Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you open or private about surgery and why?

I tell anyone who asks and people who just say wow u look good- some who have never met me!!!!. I've lost 130 lbs in the last year so a lot of people ask. I only knew of the surgery because someone from work talked about their journey which got me on mine. I hope someone who is struggling has learned of the sleeve from my willingness to talk about it. I will say it's embarrassing when they ask how much I've lost and I say 130 lbs.... I have lost damn near half of my body weight and it just embarrassing to acknowledge how big I allowed myself to get. I am so glad my co worker shared this surgery with me, I was on 3 blood pressure meds and a c pap machine. Now I have none of that.

Hi! New here. I kept a low profile about my sleeve (3-31-14) but then decided to go all out : I posted about it on Facebook.

Everyone was supportive, I had visitors during my hospital stay, and I've even had a few "shy" people ask me about why I made my decision.

I needed all the support I could get. Still do. :)

Well basical i am like an open book i have told tons of ppl and even strangers in begining. Like if we went out to eat and i only take 2 bites they say do u not like and i say i had weight loss surgery. Too me its not a secret: ). Esp when ppl at my work are very over weight and seen my progress i have no problem telling them everything

Only my mom and husband know. I feel like its a very personal thing and also none of anyone's concern. I also didn't want to feel like I needed to explain myself to anyone.

At first I was private but now a month from surgery I'm telling more people than I thought. I'm an open book and if they don't like it they can eff off. I'm a horrible liar anyways. I'd be too obvious trying to lie or make shit up.

I told my husband and my 3 adult children. I did not tell my parents as I knew my mother would be very opinionated. I also knew that would open up a huge risk if extended family members knowing. It is hard. At the same surgery I also had a hernia repaired so 2 weeks post op, I tell them I am still recovering from this hernia repair. Actually since my dad is also stage 4 lung cancer , I did not even tell them I was going in at all for anything initially. Only when I came home did they fi doubt I had been in the hospital. One of my daughters, who is 23, senior in college, asked me if this was not a little too drastic. The easy way out ?! So, I shut down on talking at all to her about this anymore. I need support and not opinions and judgements !

I hadn't planned on telling anyone other than my immediate family. However,in the months since being approved I have been trying to plan and prepare for my upcoming surgery on April 24th.

I have found that because I am self employed and trying to schedule time off, dealing will clients, while also juggling my 3 children's schedules, it just became to complicated to either with hold the full truth of the situation or make up another excuse.

So while I haven't gone out of my way to tell everyone, if it comes up with some one and it is relevant to our working or personal relationship... I tell them. It's been a little uncomfortable at first but it was surprisingly a positive response.

There was only one person who asked why I would want to do that so I looked at her with a completely serious face and told her... "Well, I don't want to be the first to go down when the zombie apocalypse comes." There was a long moment of awkward silence and then we both laughed... what else could she say!

I don't know... screw it I guess. I've decided to document this whole journey in photos seeing as how I am a photographer so I guess it will get out there eventually anyway

I only told my son pre-op and then my dad and step mom post-op.

But I have a friend who struggles with her weight and I feel a sense of responsibility to tell her. I feel like I'm misleading her if I don't.

I have a few family members and good friends who might also benefit from the surgery.... ;) so I haven't been too quiet about it. There are a few people who didn't know at first and a few people I didn't really want to tell, but ended up telling them anyway.

I joined a weightloss group at my gym - it's a special 6-month program of 3x per week group training, healthy recipes, nutrition discussions, etc. It coincided beautifully with my surgery (it started 1 week before my surgery)...

I had to tell them why I was taking Week 2 off and why my doc signed my health paper with some restricted activity for a month... And honestly with the way my weight has come off they'd have worried something was really WRONG or like eating-disorder issue. My pre-surgery diet started 1/27, the exercising started 2/3, and my surgery was 2/10. I am still a big heavy easily-winded person (less and less but still) and sometimes I have to rest where the rest if the class is pushing through... And yet I have personally lost as much weight as four classmates combined....55 lbs in 2 months! Almost a pound a day.

