Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When the truth is inconvenient . . .

How will I find specifically Gore's investments here?

Because, the news site reports off that F13 form that he had to fill out. Which is in the same story YOU posted!

What? You want me to go to the federal commerce building and pull the fricken original document or something?

Because, the news site reports off that F13 form that he had to fill out. Which is in the same story YOU posted!

What? You want me to go to the federal commerce building and pull the fricken original document or something?

My goodness! I'm just trying to understand. I've never seen an F13 form before so I don't know how to negotiate my way around one, or around the site that talks about them. Further, I don't see anything about an F13 form in the news article that I posted.

Pretend I've never done this before. How would I find a public and comprehensive internet listing of the investments that Gore makes?

Sorry, just I have to go for a hour search to get you proof, yet you think its fun to post articles without even thinking if they are legit or not.

You're the one who's been beating me over the head to investigate things before they're posted, so now when I ask how to get to the core information needed to investigate, you get all huffy.

This isn't what I'm looking for. This is a filing by Generation Investment Management, LLP. How would I know 1) how much Gore has invested with them, and 2) that this is his sole investment company?

You're the one who's been beating me over the head to investigate things before they're posted, so now when I ask how to get to the core information needed to investigate, you get all huffy.

This isn't what I'm looking for. This is a filing by Generation Investment Management, LLP. How would I know 1) how much Gore has invested with them, and 2) that this is his sole investment company?

Because he created the investment firm (like every other mega rich person) to handle HIS investments.

But lets skip all this.

Answer me these two questions:

1. Did the article have proof or hard evidence that Al Gore is making money off "green" companies?

2. Did you before or after reading that article have proof and evidence that that Al gore is making money off "green" companies?

Because he created the investment firm (like every other mega rich person) to handle HIS investments.

So you're saying Gore OWNS this investment firm (based in London)?

But lets skip all this.

Answer me these two questions:

1. Did the article have proof or hard evidence that Al Gore is making money off "green" companies?

I don't know. I didn't write it.

2. Did you before or after reading that article have proof and evidence that that Al gore is making money off "green" companies?

Do you have proof and evidence that he's not?

Unless you and I can dig down into some public record (and even then, we have to assume it's right) to cull the facts ourselves, there is a certain amount of reliance on outside sources. We all have to choose whether our sources are credible. We can use basic logic and reason and try to find tricks or confusing verbiage within the sources to gauge their reliability, but the bottom line is at some point we CHOOSE to believe one source over another. We also have to factor into this our life experience, which has an impact on those whom we choose to rely. You are choosing to rely on a certain subset of sources, and I am choosing to rely on another.

I am perfectly willing to accept the possibility that my sources are not credible, but to do so I'd like to see a little more than someone jumping up and down and claiming and screaming at me that I'm trying to ruin someone else's reputation.

And I again renew my question: why did a man who is presumably 100% "sold out" on the environmental movement take 5 years to complete "green" renovations to his mansion? As I said back in February,

He's been on the "green" bandwagon for years. Why did it take someone exposing him for him to make improvements on his house?

My dh and I put in a solar pool heater about 2 years ago and solar panels on our house just about 6 months ago. We do not fancy ourselves "green" by any stretch of the imagination. We did it to save money on our electric and gas bills. The only thing that stopped us from doing it previously was the cost.

Presumably, Al Gore, who has had the funding source AND the "green" drive for many, many years, would have done it prior to now. IMO, if not for someone's exposing his hypocrisy, I doubt he would have done it at all.

OMG! Is this REALLY such a hard question? It's a HUGE HISTORICAL mansion! The man also has a more-than-full-time job. Working with architects, builders, local planning for permits, etc. on a normal-sized house for normal remodeling can be a daunting task that takes months (or sometimes years) of planning. Ask any builder or architect and they'll tell you that it's much easier and takes far less time to build new. Green remodeling on the scale that he took on takes a great deal of time and research before one even gets to the permit stage (not even adding in the time for the actual demolition/building.)

