Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Fallen of the wagon

I'm happy that you recognize your behavior. Please just do NOT make it a habit. You have worked waaaaaay to hard and I'm sure adopted a healthier way of life by now. These changes are imparative to be sucessful. We are human and we all fall short at one time or another. However, I know you can turn away from these kind of situations. i only go to a restaurant now if I am with a social event, and even then I choose extremely wisely. High Protein, lo carb & Water. Drive on by those drive thru's and remember they are probably a big source of what put us in bad shape to begin with. I'm wishing you continued success and wise choices. You are not alone on your journey. Look at all the support you have been given just on this thread! : )

First make sure your getting your Protein and Water in. I have found if I do not get enough Protein I crave bad food, also sometimes thirst disguises itself for hunger. If this is all in check then begin to think about your emotions. What is going on,how are you feeling before your drive thru? If you can pin point the emotions that cause you to want to comfort yourself with food you can then put a strategy to beat the emotional eating by finding another way to handle that particular emotion.

fear: go to the gym and feel strong

loneliness : call or meet up with a friend

sadness: cry and let it out

boredom: start a hobby

etc.

I think this is spot on.

Myself, I used food to comfort. Now, I question my motive every time I put something in my mouth. Am I feeding my body or trying to feed something else? If it is the latter, then I dig deep to find out what is going on with me emotionally. Why do I think what I am eating is going to satisfy whatever is motivating me to eat right now? I do a lot of breathing and try to re-focus myself. It helps me to center myself and my resolve.

When the urge hits to drive through, stop it in it's tracks...usually the euphoria you feel at the accomplishment of self control exceeds the pleasure from the food. And it gets easier every time you do it. I also think of what I can eat for my meal instead of that...a healthier version and start to focus on that....usually a lean cuisine (not the 'healthiest....but much better than fast food and just as quick and enjoyable in my opinion.)

Are you doing your drive-thru trips and drive-thru eating alone? Are you feeling stressed? Rewarding yourself? Stuffing down emotions? Would you make the same trips if you had company with you? I know my pre-op binges were private ways of dealing with emotion and denying it to myself later. It wasn't the food as much as the addiction rearing its head. You are an addict. You may want to start looking at it there.

Best of luck!

When I was still eating at McD's, I remember telling someone, "I don't even like it!" And yet, there I was - eating it again and again even though there were consequences (weight gain and bad feelings) for doing it.

As a general thing - people don't like to give things up unless they have something to replace those things. Drive-thrus offer that immediate gratification. How else can you get that?

The other thing that has worked for me is setting rules about those kinds of places. For example, at McD's - no more fries, remove the bun from any burgers. With enough rules in place - it just wasn't worth it to go there anymore - and now I don't.