Honestly tho when I told the lead trainer she was nothing but supportive and happy. She is SO personable and so motivating, just in how she says things! Her whole family has had Bariatric surgeries of one kind or another, with mixed/limited success. She herself used to be "overweight" but decided she was into body sculpting and completely toned up, and now she's the lead trainer!

Granted my gym won't be taking promotional pictures of me for future "weight-loss warriors" programs because I had surgery TOO (therefore I'm not exactly a normal weight-loss client)... But I was relieved that NOBODY has suggested I'm "cheating". In fact, having seen her whole family struggle with food and nutrition and failed lap-bands and such, the lead trainer says that she KNOWS it isn't the "easy way out".

I think as "weight loss warriors" (love that term) it would be awesome to have a job that you taught people things like that and had exercise classes... just think how "easy" it would be to maintain when your job is to be physically sound at all times!!!

If I was young, and had good knees...I would TOTALLY do something like that... a life change is definately in order for me, and that would be so cool, but unlikely...

Congrats on finding them and your success @@elfnow

I told my immediate family. But two of them have already told other people. I got so frustrated and mad when I found out. I mean, now people I don't even KNOW now know about my surgery. That is so weird to me. It's none of their damn business. And it's not my family's business to be telling other people. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, idk. Just wish I knew why it is so hard to keep it to themselves.

I understand how you feel. I told my husband and my daughters and my best friend, while my husband told his mom who can't hold Water now everyone under the sun knows. I just feel that I told who I wanted to know and should be my place to share if I choose to.

I had the surgery in december 2013. The only person I have told is my daughter. I was only off work 3 days... which I do not recommend.... therefore no one at work suspected. I have lost 52 pounds and I feel amazing. I just tell everyone I have increased my proteins.... cut out breads (my weakness).... and started walking. All of this is true. I think its all according to who u want to share it with. Wishing u much success.... best decision I ever made

So, initially I only told my Mom, sister, husband and kids, and 2 friends.

My Mom has told the rest of our family and other close family friends she knew would be supportive.

My husband just in the last month has told his parents. We told my brother in law jist because he is a Dr, and we ask him questions from time to time.

Besides that, nobody else knows and they wont ever know, if I can help it. I just recently got back on Facebook after a year off of it. The majority of the people on there have no clue and it will be kept that way. What I do medically speaking is my business, not everyone elses business. I did post a picture showing my weight loss up to this point. The most recent pic was of me from last summer and I was 285-290. The new pic is 100 pounds less.

Everyone freaked out and I did get some questions. I didnt lie. .I told them I was doing high Protein, low carb and the people at GNC and Vitamim Shoppe know me well.

Told them I've cut portions way back and I swim, run, do the elliptical, bikes and walk with my kids. Nothing ive said is a lie. Its my truth, and anyone who dares to question me publically will be put in their place by the ones that support me and by myself.

Yeaterday I even posted a pic of what I ate for lunch. The ones that don't know just see a healthy meal, not a bariatric patient meal.

:)

I tell most everyone my hernia repair makes it difficult to eat which is the truth ---I had both vsg plus hiatal hernia on 12.12.13

Happy I lost weight but not happy about all the challenges -- in 4 months out and have to remain on full liquids for another 2 months due to gastritis and inflammation caused by sutures

People are judgmental so I keep things to myself many family members and some friends don't know my whole story -- will tell some eventually when in ready

I'm not an advocate for wls cause everyone heals different and what I'm going through is no fun despite all the "looking good" compliments

I'm human and I should be eating solids

I miss food and have a hard time feeling normal these days

I tell most everyone my hernia repair makes it difficult to eat which is the truth ---I had both vsg plus hiatal hernia on 12.12.13

Happy I lost weight but not happy about all the challenges -- in 4 months out and have to remain on full liquids for another 2 months due to gastritis and inflammation caused by sutures

People are judgmental so I keep things to myself many family members and some friends don't know my whole story -- will tell some eventually when in ready

I'm not an advocate for wls cause everyone heals different and what I'm going through is no fun despite all the "looking good" compliments

I'm human and I should be eating solids

I miss food and have a hard time feeling normal these days

Sandi, I had similiar story as yours. I had a slight double stricture. Dealt with full liquids until about month 5. Now at 6 months I can finally eat. I finally feel like I can enjoy the journey now.

:)