Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Sleeve Gastrectomy and How and Why it can Fail (Surgery Current Research 2014 publication)

Weight gain is the nightmare we all fear and live with. I am not cured of obesity, I'm simply in remission. There is no doubt in my mind I could gain back every pound I lost. There have been a few key statements people have made in this thread that resonate with me. Paraphrasing here:

• Success requires vigilance
  • Success requires self-honesty about what we eat
  • Success requires tracking as a way of accomplishing both of those

When I'm vigilant about my diet by weighing, measuring, tracking, and recording, I do best. I can do a WHOLE lot of damage in a just an hour or two. I don't have a normal body or metabolism, and I know deep down there is very little wiggle room for me. Don't get me wrong, I do let my guard down from time to time, I do get weary of the constant struggle, but I have to keep my eye on the prize. I love the way I feel and look, and I am grateful for what I consider to be a gift of being thin. I remember that, and it helps me to continue to do the things that have led to success. In the end, I have way more control over my success or failure as a result of having the sleeve than I did before surgery. I hope the "reset" stays reset!

I am the rare "non tracker" but I use the scale and fitted clothing as my accountability. I view it pretty simply....do what you did to get to goal. Really goal is not the finish line, in some ways it is just an arbitrary milestone. Health and fitness isn't a thing you find and then say...whew, glad I can cross that off my list. It's ongoing, and to me maintaince takes diligence while finding a lifestyle that is richer than just obsession with eating and exercise. I too live with guarded optimism about my long term weight management.

@@CowgirlJane, I really wish I could be like you. I did a little experiment this week. I stopped tracking for a couple of days, and I just now logged my calories (that I can remember) and I was around 1500 or more per day. That's enough for me to gain. I really wish I was someone who didn't have to do it, but I'm just kidding myself if I think I can do that. I'm mindless if I don't force myself to be mindful about what goes in my mouth. Mindful = upfront knowledge and seeing it in print for me.

I don't think the tracking keeps my life from being rich and fulfilled, though. Vigilance is different from obsession. I agree, it all boils down to learning what works for you, and continuing to do it. It took me a long time to lose the weight because there was so much of it. The learning how to manage it was the most important part of the process for me. It's probably a good thing it took so long, or I might not have really understood what it's going to take for me to remain successful.

⚠️⚠️⚠️ I was in the army, ate right and exercised but wasn't able to do as much as I hurt my back but 15 years of service... and wanted to be able to retire. I got sleeved in jan 2006. Self pay 36 bouge. I was 205-210 at starting 5'6" I got down to 143. 5 months in I got PG and had a healthy baby boy 1 mo. before my 39th birthday. I stayed thin for years however in 2011 my cspine collapsed I had surgery and started taking neurontin. I had gained some weight back by then 160's and was able to eat what I wanted. I had to stay in bed and wasn't able to do much for quite awhile. I stayed doped up and eating more than usual before and after my surery total disk replacement and fusion in my neck. Pain meds do things to your body and the neurontin made me eat. Also drank red bull I think it was flavor and the b Vitamins that made it so addicting. Long story short I have gained all my weight back it came on fast after I got to 185 and my back and hips started hurting so bad I could barely walk... Anyway. It happened to me and now I'm going to go through the sleev process all over again... This time I know what I'm getting in to as well I'm more prepared and hope against hope that I'll be able to get back to myself and exercising.

For me the right amount was fast walking 30 min, 15 min sit ups and 15 min push ups on my knees 5 days a week.

I just want people to know that this weight loss surgery is not permanent unless you make it that way. your hair grows back and you will be able to eat just about the same you ever did. Use your time to change what and how much you eat AND drink and pay attention to weight gain of 5 lbs. if that happens don't shrug it off don't buy bigger pants fit back into the small pants by exercise. You don't have to run a marathon but don't make excuses or wait because the weight can and will come back.

I hate that I wasn't able to maintain my weight and I know that I could have done more to prevent it. Sad, 44 and I can hardly move because of my Vitamin D and Calcium deficient bones and this weight just makes it worse. Please read my words and heed my 5 lb. warning. Write if you have questions⚠️⚠️⚠️

This is SUCH a great thread. Thanks to all who are contributing.

