Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 4/2 lapband surgery story

CherylS.- I was just banded 4-2-07/Monday. I have a one year old daughter. I feel good and have been out everyday since surgery. I try to do no lifting, pulling/pushing. I did light house work for the first four days. Was driving on Wednesday. Took care of my little Mazie on Thursday- a little too much too soon. Friday sent her to Granny- so I could rest. I do suffer from insomnia - so I have not had as much sleep as I should have gotten- maybe that's why I needed to rest Friday. I would not drive if taking prescription pain relief. Take it easy -- not easy for most moms to do - but do take it easy. I don't mean just lay around in bed for days... but don't do as much as you feel like you can do ... it may be too much and you won't know til' it's too late!! Good luck and health to all!

AMWLADY......Congratulations on a successful surgery!!! We had surgery the same day!!! liquids or mushies? I'm on liquids at least until' 4-10-07 when I see doctor.

[some people dream of success...while others wake up and work hard at it.]

Here's my banding story....

I attended several seminars and read up a lot on the procedure. My surgeon, was so great. He had been banded himself! I know family history isn't the only reason we're obese, but my family history of three obese deaths, really got me scared. I spent the last thirty years yo-yo dieting. :) Down 50 lbs, up 60 lbs. You get the message. Anyway, he required me to do two weeks pre-op on a liquid diet using Optifast. The first two days were really hard, but, looking back it was the best way to go. It teaches your body that you don't have to live to eat, but eat to live. A bonus....I lost 13 lbs.

Banding date was Tuesday, April 3rd, at 10:00am. I took an anti-nausea pill, (Avent) prescribed by my surgeon, at 8:00pm on Monday night, fasted after midnight and arrived at the out-patient center at 8:00 am.

The staff was very, very professional. Karen, my "friend" from the Lap-Band seminar stayed with me in pre-op and talked to me. That calmed me a lot. My anesthesialogist was full of information, (she spoke in a nice, quiet voice) reassuring me that everything would be fine. She gave me a plastic breathing device to use at home in which you insert a tube into your mouth and try to raise three balls, hold for 5 seconds, then breath out. She said this would help put oxygen into my lungs and release the gas that would be pumped into my body. Believe me, it really helped. I put on the gown, slippers, and cap, got

rolled into the adjoining operating room, placed on the bed, and that's all I remember. I was told the surgery took under 30 mins. No complications, no nausea, no after-affects, no immediate pain. They had me up and walking within 5 mins in the recovery room. I was very drowsy, to say the least, but recovered really fast. My nurse helped me change into my clothes and my husband assisted me to the car. I was home by noon!

Day 1, I felt very tired and sore, but walked gently for one mile with my husband's company. I took liquid Tylenol w/codeine at bedtime which helped me sleep. Day 2, I was alert but sore, which I expected. The only sore area was the port incision. I felt nothing at all in the smaller 4 incisions. As a matter of fact, they were hardly noticeable. I continued to consume at least 60-80 ozs of fluids per day, mostly Swanson chicken broth, apple & white grape juice, gatorade, and Water. No coffee for now. I did experience diarrhea. But that's because of all the juices. I wasn't concerned. Day 3, about the same, some discomfort, not bad really, liquids, sipping all the time, walking about two miles, one in the morning and one in the evening. (I'm lucky to be in Hudson, Florida) Day 4, I started with the gas pains. Neck, shoulders, and I used a heating pad. That helped a lot. I did forget to buy Gas-X, which my daughter, who was banded on 12/5/06 reminded me had really helped her. So that's my next step. Buy some Gas-X!! Day 5, I woke up much better. My husband and I went to the local flea market where I walked a lot. Then to the supermarket for some groceries, and back home. All in all, I had a very easy experience. The most important thing is to have complete confidence in your surgeon and staff. I hope this is helpful to those getting banded in the future. :gluck:

I love love love the stories from folks about their first week or so....it really helps me to know what to expect. This was a great posting...your walking is an inspiration to me....I hope I can have as good a recovery as you did! Keep up the great great work!

KYsunshine