lunch and dinner. That holds you longer. As far as PBing goes, I do that every other day or so. Its no big deal. For me, I get first bite syndrom. That is when the stoma isn't really ready for food. I PB then often times resume eating. I am not as hungry as I use to be. It is totally worth it. You can manage food much better being banded. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. It is really that simple.

Good luck. Julie

Margs---sometimes I can say I WANT to eat more of something--more so in the begining than now---but just cannot do it. I have learned through this, that the first few bites, are the ones you REALLY taste. After that, my taste buds seem "used to" the taste, and I am eating more out of habit than anything. So now I concentrate on the flavor, and texture, and since you must chew longer--I try to enjoy a few bites of everything we are having. It leaves me feeling like I am not being deprived!!! Now I do concentrate on filling up with more solid Protein, than say carbs offered at dinner. For instance, we went to dinner the other night, pre banding, I would have ordered the larger steak, and had it with my loaded baked potato, a salad, roll---the whole 9 yards. Now I order the smallest, but best steak they have. The small filet is going to be plenty (more than enough), and it is so buttery tender, it is a pleasure to eat!!! I may take a bite or 2 of my potato---and skip the roll all together. I'll make themost of my meal between my steak, and my salad. With the salad, I used to 'load' my fork. Stab a piece of lettuce, and a slice of cucumber, or a radish, some cheese, maybe a crouton---lots of dressing...basically as much as would fit on the fork and into my mouth. I would chew several times and swallow. Well I can no longer eat that way. Each element of the salad is now enjoyed on it's own!!! I can taste the difference in the butter lettuce from the ice berg---and I know if the radish has any heat to it---because I eat each bite!

In the begining, when something tasted really good, I wanted to keep eating more---because it was good! Now, I don't concentrate on being full. I eat, and enjoy my food, and when I realize I have eaten plenty, and am not feeling the hollow like feeling, I quit. I can't call it hunger, because it does not compare to the pre band hunger---but you learn to recognize the different feelings. You relate to your body better, you enjoy the taste of your food. You don't miss the massive Super Size quantities forever! In fact soon, you will be proud of your ability to eat a normal amount, of food you know is nourishing your body, not just harming it!

Many of us used food for company, and comfort. It was always there!!! And if it wasn't---by golly there were stores FULL of it! When we were mad, sad, happy, celebrating, or mourning....food was there. And following the pre and post banding, it can and will be again---just in a different context. You look at food differently, and you eat food differently, but you still must have it to survive!!! It is not something you must say a permanent good bye too, as an alcholic does to booze. Back a year, when someone I knew had a family member pass away, I'd bake a cake, or fix a casserole to take. Now I buy deli meat, and cheese, or fruit. It extends to every part of your life. Same as your pants size changes, so does how you look at those fat filled, and sugar filled foods.

Most of us had the same fears---it is scary to change---but so worth it!!!

Kat

:) thank you so much for your insightful and thought provoking posts, they make this journey so much more pleasurable

Thank you so much Kat for your thoughtful response. I know exactly what you mean by eating to sustain healthy life in contrast to the "other" way. When I am on a great diet and feeling the first 4 weeks of enthusium that is just how I feel, the way you do now all the time! Something happens tho to my mind and I just go off the deep end or "fall off the wagon". I see that the lap band prevents you from falling?