Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Plan Your Meals?

How do you plan your meals?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How do you plan your meals?

• I meet regularly with a nutritionist or dietitian to plan my menus.
    • I sit down on the weekends and plan my meals for the upcoming week.
    • Each morning or evening, I figure out what I will eat in the coming day.
    • I don’t plan specific meals. I just make sure to have plenty of protein and fill in the rest with vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
    • I don’t plan, but I know I should. I just eat what looks healthiest at the time.
    • Other – Read my answer in the discussion!

I really enjoyed reading all the replies! Interesting that we have so many different styles, yet it appears from the statistics that everyone is successful. I have somewhat of a mix of styles. I am extremely blessed in that my husband does nearly all of the grocery shopping and cooking (I have a very long commute and a stressful job that even has me working at home every evening). He is very conscious of my dietary needs so he usually cooks what I can have. The only exception to that is weekend breakfasts when he adds biscuits, gravy and hash browns to his meal. I just have one egg. It does not bother me to watch him eat things I cannot have. At first he did not want to eat things I could not have, and he started losing weight! He does not have a weight issue. I had to reassure him that he could and should eat what he wanted and I would be fine. I even see him have Snacks in the evenings such as chips and guacamole. I feel it is no different that all the food commercials we see on TV. I have to learn to be around foods and pass them up. It helps that I am satisfied with what I eat.

I can see that our NUTs are giving us very different advice. I am almost 4 months post surgery by my NUT said I am to stick to just 1/4 cup of food per meal and just three meals per day with two Protein shakes as my "snacks" until I reach my goal weight. I made a personal decision that she was insane because I was hungry much of the time. So I have increased to almost 1/2 cup for each meal. I also have a small snack during the day such as 8 small grapes or one clementine. I drink lots of Water. This seems to work for me. I do still follow the other guidelines such as NO Pasta, rice or bread of any kind at any time and no fried food or sweets.

Since I do not cook, I do not directly "plan" my meals for the week. I scramble eggs every 4 days or so and freeze one egg per container with either a little salsa or 2 teaspoons of gravy or shredded cheese. Whatever Protein he cooks during the week we portion out into 2 ounce servings and freeze as well as some of the vegetables. In the mornings I grab one Breakfast container, one lunch container, my fruit and I drink a ready made shake on the way to work. I often do not even know what I have brought for lunch until I open the container to heat it! No worries because I know I like all the foods I have frozen. I do mix it up a bit by taking tuna, yogurt, nuts, etc.

I do better with pretty much the same meal plan, four years out, for VSG maintenance. In March, I lost 14 pounds of the 50 regain, after I was fired from DS Surgery. I have discovered coffee shakes, salads and soy Protein and vegs for dinner is the best for me,keeping it around 800c and exercising 2.5 hrs daily. I am insulin resistant, and as soon ass my tool stopped working -- regain started -- even though I was not eating carbs...

I only plan in a very loose way, mostly by making sure I have plenty of Protein bars and Protein shakes on hand to cover when I am on the run, which is most of the time. The other staple for me is Greek yogurt.

This is not the best of plans, because I tend to make a lot of choices otherwise. What's out there is usually pretty high in fat, even when I look for the most Protein, I can get for the serving (10 - 23 gr.) on nutrition labels, along with the least fat and carbs/sugar, but a lot of Fiber. I try to get at least one small meal when I can, with some meat and a few vegetables,more emphasis on meat, and likely 2 oz. by weight or less. I find that I can eat very little else after I've eaten my protein. So, vegetables, or any type of potato would be 1/8 to 1/4 cup at most. Fruits are occasional.

So far I will go to the store an buy a large variety of different foods along with various fresh vegetables and fruits and then during the week I find I just can't eat everything and end up with quite a bit going to waste. (especially the fresh stuff). I eat primarily meats, eggs, and dairy for Protein, which means there is little to no room for fruits or veggies. I end up throwing out most of what I bought of these items each week. It appears it will be a continual learning curve.

We were the same so I decided instead of the fruit and veg going to waste. I would put the fruit and veg through the juicer and my husband and I add 1 scoop of Protein Powder to it and use it as a replacement for a snack each or every other day. Great way to squeeze the fruit and veg in and to decrease the waste.