You put up a couple of solar panels. He did a full-scale greening of a very old house. I don't know what the restrictions are on the area in which he lives... but friends of mine that have lived in historic houses have had to jump through hoops and wait months for approvals in order to make the smallest of changes/upgrades.

I just wanted to add he does have a charity organization that does invest in "green" companies. So Al Gore technically has a kind of "stake" in more "green" companies, however he in no way profits from them.

I don't think in anyway this suggests erroneous behavior.

Gadget... the one thing about your posts that I find very unsettling is that you're always linking to some article that is "interesting" to you. The articles in this thread, to date, have always been misleading... have had significant holes in the research that was used to write them... numerous posters correct the innacuracies... yet you charge on ahead with blinders on to the facts.

You pop off one-liners like the one about Gore "profiting" from being green... but then when confronted with his portfolio that has been presented by right-wing sources as well as left-wing.. you "suggest" that there might be more than what is being presented. Funny, but it seems like you only have that sort of in-depth desire-to-know when you think the source is from the left. You certainly don't spend any time at all researching your right-wing sources before you post their nonsense. Or is it because those types of articles are "interesting" and ones from the left aren't?

What exactly do you really believe in and how did you arrive at those beliefs? You say that you don't rely on right-wing websites or right-wing sources... but you post their links or use arguments contained in their websites in your postings on almost a daily basis.

I'm starting to think that you like the "idea" of having these views and like the "idea" of what the right-wing has to say... but don't really do the necessary quality research to back up those ideas.

I don't go on abortion-type threads so I don't know what is said there. I'm referring especially to what I've seen you post here on this thread and I find it rather confusing.

Edited by WestCoastFatGuy

I am perfectly willing to accept the possibility that my sources are not credible, but to do so I'd like to see a little more than someone jumping up and down and claiming and screaming at me that I'm trying to ruin someone else's reputation.

I didn't see any jumping and didn't hear any screaming. Unless that's the way you interpret it when someone confronts you with facts, as opposed to conjecture.

And if you're not trying to ruin Al Gore's reputation or to put it into question, at least.... what exactly are you trying or hoping to accomplish? Or are you just, again, presenting some links/conjecture that you find "interesting?"

BTW, gadget, you are one of my favorite posters... so my intention is not to attack you, but to really get to know what gives you the passion about the issues on which you post.

I should also let you know that as a result of our civil discussions on the homeschooling thread and my subsequent research that I have a newfound compassionate view for homeschoolers. While I don't agree with the reason that ALL homeschool, I believe that the majority (including you) do it for very legitimate and well-supported educational reasons and I applaud them (and you).

And before you start to think that I agree with all the views of democrats or the left.. you need to know that I differ greatly from their opinions on military cuts and a plethora of other issues. I really face each issue on a case-by-case basis. As a result, neither side would want me to work on their political committees. I'm just too much of a wild-card for them to count on.

What do you find credible in this article? You have some choices: 1) the reporting of the fact that Jesse Ventura SAID the WTC collapse was a controlled demolition, or 2) the proposition that because Jesse Ventura believes it was a controlled demolition makes it true. If #1, I think it's relatively credible that he said it. If #2, I think you have to ask yourself if he is a controlled demolition expert or if he arrived at the conclusion without much backup.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. One does have to use powers of reasoning to determine if it's credible; then again, going back to sources.

What do you find credible in this article? You have some choices: 1) the reporting of the fact that Jesse Ventura SAID the WTC collapse was a controlled demolition, or 2) the proposition that because Jesse Ventura believes it was a controlled demolition makes it true. If #1, I think it's relatively credible that he said it. If #2, I think you have to ask yourself if he is a controlled demolition expert or if he arrived at the conclusion without much backup.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. One does have to use powers of reasoning to determine if it's credible; then again, going back to sources.

My dear lapband friend... I think that was the point he was trying to make. Some stories are soooo full of holes that one just has to take "pause" and reflect on their pathetic-ness (as I coin a word).