Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got sleeved yesterday morning a and ever since, every time I take a sip, I have a burp. Sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it builds a little pressure first then a burp comes. The surgeon said its due to swelling. I also had a hiatal hernia fixed. Has any one else had the constant burps and, if so, how long did they last?

Had the sleeve, had the hernia, had the burps. Burps for me and my husband signaled us to stop eating, or drinking. Four months post op we still get the burps, but it is like the hiccups, and I slow down talking, eating and drinking and it stops. Good luck!

I am 8 days post op, and I had the same thing. It was hard to drink anything. For me it felt like the swallow would get stuck in my chest then it would build pressure my stomach would bubble and sometimes I would burp but not always. It was miserable. I lasted a full week for me. Today was the first day it didn't do it every swallow. It is really hard to get enough liquids in when it hurts that bad. I had to go back to the hospital twice for fluids the first week.

Yup.. lost of us get the burps. It gets better. .. then the hiccups arrive!

I thought I was never going to stop burping, it does get better. Now I just burp when I'm really hungry.

How long did that take? I'm three weeks and not really burping but bubbling A LOT

How long did that take? I'm three weeks and not really burping but bubbling A LOT

Im 5 months out tomorrow and while it's not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning I'm not sure it ever fully goes away

Oh great! I hate it, it's quite annoying. I was hoping when the swelling went down and the stomach adjusted a bit better the burping and bubbles would stop. The PPI help slightly but not much. ????

I am 9 days post op and I had the same thing. I always ate and drank fast. I find that if I slow down and sit straight up, it isn't as bad. The nurses gave me these little medicine cups and it helps me to slow down.

It makes me laugh to read everyone's answers, because at three months out, I still burp when I have finished eating. To me, it's a signal that I'm done.

I have heard that it is a sign of being "done" on this forum a lot but after every sip?!?! Hope this gets better!

From what I can tell, it seems like the burping is caused by the food/ replacing the air in the stomach. Since the passage to the lower end of the stomach is so small the air in the stomach has to work its way around the food which causes the burp.

Definitely a sign for me letting me know that I'm way done eating!

I too had the hernia repair, and the burps... And the stomach growls.. I try to make them quieter --lol. Thanks for the explanation.