Abstract Long-term weight regain is a fearedcomplicationof restrictive bariatric operation. The Sleeve Gastrectomy (SG) is still in its early stages as a primary bariatric surgery and long-term data about its efficacy remains limited. From the long term studies available it seems that approximately one-fifth of SG patients might be at risk for long-term weight regain and about 5-10% of total SG patients will require surgical management forit. The possible mechanism behind this weight regain is slowly being addressed. Patient noncompliance with dietary and lifestyle regimens is the most practical factor that needs to be considered and can be prevented with a multidisciplinary team. Long-term gastric pouch dilatation and gut hormone modulation are other theories that have been proposed to explain this weight regain. Successful management strategies to combat weight recidivism include revisional bariatric surgery, performing a resleeve gastrectomy or the addition of an adjustable band in the primary banded sleeve gastrectomy. However, the safety of revisional bariatric surgery is a concern and should be performed only by an experienced bariatric surgeon. It remains that as the SG continues to grow as a popular choice for the management of morbid obesity, more concrete long term information will become available to address the how and why weight regain occurs. http://omicsonline.org/open-access/the-sleeve-gastrectomy-and-how-and-why-it-can-fail-2161-1076-4-180.pdf

I have gained 25 # in the last 2 months, what should I do?

My sister is 8 months out and has reached her goal. She continually reminds me that the sleeve is a tool, but it won't change your head. Restriction is definitely the tool, determination to lose is what brought us to surgery. All if our old habits font disappear without effort. I too am fearful of regain, but I plan on joining a support group, bread this forum and do the best I can one day at a time. I wish all of you the best, and know we each will do everything we are committed to do!

I have gained 25 # in the last 2 months, what should I do?

You know... get back to basics, clear the house of junk, get back to measuring and logging your food, step up the activities. I do a semi-fast twice a week to maintain. If I stop any of these things I gain. I have recently lost my mom, and the stress of this and other things have thrown my practice out of whack. I have gained around 3-4 pounds over my goal range. Even though I have been snacking and eating out a lot the last two months, my weight gain has not been more because of the semi fast days (5:2: see pinned at top of vets forum) If I tighten up my other days to 12-1500 cals a day, I should be able to get the 3-4 pounds off in a couple of weeks. I did gain 22 pounds during year 2, and after trying lots of plans to get it off, found the 5:2 worked to get it off pretty painlessly.

Like deana I was in such great shape and could choke a person with my muscle dense thighs (jogged, rode my horse 5 days a week, etc.), LOL. That was until I got a terrible pain disorder and had to take medications such as neurontin and similar meds. I also was on anti-anxiety and depression meds which are also notorious for weight gain. I was put on depression meds in my late twenties and that was when I became "overweight." I was still very active and amazingly looked good too. By my mid thirties when I was put on neurontin for trigeminal neuralgia I got to an obese BMI. It's got worse as high doses steroids where added to my drugs and I gained nearly 80 lbs. in 6 months, became cushionoid and nearly died. Two brain surgeries later and I finally was in remission and easily lost 30 lbs as I was weaned off the steroids. It stopped there and I am still battling the bulge ten years later. The sleeve is a tool I have been looking for. I don't expect to maintain a weight of 120 lbs., I am looking for a decent 150lbs. and at that weight I was a force to be reckoned with and very active.

i feel like most of you, if i gain the weight back, I have failed, not the surgery. The surgery is a tool. I am only 6 days post op, and that has been the toughest part thus far is knowing food isnt going to be a part of my life like it once was, and i wasnt the huge eater, i just had a very poor diet and would have 1 large meal a day, now i am going to have to make an "lifestyle" change and have way smaller meals several times a day, at this point i dont know if i can call them meals, we'll go with Snacks. lol

For me it has been important to shift away from "recreational" eating. My friends are all active and fit. Doesn't mean we don't enjoy going out for a nice meal but it is way down on the priority list. I won't date a foodie, I don't go out to big dinners that my meetup pals host. I go dance and other active things. If I do "eat big" I follow it with strct (read hungry) days to balance it out. Thin women my age have to do that or they get fat. I am almost 3 years out and have my struggles for sure, but I think " lifestyle change" needed is more drastic than I understood pre-op.

You have made incredible progress!!! Congratulations!!! And I agree with everything you've said. My surgery is scheduled for 12/8.

Weight gain is the nightmare we all fear and live with. I am not cured of obesity, I'm simply in remission. There is no doubt in my mind I could gain back every pound I lost. There have been a few key statements people have made in this thread that resonate with me. Paraphrasing here:

• Success requires vigilance
  • Success requires self-honesty about what we eat
  • Success requires tracking as a way of accomplishing both of those

When I'm vigilant about my diet by weighing, measuring, tracking, and recording, I do best. I can do a WHOLE lot of damage in a just an hour or two. I don't have a normal body or metabolism, and I know deep down there is very little wiggle room for me. Don't get me wrong, I do let my guard down from time to time, I do get weary of the constant struggle, but I have to keep my eye on the prize. I love the way I feel and look, and I am grateful for what I consider to be a gift of being thin. I remember that, and it helps me to continue to do the things that have led to success. In the end, I have way more control over my success or failure as a result of having the sleeve than I did before surgery. I hope the "reset" stays reset!